Alien 5 Will Be Delayed By Avatar Sequels and The Gone World

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 14, 2016, 05:57:07 AM

Author
Alien 5 Will Be Delayed By Avatar Sequels and The Gone World (Read 37,334 times)

BishopShouldGo

Because every major franchise has a linear path. You can't get a film greenlit unless it's linear. It's in the updated Hollywood manual under one of the early sections.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 05:07:13 AM
Because every major franchise has a linear path.

I could name a few which don't. This answer... doesn't answer my question.

So I'm hoping someone like Alien Predator or PRJ_1990 answers for me.

BishopShouldGo

The respective studios of Halloween and Godzilla have confirmed that the canons are linear, despite the convoluted film plots.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 05:25:08 AM
The respective studios of Halloween and Godzilla have confirmed that the canons are linear, despite the convoluted film plots.

Actually, I wasn't even going to bring those up but as for Halloween and Godzilla's continuity... well, that's not entirely true. Both film series do have multiple continuities and fans can pick and choose which ones they want. They're all equally true.

I've become disillusioned about canon, and in my opinion, a singular line is actually a limiting thing. I think divergences are what make things interesting and fans would be able to choose which storyline they want to follow and not be invalidated. I mean I'm just looking at the statements which Weaver and Blomkamp have been saying since December of 2014 and so far, it seems like we're getting a divergent thing.

If both of Ripley's endings are true, and fans can pick which ending they want, what's the bad in that?

SiL

For a horror franchise it means nothing matters. Death is the main driving force in these films -- things trying to kill you, while you try not to die. That's completely irrelevant if you're just going to drag people back to life like literally nothing happened.

Also makes us much more susceptible to getting shit films. This one sucks? don't worry, we'll just ignore it in six months. That one sucks too? Man, it's almost like we know we don't actually need to try. With enough marketing we'll still make a profit by the time people realised they've been had.

RakaiThwei

I understand your point, I really do but... I could also ask, isn't that generally Hollywood overall?

BishopShouldGo

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 16, 2016, 05:37:44 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 05:25:08 AM

Actually, I wasn't even going to bring those up but as for Halloween and Godzilla's continuity... well, that's not entirely true. Both film series do have multiple continuities and fans can pick and choose which ones they want. They're all equally true.

I've become disillusioned about canon, and in my opinion, a singular line is actually a limiting thing. I think divergences are what make things interesting and fans would be able to choose which storyline they want to follow and not be invalidated. I mean I'm just looking at the statements which Weaver and Blomkamp have been saying since December of 2014 and so far, it seems like we're getting a divergent thing.

If both of Ripley's endings are true, and fans can pick which ending they want, what's the bad in that?

Because it's in the rule book. "No non-linear narratives of any nature."

RakaiThwei

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 05:53:35 AM
Because it's in the rule book.

What rule book? Do you have a link to something which details this definitive rule book?

BishopShouldGo

I'll try to find it.

RakaiThwei

Yeah, I'll be waiting for proof of such a rule book.

In the meantime, thank you SiL, for providing me with your answer. I understand that fans want things and events in these films to count but this is my personal opinion, and solely mine... I just feel like as if having choices aren't a bad thing. Again, just my opinion because well... this is fiction, and Fox is going to do what they like with the franchise. Sure, not a lot of people are going to agree with their decisions but.. it's the nature of the beast, I suppose.

Not everyone's going to be pleased but as it stands... it's going to be a wait and see. So far, if this movie is going to keep on being delayed, worse case scenario? The movie is scrapped.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SiL on Jul 16, 2016, 05:46:45 AMFor a horror franchise it means nothing matters. Death is the main driving force in these films -- things trying to kill you, while you try not to die. That's completely irrelevant if you're just going to drag people back to life like literally nothing happened.

Yeah, this. One of the reasons I hate so many comics and superhero movies is because they just keep bringing people back to life, thereby making the consequences of death utterly irrelevant.

I loved X-Men: The Last Stand because (much like Alien 3) it had the balls to off major characters and prove there are real consequences involved. It gave the story added weight. But then they just went and resurrected everybody in the sequels. It's just lame.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 15, 2016, 09:47:08 PM
I doubt it. If they are so sure then they should at least be able to provide proof. And why would Blomkamp film it under a cloak of secrecy anyway?

Yeah, I don't see why they'd do it secretly. The project seems to have done really well feeding off the public support (possibly even being the reason it was greenlit) so that seems odd to me.

The Alien Predator

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Jul 16, 2016, 05:11:29 AM
Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Jul 16, 2016, 05:07:13 AM
Because every major franchise has a linear path.

I could name a few which don't. This answer... doesn't answer my question.

So I'm hoping someone like Alien Predator or PRJ_1990 answers for me.

SiL has summed up some great points.

I think diverging timelines works a bit better in the EU, and technically it's sort of there. I mentioned to you once that the Hish books are basically their own things and unrelated to the Alien vs Predator universe because the backstory is so different. Humans reverse engineer alien tech and they have also made Earth almost inhospitable. And this is 2107 I think?

Meanwhile Aliens as of 2179 shows Earth as perfectly fine, plus some novels were set on Earth past 2107 and humans lived on it just fine. And the new novels mention no reverse engineering, in fact we don't meet our first aliens (Arcturians) until at least the 2160's.

Those are just a few examples of why I think multiple continuities are a bit easier to accept in an expanded universe. And frankly, even those don't really bring back dead characters, the majority of them (especially the new stuff now) try to fit into established lore. They went so far as to change Newt and Hicks after Alien 3 and Resurrection came out so as to keep the stories relevant to the film universe.

The whole point with a singular timeline, Rakai, is to tell a story. Additional stories literally expand the universe as a whole. You may think it is limiting, but I respectfully disagree because just one universe is limitless. And most of the stories are set in the 22nd and 23rd centuries, so they have virtually the entire 3rd Millennium to cover. Not to mention our history too with all the Predator encounters which could go as far back as even prehistory.

it's as versatile as Assassin's Creed, you can take this franchise to any era of time without having to diverge timelines or make things irrelevant. The other point of Alien is it's a dark and gritty universe where literally no one is safe.

She's the main character? Be worried, she could die just as any other character did so far! Might not happen in this movie... might be the next one!

As opposed to what SiL said, "don't worry, she'll be back."

Also many fans hate the idea of making AvP like Star Trek. This is something I've seen people (even you occasionally) use, where they would say "it's too much like Star Trek", "this peace conference between Predators and humans is too Trekky", "this translator, it makes AvP more like Trek..."

Well, Alien and Predator lack something Star Trek has in spades = official and in-universe diverging timelines.

I think this should be left out of the movies. Let the films have a proper timeline, a proper history for us to enjoy and catalogue. The EU isn't as "in your face" about diverging from something established in a prior story. And those that diverged too much weren't as well received. Who actually remembers... no, who KNOWS of the Hish besides hardcore fans? Yet even the most casual people know "Yautja". Heck, I got the Alien vs Pinball game, and noticed "YAU - TJA" written on the pinball table in the AvP map.

That's because the stories with the Yautja are much more beloved and known about due to the fact they had a respect for established lore and fit in quite well.

It's not like the new ST films where out of nowhere, an Engineer ship just comes back from the 41st millennium and f**ks up the whole current flow of time.  :laugh:

Also, look at the reaction people have to "The Predator" and compare it to the reactions of "Alien 5". It seems obvious that the majority want a singular timeline. Black says he will continue this as a sequel because there's so much to explore in what's established. Whereas Bomkamp just wants to give his version of a "true" ending to his favourite character.

It's acceptable for Godzilla, Star Trek, TMNT and Terminator because those have in-universe time travel, in-universe paradoxes, in-universe official diverging timelines. I'm not a fan of the concept, but I can accept it in those franchises (and I like those listed as well, I grew up with Terminator and Godzilla).

But Alien and Predator are grounded, pseudo-realistic settings like Assassin's Creed. We have yet to find a diverging timeline in real life lol. Not every story needs one because frankly, just "one" is enough. Just one can make this franchise bigger than two or three.

So, that's my essay on why I think one timeline is enough.  :)

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jul 16, 2016, 01:18:30 PM
Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 15, 2016, 09:47:08 PM
I doubt it. If they are so sure then they should at least be able to provide proof. And why would Blomkamp film it under a cloak of secrecy anyway?

Yeah, I don't see why they'd do it secretly. The project seems to have done really well feeding off the public support (possibly even being the reason it was greenlit) so that seems odd to me.

Exactly. It could be that their source confused Blomkamp's next film, The Gone World for Alien 5. Gone World will probably be going into production soon and it also happens to be a Fox property as well. And who are we going to believe, some unnamed, shady insider passing along information to a couple of fans or Sigourney Weaver's (who I suspect will executive produce) public statements.

I remember while they were busy filming Chappie, one newspaper erroneously reported that Chappie was just a cover name and that Blomkamp was actually filming a District 9 sequel since it was being filmed in the same place that D9 was. Of course we never got that D9 sequel, did we?

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Jul 16, 2016, 02:50:20 PM
And who are we going to believe, some unnamed, shady insider passing along information to a couple of fans or Sigourney Weaver's (who I suspect will executive produce) public statements.

The fact that it had been comments coming from Weaver (and straight-forward ones) was what took me back a little at the instance it was wrong. We all know what it's like having those sources you can't divulge though. We'll find out eventually though.

I might not be a fan of the concept but I wouldn't mind it if they were filming secretly.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed