Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 11, 2020, 05:45:25 PM

Author
Walter Hill Sent Sigourney Weaver a 50-Page Alien 5 Treatment! (Read 79,012 times)

OpenMaw

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 16, 2020, 03:49:55 PM
I'd rather have more prequel stuff or a Resurrection sequel than something that overwrites Alien 3.

Given Resurrection doesn't really feature Ripley and that the stage Resurrection set isn't particularly interesting, what would really be the point of continuing from there? That Ripley, for whatever weirdness was going on with her biology, was pretty much content with herself at the end of Resurrection. What little there was in terms of character was already fulfilled in Resurrection.

I'd rather they didn't do anything with Ripley at all, and i'd really like it if they got away from exploring destroying the literal mythos of the Alien by explaining exactly where and when it happened. It doesn't matter where and when it happened. It happened out there in space a long time ago and the result was the worst nightmares of a great many innocent people. Isn't that enough?

If they do make another prequel I want them to bait and switch. "Oh, you thought you knew? HAHAHA. Not. The Alien is so much older, so much further from your understanding then you could ever hope to imagine."

Quote from: Kradan on Jun 15, 2020, 08:16:37 PM
I love Aliens, I really do. But, God, watching it's ending now is like forceably eating sugar spoon by spoon.

"MOMMY", "Can we dream now ?"

f**k off Newt

What is with the hatred for Newt? Jesus Christ.

Quote from: szkoki on Jun 17, 2020, 07:37:51 AM
If they anyway want to continue with Ripley, just use Amanda. But give a bit better story than Isolation as looking for your mother as she might be alive is a false narrative as we already know that only goes one way.

Well, no. There were three posibilities there.

1. Amanda won't find anything.
2. Amanda finds Ripley and the series is dramatically retconned, or the games end up in their own continuity.
3. Amanda finds her mother's message.

The game even threatens us early on with the possibility that Amanda won't find anything when she discovers the flight recorder and it's wiped. 

The worst thing Covenant did to the Alien was make it feel like a sideshow in its own film series. That, and basically terrestrialisng the Alien. Prometheus and Covenant are trying to bring it all home and in the worst way possible.

Drukathi

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 17, 2020, 12:53:25 PM
The worst thing Covenant did to the Alien was make it feel like a sideshow in its own film series. That, and basically terrestrialisng the Alien. Prometheus and Covenant are trying to bring it all home and in the worst way possible.

At this moment, I always draw analogies with the SW prequel trilogy. But in the end the prequel trilogy ended with the grand Revenge of the Sith.

One difference is that Lucas loved the Jedi and the Sith. And it does not seem that Ridley loves xenomorphs or other attributes of the classic Alien.

Nightmare Asylum

Lucas may have "loved" the Jedi, but he also spent the entire Prequel trilogy highlighting the flaws of the Jedi Order and deconstructing them (not unlike TLJ, really) to tell a story that enhances Anakin's downfall and highlights that the things that Luke did right, he did because he transcended the failures of the old Order.

And here, Ridley is deconstructing the capital-A Alien to tell a story that better serves his David character, while also using David's, erm, tendencies, as a reflection of what we know, love, and fear from the classic films.

There's definitely love on both parts, but love alone isn't enough. Love alone gives you The Rise of Skywalker or Alien vs Predator. There needs to be some element of reinterpretation to put a new stamp on the material, to make a new story with new context worth telling. Covenant excels at that, in my book.

Huggs

A dream within a dream? So take out aliens and alien 3. Go back to the beginning.

The dreams started when ASH beat her into unconciousness. Now, he stares at her in her cryotube, as the company arrives onboard the nostromo, several months later.

He succeeded.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 17, 2020, 03:04:06 PM
A dream within a dream? So take out aliens and alien 3. Go back to the beginning.

The dreams started when ASH beat her into unconciousness. Now, he stares at her in her cryotube, as the company arrives onboard the nostromo, several months later.

He succeeded.

If we're gonna tell a story like that, we might as well just pick up from Covenant. :D

Huggs

Can't. Daniel's is just so....ugh.

He had a good idea, just bad placement.

Drukathi

Drukathi

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 17, 2020, 03:02:16 PM
Lucas may have "loved" the Jedi, but he also spent the entire Prequel trilogy highlighting the flaws of the Jedi Order and deconstructing them (not unlike TLJ, really) to tell a story that enhances Anakin's downfall and highlights that the things that Luke did right, he did because he transcended the failures of the old Order.

And here, Ridley is deconstructing the capital-A Alien to tell a story that better serves his David character, while also using David's, erm, tendencies, as a reflection of what we know, love, and fear from the classic films.my book.

No, I'm talking not in the context of the plot, but in the concept. Lucas loves the concepts of the Jedi and Sith as force and lightsaber users. And it seems that Ridley despises yet another film about space parasites - "they want #$@$ aliens - i give them #$@$ aliens!"
Just imagine: they want #$@$ jedi - i give them #$@$ jedi! It's imposible!

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Drukathi on Jun 17, 2020, 03:13:06 PM
Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Jun 17, 2020, 03:02:16 PM

And here, Ridley is deconstructing the capital-A Alien to tell a story that better serves his David character, while also using David's, erm, tendencies, as a reflection of what we know, love, and fear from the classic films.my book.

No, I'm talking not in the context of the plot, but in the concept. Lucas loves the concepts of the Jedi and Sith as force and lightsaber users. And it seems that Ridley despises yet another film about space parasites - "they want #$@$ aliens - i give them #$@$ aliens!"
Just imagine: they want #$@$ jedi - i give them #$@$ jedi! It's imposible!

Plot and concept are intricately intertwined though. Lucas got a lot of shit for not making his movies in the style of the OT, but spent the trilogy gradually shifting more in that direction design-wise. Ridley is doing some very similar things, in terms of the Alien's design.

Lucas has no specific love for lightsabers. Hell, he only ever calls them laser swords in conversation. He played up those elements in the prequels to showcase the failures of the Jedi of that era, when really, the most pure "Jedi" thing to ever happen in Lucas' six Star Wars films is Luke throwing his lightsaber aside while confronting his father and stating the he will not fight.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 17, 2020, 03:05:54 PM

This, unfortunately.

Noomi Rapace...

Evanus

I really liked Shaw but.. I like David more so ehh.

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: Drukathi on Jun 17, 2020, 07:42:57 AM
Quote from: marrerom on Jun 17, 2020, 03:13:32 AM
Eh, I maintain that T3 and Salvation are miles better then what when got with Genisys and Dark Fate. Look at the state of the Terminator series now. They kept trying to reset the series with sequels that ignored continuity, and now the franchise is dead like never before.

What about Predator? This series of films keeps continuity! And the result is the same as with the Terminator! I want to say for sure - it doesn't matter whether continuity is supported or not. Endless retcons and reboots don't matter - only the quality of the films! And let's be honest - to make the film a quality higher than Alien 3 - the task is quite simple.

The Predator series is very different from both Alien and Terminator. It has no real connective tissue between the films except for the creature and no overarching narrative. On the other hand, the Terminator and Alien films were invested in the characters of John Conner and Ripley and the growth they went through. Consistent world building matters. Continuity matters. Without these things audiences can't get attached to the characters or invested in the stories.  In the case of Terminator, by retconning half the series, and killing John Connor, they completely alienated the audience. 

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 17, 2020, 03:05:54 PM

He had a good idea, just bad placement.

Scott's first choice for the role was originally Rebecca Ferguson (who wasn't available at the time). Would have been interesting to see how she would have approached the character.

LV-12986

Quote from: Huggs on Jun 17, 2020, 03:04:06 PM

I'm all for a Blomkamp concept art based retcon but failing that I like the sound of this

Kane's other son

I wouldn't take the cover page quotations so literally. After all, the original script had "'We live as we dream. Alone" on its first page and it had nothing to do with the plot.

KiramidHead

I don't have this, wish I did. All I have left to cover on my show AVP-wise is the Briggs script. I done run out of Alien and Predator stuff. :laugh:

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed