Alien Timeline Updated

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 16, 2016, 03:20:12 PM

Author
Alien Timeline Updated (Read 69,459 times)

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 09:45:16 PM
I think Michael Bishop found the derelict post after Ripley's sacrifice.  As for the connection with A:R, yeah, the novelization claims the Derelict was destroyed, but the EU has W-Y acquire Aliens through other means anyways.  Personally, I just take it that the Auriga cloned Ripley probably because it was the easiest way to get their hands on an illegal alien organism.

Doesn't work because Stasis Interrupted clearly shows the Origin facility has been constructed around the derelict well before Ripley's sacrifice at the end of Alien 3. We see the facility is already up and running by the time Hicks makes his escape with the other guy and that can only be set days or weeks at most after Alien 3 ended, and a facility of that size would have taken months to construct let's be honest. And if the EU was canon to the films, then there would have been plenty of easier ways to acquire an Alien then cloning someone who died 200 years ago. Every man and his dog seemingly has access to them in the EU.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 20, 2016, 09:51:47 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 09:45:16 PM
I think Michael Bishop found the derelict post after Ripley's sacrifice.  As for the connection with A:R, yeah, the novelization claims the Derelict was destroyed, but the EU has W-Y acquire Aliens through other means anyways.  Personally, I just take it that the Auriga cloned Ripley probably because it was the easiest way to get their hands on an illegal alien organism.

Doesn't work because Stasis Interrupted clearly shows the Origin facility being constructed around the derelict well before Ripley's sacrifice at the end of Alien 3. And if the EU was canon to the films, then there would have been plenty of easier ways to acquire an Alien then cloning someone who died 200 years ago. Every man and his dog seemingly has access to them in the EU.

Maybe they wanted Ripley's Queen embryo?  It's a mess, yes, but I've had to deal with even worse plot issues than those; have you seen Heroes: Reborn?  And yes, the Aliens are overly prevalent in the EU but as I said earlier I just rationalize that cloning a dead person was the easiest way to get a Queen without being caught by the legitimate government.

TheBATMAN

TheBATMAN

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 09:55:28 PM
Maybe they wanted Ripley's Queen embryo?  It's a mess, yes, but I've had to deal with even worse plot issues than those; have you seen Heroes: Reborn?  And yes, the Aliens are overly prevalent in the EU but as I said earlier I just rationalize that cloning a dead person was the easiest way to get a Queen without being caught by the legitimate government.

Perhaps, but with respect it also seems like desperation to find some way it could possibly fit when all the evidence would suggest otherwise. Fan bias in your own words.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: TheBATMAN on Mar 20, 2016, 09:58:12 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 09:55:28 PM

Perhaps, but with respect it also seems like desperation to find some way it could possibly fit when all the evidence would suggest otherwise. Fan bias in your own words.

Yes, though I prefer the term "producer bias" if it's the developers or directors who are doing it.

The Alien Predator

The Alien Predator

Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 08:02:00 PM
Quote from: 420Buddy on Mar 20, 2016, 07:58:32 PM
You act like not being apart of the regular aliens series is some kind of insult. Like I explained in my post above, its just easier and better for all involved to have 3 separate franchises, no insult to avp.

I suppose you do have a point, it's just a sore topic for me since I was present way back when during the time when canon debates were all the rage and the AVP movies were single-mindedly targeted against all the other movies in the franchise.

I don't know whether this means anything or not, but AVP2010 does acknowledge both the AVP movies and the Alien movies as being part of the same universe by referencing the incident on Acheron (LV-426) and Charles Bishop Weyland.

While on the topic of games, I remember seeing a holographic projection of an Alien while watching the cutscene movie of Aliens: Colonial Marines.

I just thought I'd let you know since you did question how Aliens had no holograms while Prometheus did.

My own explanation was always that Prometheus is the top of the line corporate science vessel while the Nostromo and even the colony are just budget facilities used by blue collar workers. I don't know how much of the Sulaco we see, not much in the film but I'm not sure how much of it we see in the EU or of other Conestoga class ships.

Similar point on the Auriga, we still don't see much of it inside apart from what the main characters encounter. The only one I can think of that is a valid point is the lack of those medical pods, they operated on Ripley by hand whereas Shaw used a medpod to get the Trilobite out of her.

predxeno

predxeno

Yeah, A:CM did a lot to reference Prometheus, it also featured the 3D mapping balls that Fifield used in the movie.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Mar 20, 2016, 09:15:05 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Mar 20, 2016, 05:35:16 AM
The two are separate because the author of the timelines has allowed his personal biases to guide what he thinks the timelines should be rather than what they actually are.

No, he didn't.

Did he make it all fit?

SM

SM

No.

Engineer

Engineer

You may find this useful for the "alien: isolation" section of your timeline:

https://mobile.twitter.com/miketanaka2095

You may already be aware of this. But in case not, this was a fake Twitter account started by CA. It chronicles the event on board Sevastopol through the eyes of one person living aboard the station when the alien showed up. The character is referenced in the game too, I believe through audiologs. The Twitter account also references other characters from the game. I never found him, but I heard this guys body can be found in a hidden room in the game too.

SM

SM

Cheers.

Darrell Curtis actually sent me a spreadsheet with all that info some time ago, and I've yet to find time to have a proper read of it.

Engineer

Engineer

Cool!

I read through it. I thought it was interesting, and a cool way for CA to flesh out a character's (or two's) backstory who'd otherwise just be a throwaway-character in the main campaign.

Did that spreadsheet you got include his "sketches?" The character was a bit of an artist, and he "posted" sketches of the alien once or twice after having seen it.

marrerom

marrerom

Hey SM, any thoughts on Shane Black's statements regarding the placement of Predators in the timeline?

SM

SM

I don't remember what he had to say about it?

marrerom

marrerom

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2016, 10:08:27 PM
I don't remember what he had to say about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P7pOiu1kmZU&feature=youtu.be

"The events of Predators, the Robert Rodriquez one, have not happened yet and Predator 2 has probably happened already. It's present day, it's 2018. It's a re-imagining for 2018 of the Predator but all the events of the other movies are sort of acknowledged."

Engineer

Engineer

Does the timeline still include predator? Or is it alien only?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed