Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie

Started by 𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯, Dec 04, 2017, 05:54:38 PM

Author
Scott: We are going to make another Alien movie (Read 241,227 times)

Alienon

Alienon

- windebieste

AvP/R didn't create by fans.
A:CM created by thieves and liars.
Alien: Isolation - best example of fan power. Game studio who all his live create a global strategies - suddenly create a best of the best fps-horror.

XenoHunter99

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 07, 2018, 01:37:51 PM
The one single thing Covenant has to contribute - the sole purpose for its existence - can be summed up in four words: 'David made the Alien'. And that contribution undermines the entire franchise.
No, David making the alien does not undermine the series. It confounds the assumptions of some members of the audience. Some of us thought for a long time the Alien was an ancient, unknowable creature, a reaper for the Old Ones. And the Old Ones sent forth ships piloted by these vaguely elephant-like Space Jockeys. And one of their ships crashed on LV426 and sat there for a long time. And we like the idea. It's dark and mysterious, full of mystery and foreboding. It adds to the feel of Alien. Dark Horse ran with it, wrote a lot of stories. Some of them were great, some not so great. Aliens:Apocalypse is probably the best treatise in favor of this view of the Alien as a dark, eternal force from somewhere long ago and far away.

But we know there are problems with this. How long could the beacon run? How long could the dead ship sustain the energy field covering the eggs? What does that field do? How long can a facehugger live inside an egg? How did WY miss the beacon until the Nostromo mission? If WY knew the ship was there, why send a commercial towing vehicle with an expensive payload instead of a scout ship with a professional crew? Questions, questions. We can debate endlessly why, but the the derelict may not have been on LV426 for as long as we thought. And the Company had a pretty good idea what the Nostromo crew would find on that rock. How did the Company know?

If David made the Alien, the company probably knew because David told them. And David made the creature using black goo, fire of the gods, if you will. He did not make the creature whole-cloth from nothing. He had a lot of help from the Engineer ship. He had to conduct a lot of experiments to get the desired result, but the underlying tech is still of alien origin.

This does not undermine the franchise. And the problem is not the underlying idea, either. It's the execution of the idea in the movies. These prequel movies look good; but the storytelling, pacing, and character interaction are all lacking. As I have said many times, these films could have been great; but they're not. It will be best if the dead franchise lies sleeping until someone finally figures out how to handle it.

Ingwar

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 07, 2018, 01:37:51 PM
I'm not sure why you'd refer to what Scott's doing now as "fresh, challenging and subversive" Covenant was such a painfully obvious rehash of Alien, they even rehashed the opening title and score, just for those who still couldn't take the hint. There's nothing challenging about it either. The film consists out of tons of dialogues about creation, but the creator/creation dynamic is never explored in the events that occur in film. If by 'challenging' you were referring to the effort of sitting through pretentious drivel that leads to nothing but literature trivia, then sure, what Scott is doing can be considered as challenging. The one single thing Covenant has to contribute - the sole purpose for its existence - can be summed up in four words: 'David made the Alien'. And that contribution undermines the entire franchise.

Yep.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

I dont understand why it should be so definitive. David did not created the Aliens, he just repeated similar "conditions" (using the black goo) that lead to a creation of similar, yet still different Alien(s). Engineers created it a long ago first, they are their only original makers, + somehow they created or find the whole patogen that is responsible for everything in the first place, so. . David could repeat and copy the process yes, but just only because he is artifical, in Covenant we basically see the same effects that Engineers could do, I mean with the whole black goo stuff etc. And that could lead us to an Idea of why the Engineers from Prometheus were so different. They wear the helmets, they were genetically modified judging by look on their exo. body. Warriors, guardians, scientists. . some sort of different fraction, perhaps with different technology.

Richman678

Disney will make tons of rated R movies. They can just release them under the 20th century fox logo.

Petr Švancara

Petr Švancara

David created the Aliens? In other words - You can be happy and even proud when you do something, but that doesnt mean you are the first one who that ever do it. And thats mi point of view. Deal with it.

tleilaxu

Quote from: windebieste on Jan 07, 2018, 12:35:41 PM
Quote from: Alienon on Jan 07, 2018, 10:47:51 AM
I want what Ridley filmed Alien:Awakening and then - go away from franchise. Just leave Alien for Blomkamp and other alien lovers.

I dunno... Every time we get these 'fan' directors and developers making big promises we end up with things like 'AvP', 'AvP-R' and 'A:CM'.

I'd rather see movies made by reputable movie makers rather than see it handed over to fanbois with so called 'vision' that embraces nothing but re-hashing the same old content, ad nauseum.   

What Scott is doing isn't perfect, but it's fresh, challenging and subversive. 

-Windebieste.
I agree. Sci-fi cinema is in a pretty dire situation nowadays (maybe it has always been?), there's absolutely nothing interesting coming out. Even Blade Runner 2049, a movie with so much potential, ended up being the same old Hollywood "muh oppressed slave" garbage. Prometheus and Covenant have plenty of flaws, even conceptually (ancient aliens is a theme that should objectively fail, but Scott manages to miraculously make it not suck), but these movies give you the feels, they stir something within you, these mixtures of beauty and malignancy.

Paranoid Android

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 07, 2018, 03:24:16 PM
No, David making the alien does not undermine the series. It confounds the assumptions of some members of the audience.
Those members of the audience, I'm afraid, never understood the point of the franchise. The alien's origin was never supposed to be known; It was always supposed to remain unknown; It was supposed to be A L I E N. The title worked on multiple levels.

Moreover, by making the alien a creation of David, it becomes a creation of man. Thus, the alien in the Alien franchise is no longer an alien, even in the space alien sense of the word. I can't think of anything that more severely undermined its own film franchise than this. I mean, the film's title is now wrong!

But we know there are problems with this. How long could the beacon run? How long could the dead ship sustain the energy field covering the eggs? What does that field do? How long can a facehugger live inside an egg? How did WY miss the beacon until the Nostromo mission? If WY knew the ship was there, why send a commercial towing vehicle with an expensive payload instead of a scout ship with a professional crew? Questions, questions. We can debate endlessly why, but the the derelict may not have been on LV426 for as long as we thought. And the Company had a pretty good idea what the Nostromo crew would find on that rock. How did the Company know?
None of these are problems. None of these ever required answering, as they have nothing to do with the story itself. This is all pointless filler. It's fun to debate these questions as fans, but that's all it should've ever been - fan theories. The answer to "how long could the beacon run" contributes absolutely nothing to a story about an encounter with a deadly alien organism.

Mr. Xenomorph

I can see them continuing the franchise this way: first, we're definitely getting a new movie. Like Sir Ridley points out, Disney will want to recoup their losses. A long-standing franchise, properly utilized, can be extremely profitable. Especially with safeguarding it with a tighter budget. I think they'll wait a few years before announcing the next one, because that's what Hollywood does. They wait four to five years when it's a mixed reception. Sir Ridley is hardly sitting around twiddling his thumbs over Alien, so he's moving on to his other irons in the fire until everyone gets on the same page.

If the next one is a decent hit, they'll keep making them. If not, I could see them doing something online like an anthology series with various directors and different takes (IIRC Fox was doing that anyway with film students). Alien is franchise royalty like Friday the 13th or A Nightmare on Elm Street, and, they're still trying to get those back into production even after beating us over the head with them for decades. Alien will be fine.

Alionic

Quote from: Paranoid Android on Jan 07, 2018, 04:41:08 PM
Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Jan 07, 2018, 03:24:16 PM
No, David making the alien does not undermine the series. It confounds the assumptions of some members of the audience.
Those members of the audience, I'm afraid, never understood the point of the franchise. The alien's origin was never supposed to be known; It was always supposed to remain unknown; It was supposed to be A L I E N. The title worked on multiple levels.

The filmmakers of the original always thought of the eggs and Aliens (cargo) as a form of bioweapon used by the Engineers on that derelict IRCC.

Huggs

If the studio does decide to wait some years before another film. I hope it's not Covenant 2 that gets the go-ahead. Having people wait that long only to get a financial/divisive reception film like covenant would be a waste, but, it's exciting to think Ridley may take a longer break from the prequels. He makes wonderfully entertaining non-alien films.

However, Covenant 2 (or whatever it will be called) will be the last shot. I hope we receive something that appeals to everyone, and not some portion of the fanbase. Anymore unremarkable suprises (david created the aliens, the space jockey is a space philistine) and my eyes are gonna roll straight out of my head. I still don't see how the jockey can be an engineer. The size difference alone. Perhaps Ridley will have the jockey be some engineer that is infected with the black goo while in the chair. Maybe some kind of mutation that explains the size. He becomes some biomechanical fusion mess.

Regardless of what happens, when Covenant 2 is made, I hope Mr. Scott makes a classic out of it. The prequels have been a mess but he still has it in him to make another wonderful film in this franchise, if he backs off the helm slightly. Maybe things will change with Disney in charge. I'm wishing them luck, and hoping for good things.

Alionic

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 07, 2018, 06:31:50 PM
However, Covenant 2 (or whatever it will be called) will be the last shot. I hope we receive something that appeals to everyone, and not some portion of the fanbase. Anymore unremarkable suprises (david created the aliens, the space jockey is a space philistine) and my eyes are gonna roll straight out of my head. I still don't see how the jockey can be an engineer. The size difference alone. Perhaps Ridley will have the jockey be some engineer that is infected with the black goo while in the chair. Maybe some kind of mutation that explains the size. He becomes some biomechanical fusion mess.

It was probably just a bigger pilot suit. Problem solved.

Huggs

And by "last shot" I mean for the prequels. I know the franchise isn't finished after Covenant 2.

Alionic

Quote from: Huggs on Jan 07, 2018, 06:40:36 PM
And by "last shot" I mean for the prequels. I know the franchise isn't finished after Covenant 2.

Yeah, I want the next prequel to be the final one before pressure from loud Blomkamp fans make the studio force Scott to completely compromise his artistic vision. You could already see this in Covenant. He should probably just explain this to Disney as well: "let me finish the this last prequel with more creative freedom, and then you guys can go hog wild with ALIENS and AVP style blockbuster formulas for the rest of time."

Huggs

Interesting thought on the larger flight suit. Obviously there are different sizes of engineers. If it was just for a bigger dude, then he was a big fella alright. The alien that came out of him would be a sight to behold. I hope we see her one day.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed