Eating Aliens, WTF?!?

Started by vehtam, Nov 28, 2007, 08:58:43 PM

Author
Eating Aliens, WTF?!? (Read 60,439 times)

Otnip

Otnip

Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 28, 2007, 10:10:25 PM
Quote from: AdamJZ on Nov 28, 2007, 09:48:50 PM
I dont know, maybe they eat for pleasure or strength or something, like they dont need to but they can when they get the chance.  the Alien clearly eats people in Alien 3.  not to mention ripley says "It wont kill me, I stood right next to it, I could have been lunch."

she didn't mean that literally, she means you would have been killed. (either that or her character didn't know that they don't actually eat people)

Or maybe, who knows, its literal? That indefinitely wasn't a time for her to joke around when she had a queen in her stomach. She was serious, don't bend a character's words just because you can't get your head around a concept that isn't far fetched in the least.

Demonio Cazador

Demonio Cazador

Ok so by this only Pred1 and Alien are canon... ::)

Johnny Handsome

Johnny Handsome

I think its good that they show aliens eat. We already had that with the predator in predator 2, they are alien too, but they have to feed, its natural.
Looking forward to those shots.

KidPresentable

KidPresentable

Quote from: Otnip on Nov 28, 2007, 10:08:03 PM

Although Greg shouldn't have tried to justify the whole darker colored facehugger by saying it was "a warrior facehugger". Thats a bunch a crap.

He didn't. It was just a little something he tossed out there. To speculate about. Not a 100% concrete reason.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I don't think it's bullcrap at all. It only messes with fans who think the Alien is so alien that it eats metals.

I would rather this wasn't addressed in a mindless versus film, but whatever.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

What wrong if the aliens eat something?

That Yellow Alien

That Yellow Alien

I'd rather it remain a mystery. In A3, we saw the Alien to be doing what looked like "eating", but it was never shown. Who knows what it was doing? So much for the mystery.

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: Ratchetcomand on Nov 28, 2007, 10:18:04 PM
What wrong if the aliens eat something?

well the past films show that they didn't and didn't need to. No evidence of food storage being raided in the colony complex in Aliens, nor were any chestbursted bodies eaten after death. (Notice Alien:Resurrection and Aliens)

Headbites do not equal=eating flesh. According to the anchorpoint essays they don't eat people, but have function like a biological battery of sorts, due to the chemicals that make up their blood..etc.

The Chibi Kiriyama

The Chibi Kiriyama

I can see why people are getting riled up. It's yet another element that makes it into your typical mindless movie monster. But at this point, is it really the "eating people" part that's doing that or everything else they've done to ruin the original design? I would think it's the latter. This is just another thing, not the death kneel.

vehtam

vehtam

Quote from: Johnny Handsome on Nov 28, 2007, 10:13:38 PM
I always thought that alien would eat, they are not machines, alien or not, its natural.
No problem here.

so we can safely assume, that because of bad vision conditions predators weren't able to achieve this stage of technology by themselves and all was stolen from some other race. and you will be ok with this, right Johhny? ;)

vehtam

vehtam

Quote from: Robotpo on Nov 28, 2007, 10:12:45 PM
Seeing the aliens eat takes away from their, well, "Alien-ness." It makes them anthropomorphic and relatable to animals on Earth, and helps demystify their aurora of being "truly unknown" from the original movies. One of the things that makes the aliens unique IMO is that they don't kill for food, but because they're programmed to as a species, making them different and somewhat more complex than the average movie monster.

very well said, i couldn't agree more

KidPresentable

KidPresentable

Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 28, 2007, 10:21:29 PM

Headbites do not equal=eating flesh. According to the anchorpoint essays they don't eat people, but have function like a biological battery of sorts, due to the chemicals that make up their blood..etc.

So some random dude on the internet making stuff up about the aliens is ok, but we have to bash directors who do?

Hmm...

Otnip

Otnip

Good point.

Also, if you guys don't think aliens eat and that they are not bugs (I believe this too), why would the alien insist on ripping apart a human if theres other humans around? Wouldn't it just kill them and move on to the next prey?

Ballzanya

Ballzanya

Quote from: KidPresentable on Nov 28, 2007, 10:26:51 PM
Quote from: Ballzanya on Nov 28, 2007, 10:21:29 PM

So some random dude on the internet making stuff up about the aliens is ok, but we have to bash directors who do?

Hmm...

well at least the guy who made the anchorpoint essay site, makes sense in terms of the reasoning he comes up with for things, even if its also not established to be canon due to not being confirmed in a film.

its funny how the strause's keep defending other bullshit by saying "the aliens aren't simple bugs" but then want to reduce them to such in other instances. The aliens are alien and we don't know that they have to breathe the same way we do either, as they can exist in a vacuum, and they don't require oxygen. If they can do that and live, who says they need to consume meat in order to sustain themselves.
It seems their inner jaw and how its connected to their mouth on the inside would limit the size/amount of flesh that could be consumed at any given time and thus is not very efficient for that, so its a defense/offensive killing trait it evolved as opposed to an aid in mastication. (no not masturbation.)

In the event of the space jockey's creating the aliens, they surely could be biomechanical and not have to eat things. They would be part biological part machine in some sense. Organic, replicating semi-machinery in some regards.

Tun

Tun

Quotewell the past films show that they didn't and didn't need to. No evidence of food storage being raided in the colony complex in Aliens, nor were any chestbursted bodies eaten after death. (Notice Alien:Resurrection and Aliens)
I agree when people say they shouldn't have to eat. My personal preference.
But Alien 3 at least first brought up the idea, and if you think that it wasn't 'eating' whether for aditional benefits or whatever, then maybe the scenes in this movie will be the same way and people can interpret it however they want.

On a side note, I think it's an inevitability that as more movies are created with aliens and preds in them, the more mysteries about them are solved because every movie does that to some degree. With each movie made, there are less mysteries. Now I don't like that because one, it ruins them sometimes when revealing details, and two sometimes there are parts about them added I don't like. but I guess it's the downside to seeing them on screen again.
And yes, canon is a seperate issue.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed