Katherine Waterston Channels Her Inner Ripley in New Alien: Covenant Still

Started by Corporal Hicks, Dec 20, 2016, 08:13:30 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston Channels Her Inner Ripley in New Alien: Covenant Still (Read 29,041 times)

JokersWarPig

Quote from: NickisSmart on Dec 21, 2016, 06:05:33 PM
Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 21, 2016, 04:38:39 PM
Because Ridley's failed me once before and now he's already failing me again  ::)

You seem hard to please.

It's not that I'm hard to please, it's that it comes off as lazy and I'm afraid that means the whole production will seem "lazy" when I finally do see it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Dec 21, 2016, 05:40:22 PM
Aliens gave us iconic and original weaponry. To want more originality isn't an issue. I'm a little disappointed myself that we're not even seeing any attempt at redressing these guns to look different.

QuoteYeah, it's a little disappointing for those interested in the hardware but it's not going to kill the film.

What Hick's said here sums up how I feel.

lv_226

lv_226

Quote from: slipknotpredator on Dec 21, 2016, 08:24:35 PM
hmmm... first photo from covenant that worries me a little. There's no need for another Ripley. Remember that chick from AVP2 screaming "HOLD ON!" while driving the APC? Not good.
Good Lord, I had pushed that down into the recesses of my mind...

Quote from: SsgtJira on Dec 20, 2016, 10:07:21 PM
Gun is Steyer Austria with RIS Rail systems ;)
That's pretty cool that you know this.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Dec 21, 2016, 10:23:03 PM

It's not that I'm hard to please, it's that it comes off as lazy and I'm afraid that means the whole production will seem "lazy" when I finally do see it.

I don't think it "means" much of anything at this point, except that you might be jumping the gun, so to speak. So if you think the guns are "lazy" then everything will be? That's like saying that you don't like Aragorn's sword, ergo you think every other production aspect of LOTR will be just as "bad." That's a tad extreme, especially since guns might not be the focus of the film, even if some people want them to be.

Have you seen any of the other stills thus far? They don't exactly scream lazy to me, even if what's-her-face looks like Ripley and is holding a modified Steyr. I'm not willing to discount everything good that I've seen thus far on account that the firearm isn't decorated enough. To be honest, I'd rather have it look like a real gun than a silly toy. It looks like a gun that shoots bullets. Beats whatever the hell guns they had in Alien: Resurrection. Hell, just play Alien: Isolation. The shotgun in that game is based off a real gun. God forbid. Does that make the production "lazy" as a whole? Of course not.

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

AvP:R was an epic merc fest! I had such a blast watching that film (Im being serious)... Literally every 2 minutes someone dies in a rather horrible way or another!

Outside of the merc fest... it was shit lol But at least it was FUN shit ;)

But I REALLY doubt A:C is going to be a turd. For the most part these days, people are TOO harsh on films and expect WAY too much from them anymore. Instead of viewing them as a form of entertainment created by HUMAN BEINGS (to err is human) that is there for the sole purpose of viewing for 2-3 hours worth of enjoyment, weve all gotten to the point of such high expectations of EVERY piece of cinema we go see (at least it seems like it).

Oh sweet raptor Jesus, Katherine Waterson may resemble Ripley in being the heroine of the film (much like Shaw was in Prometheus)... BIG DEAL. She may have to put on her big girl pants and suck up the sense of fear to save her own butt (and possibly others) and look out, she might be toting around a machine gun and shotgun to shoot Aliens with... Make her an Ellen Ripley clone this does not. It just shows a female being bad ass and owning her shit!

I guess Im just super happy we finally get answers to the first film. We get to see characters we care about further evolve... and we get to see a creature weve all loved for the past (almost) 40 years get some kind of explanation as to what it might actually be. I choose to go into this film ignoring little details everyone here is nit picking and arguing about. Why not lose yourself in what the movie might be instead of your preconceived notions about whats wrong with it based on silly little details. Ridley Scott is finally giving us, what looks like, and amazing film that is the first of 3 before we go straight back into Alien again.

But then again... I tend to look at life in a little more positive way than most for the things I love and take interest in (never mind I write loud, evil and angry industrial music lol)

Scorpio

The closest to a Ripley clone was in AVPR.  Driving an APC and with a little girl, yes, but other than that she was quite different. 

Shaw and Lex weren't Ripley clones at all.

Actually the only real Ripley clones are in Alien Resurrection.  :P

I don't see 'Ripley clone' here except girl with a gun.  Ripley didn't even have short hair in Aliens and she wasn't wearing a tank top.  If she yells "Get away from her you bitch!" though I'm walking out of the theatre.  :P

SM

QuoteActually the only real Ripley clones are in Alien Resurrection.

;D

Woman with a gun is hardly a 'Ripley clone' anyway, just 'cos the actual Ripley used one for 20 minutes in one film.  She didn't strut around the place posing with guns in the films - she used them when necessary.  Even in Resurrection, she hands over her gun to Hillard, then throws the flamethrower away after torching the failed clones.

Scorpio

Quote from: SM on Dec 22, 2016, 12:59:47 AM
QuoteActually the only real Ripley clones are in Alien Resurrection.

;D

Woman with a gun is hardly a 'Ripley clone' anyway, just 'cos the actual Ripley used one for 20 minutes in one film.  She didn't strut around the place posing with guns in the films - she used them when necessary.  Even in Resurrection, she hands over her gun to Hillard, then throws the flamethrower away after torching the failed clones.

That's true, outside of Aliens, she only fires one shot in Alien Resurrection.  Classic Ripley uses a flamethrower and is dressed in jumpsuit (with cat, not little girl).  Aliens Ripley takes more after Rambo.

HABIT

Quote from: DorkiDori on Dec 20, 2016, 09:06:01 PM
OMG! SHE HAS A GUN AND SHORT HAIR AND A TANK TOP ON! RIP-LEY-OFF!!! (see what i did there?)
Are bad puns ban-worthy here, Hicks?

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Xeneus on Dec 22, 2016, 01:16:14 AM
OMG! SHE HAS A GUN AND SHORT HAIR AND A TANK TOP ON! RIP-LEY-OFF!!! (see what i did there?)

Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answers to?? :laugh:

whiterabbit

I'm sorry guys but the moment I saw that image I thought it was that one dude from Deep Rising, the dude in the middle with the gun... just to be super obvious.

NickisSmart

Or the guys from Contra:

This is totally a good thing. :)

whiterabbit

whiterabbit

Oh my god she really does look like the guy form Contra... meh I can live with Contra: The Alien Wars.

SM

Corporal Hicks

How did you guys not know that?  :laugh:

Quote from: Xeneus on Dec 22, 2016, 01:16:14 AM

I'm evil but I'm not that evil.  :P Repeated bad puns might push me too far though...

whiterabbit

Quote from: Corporal HicksHow did you guys not know that?  :laugh:

Well I didn't automatically think Lance from Contra but I guess I should have considering I thought she was a guy at first.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed