Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel)

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 16, 2015, 06:20:23 PM

Author
Aliens 30th Anniversary: The Original Comics Series (Original Dark Horse sequel) (Read 39,671 times)

Perfect-Organism

Each of these books has to be sort of appreciated on its own merits, and within its own microcosm that it creates.  The art of book one rather reflects the moody tone of Book One very well.  The writing and the art are a match.  Certainly the industrial design of the objects in the book can drive you batty if you analyze them too much.  But overall, there was a consistency to the series that was very strong.

Book Two was orchestrated like clock-work to reflect the high level of action in that series.  Den Beauvais' art was very realistic with exquisite attention paid to product design details.  Everything here was consistent with the look of the Aliens film right down to the lighting.  I don't know if anyone noticed this, but the behaviour of light off of objects in that book is extremely realistic.  Beauvais spent time analyzing the direction of light casting and ensuring that its behaviour was spot on.  Who does that?  Again, the art matched the story.

And now we get to Aliens: Earth War.  Dark Horse really jumped the shark with this book.  If it were to be appreciated on its own terms and merits without any pre-existing Aliens material out there, who knows?   It might be ok.  I mean the writing went off on the strangest tangent.  The Alien Queen Mother calling her Alien children back to her from across the universe?  Are you kidding me?  It became nonsensical and the art reflected this whimsy.  So when you look at the Earth War series as a whole it is internally consistent.

However, when you take in the trilogy as a whole, you see that Earth War was completely out of character with the rest of the series and basically tanked what was a stellar performance up to that point by Mark Verheiden.  Earth War, the third act in the Verheiden series was as far off the mark in terms of a proper continuation to the 2 previous books, as Alien 3 was in relation to the first 2 films.

I certainly hope we don't see Sam Kieth drawing Aliens comics anymore.  He is a brilliant artist and there are a lot of his works out there that people love but as an Aliens artist he just does not match.  He just doesn't understand that Aliens fans love the hardware of the Aliens universe as much as the characters and monsters, and he is not capable of drawing the hardward properly because he does not have that product design sensibility.

On the flip-side, it would be great to have Mark A. Nelson, the seminal Aliens artist (not counting Walt Simonson) and the brilliant Den Beauvais return for a couple more runs.  They were some of the fan favorites.  I just don't get why Dark Horse doesn't get those guys working on some series again...

Whiskeybrewer

I would love the sequences between the Power Loaders and the Preatorian Guard in Earth War, done in the Art Style of Book Two. It would look spectacular to me

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 20, 2015, 07:19:33 PM
I would love the sequences between the Power Loaders and the Preatorian Guard in Earth War, done in the Art Style of Book Two. It would look spectacular to me

That could actually work and it would be very Blomkamp.  I just hope that wouldn't be the finale as it would be a bit trite.

Whiskeybrewer

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Nov 20, 2015, 07:38:20 PM
Quote from: Whiskeybrewer on Nov 20, 2015, 07:19:33 PM

That could actually work and it would be very Blomkamp.  I just hope that wouldn't be the finale as it would be a bit trite.

I'd have it at the halfway point myself, especially considering how mercilessly and quickly some characters are killed. The one guy smacking the one guard on the head with the arm, trying to kill it as the metal on the other arm starts to crack and break would be a great moment if it was done on film. The art style of two would just add so much to it.

Number13

I love these books, before they become Billie and Wilks. I already have the original copies. Trying to decide to buy this so I don't have to worry about my delicate copies. God I love these stories. I prefer these books over something I prefer not to mention.

T Dog

I read the novel versions of these but was always tempted to get the comics.

Im wondering if they'll reprint the originals in their proper formats.
The omnibus volume 1 is much cheaper and has everything in it so that's quite tempting right now.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 08, 2016, 04:36:14 PM

The omnibus volume 1 is much cheaper and has everything in it so that's quite tempting right now.

They're releasing a 30th anniversary version of Aliens Book One shortly, with the original Hicks and Newt story.   :)

T Dog

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Apr 08, 2016, 04:39:38 PM
Quote from: tmjhur on Apr 08, 2016, 04:36:14 PM

They're releasing a 30th anniversary version of Aliens Book One shortly, with the original Hicks and Newt story.   :)
I know thanks, what I was saying was will they will re-release the other 2 books in that trilogy?
I could get all 3 in Aliens Omnibus vol.1 for significantly cheaper than paying the Book One reissue!

426Buddy

Unfortunately with the omnibus's you miss out on a lot of the art that was made for the series. Which, for me at least, is a big part of why I like the comics. There is some amazing cover work in these series, as far as I know only the library editions include them (unless you collect each issue)

T Dog

Quote from: 420Buddy on Apr 08, 2016, 05:48:50 PM
Unfortunately with the omnibus's you miss out on a lot of the art that was made for the series. Which, for me at least, is a big part of why I like the comics. There is some amazing cover work in these series, as far as I know only the library editions include them (unless you collect each issue)
You just miss out on cover art specifically or is there other things? What else?

426Buddy

I don't personally own any of the omnibus's so i'm not sure exactly, I have heard the page size is also smaller.

Perfect-Organism

Missing the cover art and sometimes the inside cover art (for example, none of Mark A. Nelson's inside cover art was included) is a H U G E loss.  Having the covers completely removed is also to the detriment of the omnibus compilations, but on a separate level.  It's bad enough that you don't get the art, but you also lose the sensation that there are "chapters" to some of these stories.  There should naturally be some cliff-hangers in the comics, and when they're compiled willy-nilly into omnibuses, you lose that sensation.  (Omnibi?)

426Buddy

426Buddy

Yeah there is a lot of cover art from Book1 that is so awesome its such a shame its not included in a lot of the collected editions.

Perfect-Organism

I've often pondered about why DH does that.  I suspect it is so that we order future printings that include the extras?  Whatever.  It's a bit of a disservice to the fans.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed