Do you find the Facehuggers to be scary?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 05, 2020, 05:46:10 AM

Author
Do you find the Facehuggers to be scary? (Read 14,395 times)

Kradan

Quote from: Tichinde on Sep 04, 2020, 10:48:35 PM
I mean, knowing what we know about them, couldn't you just cover your mouth or keep it closed and not be impregnated?

Just a thought, there is also just ya know putting your hands over your orifices and waiting until the thing dies  :P

Well, it can always suffocate you enough to force your mouth open. The tail isn't for nothing

AliceApocalypse

Face raping spiders the size of cats, oh no thank you.  That's creepy scary.

SM

Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 05, 2020, 02:18:17 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2020, 10:19:59 PM
Of course he intended it to be scary.

No, he didn't. He says as much on the commentary he did for the special edition.

From about 7 minutes onwards.  Winston and Cameron.

There's monsters stalking and killing people and jumping on their faces and bursting out their chests - but no, it's not meant to be scary.  Just because Cameron didn't try to make it as scary as Alien - doesn't mean he didn't try to make it scary.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 05, 2020, 02:20:13 AM
Uh oh SM.  This guy just flopped his willy off the side of the bridge and told you the water was deep.

YOUR MOVE.

The bridge I'm standing on the is on Jimbob Cameron's ship over the Marianas trench and I'm telling you it's deep.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 26, 2014, 06:11:40 AM
Oh snap.  He just done gone got SM'inated!

kwisatz

What's not to like about a good Schwanzvergleich?

Local Trouble

The taste test?

kwisatz

saltypistol

They haven't been scary since Aliens imo. Alien 3 onwards they are either just used as a plot device or misused in flashy action scenes (looking at you AVP)

SM

In what way are they plot devices from Alien 3 onwards?

Kradan

Well, I guess, one nasty facehugger started the plot of Alien 3 with its own blood

SiL

So did the original facehugger.

The only film I would argue they aren't effectively "plot devices" is Aliens, if we consider them plot devices after.

YouHaveMySympahties

Quote from: SM on Sep 08, 2020, 10:50:41 PM
Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 05, 2020, 02:18:17 AM
Quote from: SM on Sep 04, 2020, 10:19:59 PM
Of course he intended it to be scary.

No, he didn't. He says as much on the commentary he did for the special edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ekTN0ZF7gvE

From about 7 minutes onwards.  Winston and Cameron.

There's monsters stalking and killing people and jumping on their faces and bursting out their chests - but no, it's not meant to be scary.  Just because Cameron didn't try to make it as scary as Alien - doesn't mean he didn't try to make it scary.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 05, 2020, 02:20:13 AM
Uh oh SM.  This guy just flopped his willy off the side of the bridge and told you the water was deep.

YOUR MOVE.

The bridge I'm standing on the is on Jimbob Cameron's ship over the Marianas trench and I'm telling you it's deep.

Okay, and Cameron on the commentary says differently. So we've both got contradicting statements from the same source. Thus we're at an impasse, you sarcastic f**k.

Corporal Hicks

Come-on folk, no need to get on at each other.

SM

Cameron - ...that was our intention going in, to do a film that was not as scary... it's scary, but it's not as scary, but more intense...

Full interview

What does he say on the commentary then?

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2020, 11:44:49 AM
Cameron - ...that was our intention going in, to do a film that was not as scary... it's scary, but it's not as scary, but more intense...

Full interview

What does he say on the commentary then?

Full Question and Quote:

• LOFFICIER: Ridley Scott's Alien was an incredibly scary movie. Aliens on the other hand, isn't actually scary, but it grabs hold of you about fifteen minutes in, and never lets go. It's more suspenseful, like a roller coaster ride...

JAMES CAMERON: You captured exactly the distinction between the two films that we set out to do. In other words, that was our intention going in, to do a film that was not as scary... it's scary, but it's not as scary, but more intense, and I like to use the word, exhilarating. Because I think you get exhilarated by the intensity of the kind of action that's in this film. At least, when it's presented in a good theatre, with a good sound system and so on.

YouHaveMySympahties quote:

Quote from: YouHaveMySympahties on Sep 04, 2020, 12:12:18 PM
Literally the only scary part of Aliens (and that's not a slam, as Cameron never intended it to be a scary movie) is when that Facehugger jumps towards the camera in Ripley's POV. That part made me flinch back in alarm, last time I watched the movie.

I don't think we have a problem here...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed