Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III!

Started by Katanu, Nov 13, 2019, 06:11:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III! (Read 59,022 times)

HuDaFuK

Yeah, I really can't see them kicking off either series with an in-house crossover.

Kailem

A good podcast that pretty much covers everything there is to say. Can't really disagree with anything that was said. I still like it overall, but it's for sure the weakest of the three Hunters stories and it's a shame it didn't manage to stick the landing, both of this individual tale and also of Dark Horse's tenure with the Predator franchise as a whole.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 23, 2020, 09:53:28 AM
Quote from: Katanu on Nov 17, 2020, 08:34:16 PM
So yeah, a sad way to finish Dark Horse's Predator comics, and also not a good conclusion to the Hunters series. I hope this isn't the end, and that Marvel continues with a fourth volume for this series.

I think the problem is this wasn't intended or written as an end... It's very much another part in a longer story that we wont see played out.

I also think it was a disappointment, but only because of that. Because they'll be no further pay-off, so much so that most of what was done within the series feels pointless, I guess. We get these legacy characters back and nothing really of note seems to be done with them here, other than reintroductions. I'm not sure what the point of Herera being brought back was, because it didn't feel like much pay-off either.

Completely agree re: the Predator interactions.
Spoiler
At first I thought copper head was supposed to be a younger being trained, but that seems to flip around towards the end. I just didn't get what the intent was here? To show a divide that was going to be played on later? We didn't even get characters witnessing and speculating on the reasons (did Herera even see and mention the end? I don't think he did.)
[close]

That said, I continue to really love Brian Thies artwork, especially with Wes Dzioba on colours. Probably a 6/10 for me. It wasn't awful, it just feels a bit wasted.

Not sure if this helps the relationship interpretation but I did a little YauTrans on the few spoken interactions we got...

Apologies to those listening at home for the fruity language.

So... still just as ambiguous, but maybe relationship-wise I'd go with siblings or perhaps estranged father and son really failing at their family bonding hunt. Though perhaps not as bad as that Yaut dad and his teenage son Tristan from that College Humor short.

Corporal Hicks

Ah, he actually used the Predator font for that? Is that literally everything from the series?

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

What did you use as a translation key? I didn't see any matches with the digital font.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I compared it to a few translators and it didn't line up either, so we'd love to see the translation key you're using SpaceKase. And we'll done! 👏

HuDaFuK

Those translation keys are another of my Predator pet peeves.

The idea their alphabet would somehow correspond exactly to the Latin one is just dumb in the extreme.

Even staying on Earth, the Chinese alphabet doesn't directly correspond like that because it was developed completely independently.

SiL

I don't think anyone thinks that's what's actually happening, though. It's just a fun, easy way to write dialogue for Predators that's more than just mushing a keyboard.

HuDaFuK

There are definitely people online who take it way too seriously.

Voodoo Magic

Yeah, I never have been bothered by it, personally. It can be fun for the fans to write messages in the way of the Yautja.

Now seeing it translated on film this way is another matter entirely, and honestly something I wouldn't put past Fred & Dekker. But to be fair to those two, I don't recall them even doing this, i.e. the Upgrade Predator wasn't being translated one symbol per English letter.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 18, 2021, 10:36:24 AM
What did you use as a translation key? I didn't see any matches with the digital font.

That's literally all the Yautja chat from Hunters III, just as spare as the rest of story.  The font they use is Blambot's Xeno Tribal BB.  Its most egregious use is all throughout the 3rd chapter of Fire & Stone, the worst chapter in what would (in my opinion) otherwise be a completely awesome epic crossover. But like the interminable Life Day Wookiespeak from the Star Wars holiday special, it's just endless streams of nonsense, making one wonder, why of why did anyone think this was a good idea?

However, it's used to Very good and hilarious effect in the AvP Judge Dredd crossover Slice and Dice. They had a lot of fun with that one and I may put the translation up here somewhere at some point.

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 18, 2021, 11:45:33 AM
Yeah, I compared it to a few translators and it didn't line up either, so we'd love to see the translation key you're using SpaceKase. And we'll done! 👏

Thanks man! Here's a quick ref that I like to use,
It's a transparent png so you may want to save it so you can zoom in. What I *really* want to find is the font for that language of the four-armed alien barbarian dudes from Kaus Borealis in F&S. But no dice yet.

Voodoo Magic

Awesome! You da man SpaceKase! Thanks!

SpaceKase

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 18, 2021, 04:39:26 PM
Awesome! You da man SpaceKase! Thanks!

Thanks, dude! You guys are awesome too, the pod cast was great even if it was the sad swan song to the Dark Horse era. Man, I am still in mourning over that, and not just a little cringey about what may be coming down the pipe from Marvel. I guess we'll find out for sure in less than a week here... Cautious Optimism.

RidgeTop

RidgeTop

Thanks for sharing that! Never seen it before. It is interesting seeing the Predator glyph writing rather than the digital language. And much appreciated for the podcast feedback.

SpaceKase

SpaceKase

Quote from: RidgeTop on Mar 18, 2021, 09:50:24 PM
Thanks for sharing that! Never seen it before. It is interesting seeing the Predator glyph writing rather than the digital language. And much appreciated for the podcast feedback.

Always man, I love listening to you guys geek out. I hope to participate sometime, especially if it's a comic or novel related video or audio round table or something. I just saw the cover art variants for Marvel's new Predator series and they look really gorgeous, my cautious optimism is growing less cautious by the day.

Also, check out Slice and Dice again, if you get the chance. Well worth it. Comedy gold.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed