Just re-watched AvP 2004.....

Started by Scott Conover, Sep 29, 2018, 05:01:22 PM

Author
Just re-watched AvP 2004..... (Read 33,269 times)

SM

SM

They can hear a human screams and gunshots when they're in the mess hall.  But if you look at the attacks on Elgyn, Vriess or when Ripley's abducted there's no screeching or hissing before hand.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Jun 23, 2020, 07:38:28 PM
Quote from: Wysps on Jun 22, 2020, 09:57:35 PM
Taking those elements away and giving them human hairstyles (i.e. Topknot), clothing (i.e. The Predator, old script), a polished appearance (i.e. AvP) etc. to me really undermines that special quality that they were introduced with.

https://media1.giphy.com/media/3oz8xwNlejeJDQREic/giphy.gif

Well said!

As someone who truly hates anthropomorphising the Predators, I've never had a problem with giving them differing hairstyles, especially Topknot.

Quote from: OpenMaw on Jun 23, 2020, 09:16:20 PM
It's like the netting. They've been fighting to get rid of that since the beginning. I love the story behind AVP:R. How they were gong to junk the netting, and then were told "Erm... Well in Predator lore that's part of the cloaking system, so you can't."

That's only said in the EU though, isn't it?

SiL

SiL

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2020, 06:02:25 AM
They can hear a human screams and gunshots when they're in the mess hall.  But if you look at the attacks on Elgyn, Vriess or when Ripley's abducted there's no screeching or hissing before hand.
Good points and I revise my statement to refer primarily to the AvP films.

OpenMaw

OpenMaw

There's one distant growling/roar sound when the crew is making their way through the ship.

When they're in the messhall you can hear a soldier open fire with his "real deal" gun and then presumably get eaten.

Just about every time the Alien shows up in AVP they're making noises. Just about any time they stick their snout into frame. Like SiL said, particularly in the tunnels.

The Aliens in Aliens never actually yelled out unless they were being shot and injured. Everything else was them giving off a threatening snake-like hissssssss. One of my favorite pieces of sound design in Aliens is the ambiance within the hive after the burster gets killed. That wonderful low cacophony of awakening aliens ready to strike.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jun 24, 2020, 06:04:09 AM
That's only said in the EU though, isn't it?

Granted, but that particular quote came from an anniversary video featuring all the Suit/Creature FX guys from SWS. Steven Wang(?) I think the guys name is. He said that's what was said on AVPR. They referred to it as "Starlight Express" and then someone came back saying it was the lore of the Predator that the netting was part of the cloaking device. Which is, apparently, why it was kept.

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2020, 06:02:25 AM

The attack of Elgyn has the Alien grabbing him and literally snarling and growling like a rabid dog. 

I'll give you Vriess and Ripley though. In those instances they actually retained some of the tension.

However Resurrection literally also has an alien rear back and roar.

SiL

SiL

The attack of Elgyn has the Alien grabbing him and literally snarling and growling like a rabid dog.
Yes, but not to announce themselves, as I'd mistakenly said.

Doesn't one roar underwater while grabbing that person whose name I've totally forgotten who had like twelve guns strapped to her?

SM

SM

Her name is Hillard and it was only eleven.

It does a small squealing sound just before it attacks her and what almost sounds like a burp as it grabs her ankle.

[cancerblack]

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2020, 07:45:10 AM

It does a small squealing sound just before it attacks her and what almost sounds like a burp as it grabs her ankle.

I always thought it was more like a washing machine mid-spin.

Kradan

Kradan

Quote from: SM on Jun 24, 2020, 07:45:10 AM

Well, that changes everything !

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

Well anyway, I just recently rewatched AVP as well and Im sorry but I had always liked the film ever since I saw it in theaters. The buildup, the look, the setting, the idea. I was surprised how much I liked it after seeing it after several years. Sure, its not a great movie and its cartoony and silly and over the top in places, but the first part of the film I greatly enjoy

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

This movie is a masterpiece compared to Requiem. I know many people weren't fans of the tanky Predators with the long wrist blades, but their overall design looked good and so did few of the fight scenes. It's a Versus movie so I think cheesy scenes are to be expected.

AliceApocalypse

I didn't mind AVP, I'm a fan of the comics.  Broken Tusk was a seasoned warrior and Scar was just a kid, also Lex wasn't Machiko; however I still appreciated the relevance.

AVP also introduced the Predator franchise to a new generation.  It might not be what some of the older fans might have wanted, but sometimes you have consider what will attract the next crew of fans. 

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: Phobos on Dec 09, 2020, 12:04:13 AM
This movie is a masterpiece compared to Requiem. I know many people weren't fans of the tanky Predators with the long wrist blades, but their overall design looked good and so did few of the fight scenes. It's a Versus movie so I think cheesy scenes are to be expected.

The long wrist blades never bothered me, in fact I would say its more practical to have weapons that has longer reach against the Aliens. Acid blood ruins everyone's day.

I wouldn't say their design looked good however, as their faces are less intimidating than the predators of their own movies.

BigDaddyJohn

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: The Cruentus on Dec 09, 2020, 07:14:51 PM
Quote from: Phobos on Dec 09, 2020, 12:04:13 AM

The long wrist blades never bothered me, in fact I would say its more practical to have weapons that has longer reach against the Aliens. Acid blood ruins everyone's day.

I wouldn't say their design looked good however, as their faces are less intimidating than the predators of their own movies.

And that they moved like big dummies without any grace, wich was also really bad.

StrangeShape

StrangeShape

For all the defending I did for at least the first one, the AVP movies were the only ones I havent upgraded to BluRay mainly because of bland and uninteresting releases. I did get them today so with the snowstorm just behind me, im looking forward to seeing them on Blu for the first time

[cancerblack]

AvP:R on Bluray: Now the pitch darkness is in HD!

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed