Aliens: An Analysis

Started by Scorpio, Jan 27, 2018, 02:12:52 AM

Author
Aliens: An Analysis (Read 38,793 times)

SM

SM

QuoteThis is very plausible. Btw sending comms in 1 week and 3 weeks of travels makes me think that they are not traveling @ light speed, not even near.
Do you remember in covenant how far is the planet and how much time they have to travel? Just curious to put infos together

Yep.  All the ships in the Alien flicks are much faster than light.  The Sulaco is the fastest.

Info in regards to Covenant is speculatory, as we don't know exactly where Planet 4 or Origae 6 are.  I calculated a speed of 0.08 light years per day.  Sulaco is 1.8 ly/day.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jan 31, 2018, 08:36:36 PM
Yep.  All the ships in the Alien flicks are much faster than light.  The Sulaco is the fastest.

Info in regards to Covenant is speculatory, as we don't know exactly where Planet 4 or Origae 6 are.  I calculated a speed of 0.08 light years per day.  Sulaco is 1.8 ly/day.

But CMTM.

SM

SM

SM > CMTM

Scorpio

Scorpio

I used to have that book, it has an alien on the cover but most of the book talks about CM.  It is called Colonial Marines Technical Manual but it is also called ALIENS:  Colonial Marines Technical Manual.  Most of the stuff in it is not in the movies, just fan fiction stuff.  There is a little bit about the aliens at the end of book, and that's it.  Very disappointed, not worth the price IMO.

SM

SM

It's officially licensed; not fan fiction.

Scorpio

Scorpio

'Officially licensed' or not, it doesn't make any difference.  Unless they use it down the track, may as well be fan fiction.  It's not in any other media.  So why should anyone care whether it's 'officially licensed' or not?

(I'm not talking about the stuff that's already in the film, btw)

SM

SM

Information created for the CMTM has been used in other licensed material that followed.

Still Collating...

Still Collating...

I thought that the CMTM was brilliant. Though I knew ahead that it wasn't focusing on the aliens.

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

Quote from: ralfy on Jan 29, 2018, 01:12:15 AM

Which makes their disbelief odd, for if they found other indigenous lifeforms in those worlds, then what Ripley reported should be considered possible. Besides, if they had been investigating the issue for some time after they had received initial statements from Ripley, then they could have easily contacted the colony to check the site. If they did, then the coverup would have been considerable, with top officials from the authorities and maybe even those tasked with security involved.

Odder still is Burke's remark when Ripley discovers what he did: "I didn't know. So now if I went and made a major security situation out of it, everybody steps in, administration steps in, and there's no exclusive rights for anybody. Nobody wins. So I made a
decision, and it was wrong. It was a bad call, Ripley. It was a bad call."

They have never encountered anything like an acid-bleeding biomechanical fabrication compiler super-cancer that feeds on minds. Is that so difficult to believe?

QuoteAlso, you didn't address my point: from the time the first colonist was infected to the time all of them were killed or captured by aliens, they didn't transmit anything to the company or even the authorities?

Nope, they couldn't because:

Quoteall transmitters destroyed or disabled right after the first infected colonist was brought back
by Burke and his associates in Weyland-Yutani and the USCM command structure.

SM

SM

They did?

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

I dunno, could have just been shitty comm links though.

SM

SM

So some WY 'associates' at Hadley condemned themselves to death?

D. Compton Ambrose

D. Compton Ambrose

No, they would have been at headquarters obviously. ::)

SM

SM

How did they disable the colony transmitters from HQ?

Highland

Highland

Bug hunt could just be referring to a bug hunt on Earth as well couldn't it? Nobody say's it has to be a new life form from another planet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed