Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights

Started by Kailem, Apr 16, 2021, 12:46:54 AM

Author
Jim and John Thomas suing Disney to reclaim Predator rights (Read 91,523 times)

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: TomT on Apr 16, 2021, 06:42:38 AM
it could prevent Disney from making another piece of shit movie in this franchise for some time which is a good thing.

Disney hasn't made any predator movie yet dude, lol.

PAS Spinelli

Rest in peace Hunting Grounds

Voodoo Magic

^ You take that back!!! >:(

Quote from: molasar on Apr 16, 2021, 04:38:45 PM
What situation will it be if the brothers win? Will they keep full rights to the story concept only or to everything with soundtrack and final Predator design included?

Let's say if somebody wants to profit on music or creature design but not using any space hunter concept or Predator name do they need the brothers' legal approval for it?

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Apr 16, 2021, 05:08:16 PM
As Molasar stated below me, the brothers need to be careful here. I *highly* doubt they'd own the actual DESIGN of Predator which was from Stan Winston himself and I would presume NOT go to the brothers if they were to win. What a mess this is going to end up being.

I can't even wrap my mind around what both of you are suggesting.

The court rules for the plantiffs. And here's your rights to "Hunter" John and Jim.

But we sued to get Predator back!

I'm sorry, the original script you sold was called "Hunter".

Kailem

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Apr 16, 2021, 04:16:35 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Apr 16, 2021, 03:13:12 PM
And the bad thing is we may have already seen the first results of this with the comics being delayed.
I still think that delay is the Penguin deal. Because otherwise, by that logic, they would have delayed pre-production on Skulls until November too (or later). And who says any of these legal issues will be resolved that specific November month to tell comic retailers November for Predator anyway? The more profitable Penguin deal starts October - and that's the month the other title Predator variant covers would come out, then November is the ongoing Predator title #1 premiere. I think the good bet is still on that causality. :)

Yeah you're probably right, I'd forgotten about the Penguin deal. My mind is just going to "worst case scenario" right now.

Fingers crossed indeed that we get that Hunting Grounds April DLC update soon, since at least then it'll hopefully be an indication of whether or not everything going forward from tomorrow is going to be put on hold!

LiquidMonster

Best case scenario hear is that the brothers will take a nice "pay day"(settle with Disney) before any of this goes to court. They'll go through the motions but ultimately I think they'd be wise to take a settlement. I really think they would NOT win in regards to the actual DESIGN/USAGE of the iconic Stan Winston designed Predator Creature. It was designed AFTER filming had started and wasn't even the agreed upon *INITIAL* design(Fried Daffy Duck was). So yeah.....I predict they'll take a settlement. Depends on how long Disney wants to drag this out.

PAS Spinelli

best case scenario is Disney someone working with them so that they can oversee Predator related projects, because I genuinely can't see them 100% winning against Disney

[cancerblack]

Quote from: LiquidMonster on Apr 16, 2021, 08:41:46 PM
Best case scenario hear is that the brothers will take a nice "pay day"(settle with Disney) before any of this goes to court. They'll go through the motions but ultimately I think they'd be wise to take a settlement. I really think they would NOT win in regards to the actual DESIGN/USAGE of the iconic Stan Winston designed Predator Creature. It was designed AFTER filming had started and wasn't even the agreed upon *INITIAL* design(Fried Daffy Duck was). So yeah.....I predict they'll take a settlement. Depends on how long Disney wants to drag this out.

hehehehehe fried daffy

TomT

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Apr 16, 2021, 05:26:57 PM
it could prevent Disney from making another piece of shit movie in this franchise for some time which is a good thing.

Their ideas for both Alien and Predator, and what they've done with Star Wars (and I'm not even SW fan) tell me everything. I can pretty much guarantee they won't make anything good out of those franchises, I wish I was wrong here, but it's Disney in nutshell. Lionsgate or Paramount should own both Alien and Predator, I can't see any other studio doing it justice today. 20th Century Fox should've lost their rights a long time ago.

Mr.Turok

I do wonder for anything AVP related, will this be a hindrance for future content of AVP?

Quote from: Samhain13 on Apr 16, 2021, 03:22:19 PM
Quote from: Kailem on Apr 16, 2021, 03:13:12 PM
If it turns out we were only days away from getting a new map and Isabelle for Hunting Grounds, and the last ever fireteam update was an American football player, that's gonna be really crappy.

So my hate for that DLC can increase even more.
I hope that the latest DLC/Update is worth it and strong enough for us in the long run....for however long this stop will keep us down.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: TomT on Apr 16, 2021, 08:47:07 PM

Their ideas for both Alien and Predator, and what they've done with Star Wars (and I'm not even SW fan) tell me everything. I can pretty much guarantee they won't make anything good out of those franchises, I wish I was wrong here, but it's Disney in nutshell. Lionsgate or Paramount should own both Alien and Predator, I can't see any other studio doing it justice today. 20th Century Fox should've lost their rights a long time ago.

Well, when they made something genuinely interesting with Star Wars in the form of The Last Jedi, the internet screamed at them incessantly and caused them to back peddle in a rather crass attempt to course correct with the shit show that is The Rise of Skywalker. I'll give them some props for taking the risk in the first place with TLJ, but those brownie points there do get stripped away after having seen the way they followed up on that movie.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2021, 08:51:40 PM
Quote from: TomT on Apr 16, 2021, 08:47:07 PM

Well, when they made something genuinely interesting with Star Wars in the form of The Last Jedi, the internet screamed at them incessantly and caused them to back peddle in a rather crass attempt to course correct with the shit show that is The Rise of Skywalker. I'll give them some props for taking the risk in the first place with TLJ, but those brownie points there do get stripped away after having seen the way they followed up on that movie.
I didn't care about The Last Jedi, I didn't hate or love it, but I can see why so many people hated it. There are some strong moments and I liked Kylo Ren/Luke in it, but the entire Finn/Rose side quest is completely pointless and the movie feels almost like intentional parody on the franchise, scenes like flying super Leia in space make me question if it was made with a straight face or not, I hope not. But if it was made with a straight face, then I have some very bad news for both Johnson and Kennedy. I guess SW fanbase didn't like self-parody/meta approach, just like respective fanbases didn't appreciate it in Alien: Ressurection or Halloween: Ressurection ahah.

Nightmare Asylum

Nightmare Asylum

Alien: Resurrection feels more like 90s Dark Horse schlock than self parody to me. Well, on second thought, the two might kind of be one and the same, given most of those comics from that era. :D I hate Resurrection's script, but Jeunet kills it as director - the thing just oozes style (literally oozes; the movie is gooey as hell!). I absolutely love the way he brought Whedon's shitty script to life, so I give it a pass.

I probably could have gotten into The Predator as some silly, schlocky installment if it was as well-directed as Resurrection was. But the directing there was just as awful as the script, which is a real shame as I tend to love Shane Black.

TomT

TomT

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Apr 16, 2021, 09:05:17 PM
Alien: Resurrection feels more like 90s Dark Horse schlock than self parody to me. Well, on second thought, the two might kind of be one and the same, given most of those comics from that era. :D I hate Resurrection's script, but Jeunet kills it as director - the thing just oozes style (literally oozes; the movie is gooey as hell!). I absolutely love the way he brought Whedon's shitty script to life, so I give it a pass.

I probably could have gotten into The Predator as some silly, schlocky installment if it was as well-directed as Resurrection was. But the directing there was just as awful as the script, which is a real shame as I tend to love Shane Black.
I actually agree, I kind of like Ressurection because it oozes style and personality of its director, I'd say every Alien film in Quadrilogy has unique trademark style and could be considered an artistic expression of its filmmaker and I always appreciate that, it sets Alien apart from all other franchises.

BlueMarsalis79

My honest opinion's that TLJ's actually rather by the numbers, it just looks unique against the backdrop of a largely formulaic franchise, that got about as formulaic as it can with RoS.

Just completely different flavours of awful in the writing department.

20th Century Fox's reactionary, you only need look at their X-Men film line up to see that fact, Disney's stubborn and sticks to their guns consistently, when that's good it is good (Marvel Studios) when that's bad it is bad (Star Wars).

Proteus

Proteus

Perhaps Disney will flex their muscle and intimidate the brothers into a settlement out of court wherein Disney retains rights to any upcoming or future projects. The problem being is that lawyer that has dragged the F13 and Hellraiser settlement for years. Or one scenario could be like the Child's Play franchise where the studio held rights to the name and concept, which is why Don Mancini was only ever able to call his movies Chucky after Child's Play 3. And now you have a situation where the studio can make Child's Play content simultaneously with Don Mancini making his. Pretend the brothers don't win the right to the Predator name or the design but do win any content involving original script and character names like Dutch or ties to the first 2 films. Now they're allowed to do whatever they want with what they have. So you have Predator content as we now know it with films/comics/figures, while the brothers go off and make/shop around "Hunter" content.

With all that said, don't think that happens and we see this franchise come to a halt starting with the new film and comics. This will get as messy as F13.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed