Aliens 30th anniversary Blu-ray and Digital HD edition

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jul 07, 2016, 10:01:13 AM

Author
Aliens 30th anniversary Blu-ray and Digital HD edition (Read 6,931 times)

Nostromo

Hey! I have Aliens on blu-ray but it shows grains, which is normal with some movies. Please let me know if this version still shows it when you get it! :)

Engineer

Quote from: Nostromo on Sep 03, 2016, 03:00:32 PM
Hey! I have Aliens on blu-ray but it shows grains, which is normal with some movies. Please let me know if this version still shows it when you get it! :)
I'll let you know, but to be honest I don't think it'll be any less grainy. It's an artifact of the film stock used, and removing the grain will also remove a lot of the details. I believe James Cameron cleaned up the Blu Rays a lot already, but I don't expect this edition to be any better on that front...

Corporal Hicks

Please let us know what the new feature is like.

Engineer

Once I get my hands on this Blu Ray, give me a day or two to go though it, and I'll tell you about everything! :-)

Engineer

Just out of curiosity, for the 35th anniversary Blu Ray of alien, was there any difference from the anthology version? Different menu screens, different/new features, sharper video/audio quality? Anything at all? Or was that just a re-packaging with some cool physical additions like the illustrated story?

Also, what's the likelihood that next year we'll see a 25th anniversary edition of alien 3 AND/OR a 20th anniversary edition of alien resurrection? Or do you all think that the plans for blomkamp's sequel will make fox veer completely away from supporting the second half of the quadrilogy like this (anniversary edition Blu Rays)? I'm sure there will always be some form of Blu Ray/etc version of alien 3 and resurrection available, but I'm curious if they'll get the same TLC as alien and aliens in the future... Ultimately, I guess time will tell, but I'm really hoping for an anniversary release of alien 3 that has something worthwhile added to it. I loved alien 3!! :-/

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 07, 2016, 01:22:31 AM
Just out of curiosity, for the 35th anniversary Blu Ray of alien, was there any difference from the anthology version? Different menu screens, different/new features, sharper video/audio quality? Anything at all? Or was that just a re-packaging with some cool physical additions like the illustrated story?

I believe it was just a repackage.

QuoteAlso, what's the likelihood that next year we'll see a 25th anniversary edition of alien 3 AND/OR a 20th anniversary edition of alien resurrection? Or do you all think that the plans for blomkamp's sequel will make fox veer completely away from supporting the second half of the quadrilogy like this (anniversary edition Blu Rays)? I'm sure there will always be some form of Blu Ray/etc version of alien 3 and resurrection available, but I'm curious if they'll get the same TLC as alien and aliens in the future... Ultimately, I guess time will tell, but I'm really hoping for an anniversary release of alien 3 that has something worthwhile added to it. I loved alien 3!! :-/

I could see an Alien 3 set being done - it has been somewhat redeemed over the years - but I wouldn't expect any mass interest in Resurrection.

Engineer

Ok in that case, was the alien 35th anniversary worth it to get the illustrated story? That's one of the books I have been meaning to pick up, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If it's a decent copy I may look for this Blu Ray just for the book, otherwise I'll probably seek out one of the re-releases from Titan.

Corporal Hicks

iirc it was only a mini-book, not the full sized one. Though that comic is amazing and should be picked up.

Engineer

Yea I figured it was smaller. Is it missing content to shorten it? Or is it the full story just in smaller panes?

Thanks for the info, btw!

Corporal Hicks

I imagine it's just a smaller copy of the comic. I don't have it so I'm not sure though.

Nostromo

Nostromo

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 07, 2016, 02:59:49 PM
Yea I figured it was smaller. Is it missing content to shorten it? Or is it the full story just in smaller panes?

Thanks for the info, btw!

Hi there, I bought the 30th Anniversary Alien Blu Ray even though I had The Quadrilogy set on DVD, The Alien Anthology Blu-Ray set and the Prometheus to Alien: The Evolution Box Blu-Ray Set (Which is exactly the same as Anthology btw, but with Prometheus included). I confirm that the comic is an exact replica of the latest version of Alien: The illustrated Story, except in a much smaller version. There is nothing missing in the story. There is also 4 cards in the set.

Quote from: Engineer on Sep 07, 2016, 02:26:00 PM
Ok in that case, was the alien 35th anniversary worth it to get the illustrated story? That's one of the books I have been meaning to pick up, but haven't gotten around to it yet. If it's a decent copy I may look for this Blu Ray just for the book, otherwise I'll probably seek out one of the re-releases from Titan.

It depends if you want a larger than normal sized comic book on your shelf, or a much smaller version. I like when everything is the standard sized TPB book size.

Engineer

Thanks for the info guys! In that case, if I can find alien 35th anniversary for cheaper than the illustrated story, I may do that. Otherwise I'm just picking up the illustrated story! :-)

On another note, I just found out i should get my copy of aliens 30th anniversary on the 19th or 20th. So 6 or 7 days after release! That's when you'll hear my opinions on it! :-)

Corporal Hicks

That's a bit of a delay. They normally try to get it delivered for you on release.

Engineer

Engineer

That's what I thought, and I was s little surprised too.

OH! Here's another question! For both alien and aliens anniversary editions...

They both come with a digital HD copy of the movie. Does anyone know if you can redeem the HD copy on the iTunes Store? And if so, which version of the movie is it? iTunes has the theatrical and extended cuts; I'm hoping this digital copy is something I can redeem on iTunes and select the extended cut...

I got the theatrical cuts for all 4 alien movies in iTunes years ago. Then a couple years later they released the extended cuts, and I've been meaning to upgrade to those versions. It'd be nice if I can start doing that now with these anniversary Blu Ray digital copies.

Nevermind... I think I know now what the digital format will be... Ultraviolet.

GQSioux

Arrived today.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed