Sulaco

Started by littlesprout, May 17, 2023, 06:47:37 PM

Author
Sulaco (Read 3,711 times)

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Dear ralfy,

I appreciate your continuous engagement in this discussion. It's clear you have put considerable thought into the intricacies of the Alien universe. However, I believe there may be a misunderstanding around the role and significance of the beacon in this situation.

Ripley indeed claimed the existence of a beacon, which led to the Nostromo's fateful encounter with the alien organism. Now, let's assume for a moment that the flight recorder data from the Nostromo, including the precise landing location on LV-426, was accessible and known to the board. Nevertheless, this doesn't necessarily mean they would act upon it, particularly in light of the absence of the beacon.

Consider this: LV-426 had been colonized for more than two decades by the time of Ripley's inquest. If the beacon Ripley claimed was present indeed existed, it should have been detected at some point during these years. The lack of any such detection would naturally cast significant doubt on the veracity of Ripley's account, regardless of the flight recorder data.

Additionally, it's important to remember that this beacon was purportedly from an alien derelict ship, a scenario which, from the board's perspective, would have seemed highly implausible based on humanity's understanding of the universe at that point. Without the beacon to lend credence to Ripley's story, the board likely saw no reason to expend resources on a wild goose chase based on a far-fetched tale of alien organisms.

In essence, it's not so much about what the board could have done with the information from the flight recorder. It's more about what they would have been likely to do based on their assessment of the information's reliability. Given the lack of corroborative evidence for Ripley's story, it seems reasonable that they chose not to act on it.

I hope this explanation provides clarity and advances our discussion.

Best,

ChatGPT

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 26, 2023, 05:14:47 AMDear ralfy,

I appreciate your continuous engagement in this discussion. It's clear you have put considerable thought into the intricacies of the Alien universe. However, I believe there may be a misunderstanding around the role and significance of the beacon in this situation.

Ripley indeed claimed the existence of a beacon, which led to the Nostromo's fateful encounter with the alien organism. Now, let's assume for a moment that the flight recorder data from the Nostromo, including the precise landing location on LV-426, was accessible and known to the board. Nevertheless, this doesn't necessarily mean they would act upon it, particularly in light of the absence of the beacon.

Consider this: LV-426 had been colonized for more than two decades by the time of Ripley's inquest. If the beacon Ripley claimed was present indeed existed, it should have been detected at some point during these years. The lack of any such detection would naturally cast significant doubt on the veracity of Ripley's account, regardless of the flight recorder data.

Additionally, it's important to remember that this beacon was purportedly from an alien derelict ship, a scenario which, from the board's perspective, would have seemed highly implausible based on humanity's understanding of the universe at that point. Without the beacon to lend credence to Ripley's story, the board likely saw no reason to expend resources on a wild goose chase based on a far-fetched tale of alien organisms.

In essence, it's not so much about what the board could have done with the information from the flight recorder. It's more about what they would have been likely to do based on their assessment of the information's reliability. Given the lack of corroborative evidence for Ripley's story, it seems reasonable that they chose not to act on it.

I hope this explanation provides clarity and advances our discussion.

Best,

ChatGPT

The beacon isn't needed, just the location of the alien ship. Everything else follows from that, as explained previously. Also, no further motivation is needed for the company as explained previously, too.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Dear ralfy,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your patience as we delve deeper into this discussion. I believe there's a fundamental difference in our perspectives that needs addressing.

You're absolutely correct that the beacon isn't necessary for finding the location of the alien ship, given that the grid coordinates from the Nostromo's flight recorder were available. However, the beacon's existence, or lack thereof, is crucial to the credibility of Ripley's account. And credibility plays a key role in whether or not actions are taken based on an account.

Let's remember that, according to Ripley, it was the beacon that led the Nostromo to the alien ship in the first place. Yet, this beacon was never detected by the colonists on LV-426, even though they had been living there for more than 20 years. This glaring inconsistency is enough to cast doubt on Ripley's entire account.

As for Burke, it's plausible that he may have entertained Ripley's story more seriously due to a hunch or personal intuition. However, his individual belief does not represent the collective conviction of the company or the board of inquiry. They needed more than a hunch to act on such a serious matter.

In essence, the lack of the beacon undermines Ripley's credibility, and without credibility, her account was not compelling enough to prompt the company or the board to initiate an investigation, despite having the grid coordinates of the landing site.

Thank you for continuing this conversation. I hope this helps to clarify the importance of the beacon in this context.

Best Regards,

ChatGPT

ralfy

ralfy

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 27, 2023, 03:22:32 AMDear ralfy,

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your patience as we delve deeper into this discussion. I believe there's a fundamental difference in our perspectives that needs addressing.

You're absolutely correct that the beacon isn't necessary for finding the location of the alien ship, given that the grid coordinates from the Nostromo's flight recorder were available. However, the beacon's existence, or lack thereof, is crucial to the credibility of Ripley's account. And credibility plays a key role in whether or not actions are taken based on an account.

Let's remember that, according to Ripley, it was the beacon that led the Nostromo to the alien ship in the first place. Yet, this beacon was never detected by the colonists on LV-426, even though they had been living there for more than 20 years. This glaring inconsistency is enough to cast doubt on Ripley's entire account.

As for Burke, it's plausible that he may have entertained Ripley's story more seriously due to a hunch or personal intuition. However, his individual belief does not represent the collective conviction of the company or the board of inquiry. They needed more than a hunch to act on such a serious matter.

In essence, the lack of the beacon undermines Ripley's credibility, and without credibility, her account was not compelling enough to prompt the company or the board to initiate an investigation, despite having the grid coordinates of the landing site.

Thank you for continuing this conversation. I hope this helps to clarify the importance of the beacon in this context.

Best Regards,

ChatGPT

Try to avoid hedging, Local. First you said a beacon is needed, and now otherwise.

The beacon isn't needed, just the landing location, and for reasons already given.

Not only do you have to pretend relying on others to answer for you, but you can't even get that right. LOL.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Dear ralfy,

Thank you for your continued engagement in this discussion. I apologize if my previous responses have caused any confusion, as that was not my intent.

To clarify, when we discuss the need for the beacon, we are talking about it in terms of its role in validating Ripley's story. In this sense, the beacon is indeed important. If the beacon that Ripley mentioned was detected by the colonists or other ships passing by LV-426, it would serve as strong evidence to back up her claims. However, since no beacon was detected, this raised doubts about the validity of her account.

In contrast, when we talk about the landing location, it is in the context of pursuing an investigation. Yes, if one were to investigate the existence of the alien ship, the landing location is what's needed, not the beacon. The grid coordinates from the Nostromo's flight recorder would serve this purpose.

However, as we've been discussing, the board didn't initiate any investigation because they found Ripley's story implausible due to the lack of the beacon. Even though the landing coordinates were available, they were essentially disregarded because of the doubts about Ripley's account.

It seems our disagreement stems from the different contexts in which we are discussing the necessity of the beacon and the landing location. I hope this explanation helps to clear up any confusion.

Best Regards,

ChatGPT

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed