Kroft's timeline

Started by Russ, Oct 01, 2018, 09:00:40 AM

Author
Kroft's timeline (Read 7,953 times)

The Old One

The Old One

"All Proofs"

Perhaps "Genuine connections and thematic similarities." Is not profitable?

Russ

Russ

Quote from: SiL on Oct 01, 2018, 08:44:07 PM
We should start an Aliens Downunder podcast where we enthusiastically underwhelm people with idle musings and act like it's revelatory stuff.

Too late...

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Quote from: SM on Oct 01, 2018, 08:50:20 PM
We should start an Aliens Downunder podcast where we enthusiastically underwhelm people with idle musings and act like it's revelatory stuff.

"G'day.  Now 'ere's somethin' you have'n' 'eard before, and it solves every mystery an' plugs evry plothole.  Engineers made Aliens to foight the Predators!"

Dick! Aren't you supposed to be watching the kennels and making sure the snatchers don't escape?  :laugh:

SM

SM

Nah, not moi shift ya drongo.

Quote from: Russ on Oct 02, 2018, 08:18:02 AM

Too late...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9m8CNvLtHXg

Whiny, boring, bullshit and wank.  Impressive.

Russ

Russ

Now, SM - don't get bent out of shape cos he Aussie-Casted his stuff first.  :D :D :D

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Oct 01, 2018, 08:41:27 PM
Stacks of people have tried the 'Charles is Peter's father' method of marrying the two series.  Fox says otherwise.

Maybe some day I'll also be able to underwhelm the world with my method of linking Alien and AvP...
[actively derails the thread with a 7-page debate about why the Charles is Peter's father theory makes sense]

Real talk: it does make sense tho.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 02, 2018, 05:33:10 PM
Stacks of people have tried the 'Charles is Peter's father' method of marrying the two series.  Fox says otherwise.

Maybe some day I'll also be able to underwhelm the world with my method of linking Alien and AvP...
[actively derails the thread with a 7-page debate about why the Charles is Peter's father theory makes sense]

How about the Weyland guy at the end of Predator: Concrete Jungle?  ;)

Brother? Cousin?

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

The theory clearly works. When has fox said otherwise?

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Frosty Venom on Oct 02, 2018, 06:24:36 PM
When has fox said otherwise?

Fox doesn't care about any of that canon/continuity stuff, just that we keep giving them money. They give freedom for directors and writers to do their own thing.

SM

SM

How does it work?  Is Charles Bishop Weyland a professor of comparative mythology?

Fox has deliberately avoided linking Peter Weyland to AvP via the promotional material for Prometheus and the Weyland-Yutani Report - both of which were a prime opportunities to do so.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2018, 08:31:33 PM

How does it work?  Is Charles Bishop Weyland a professor of comparative mythology?

Fox has deliberately avoided linking Peter Weyland to AvP via the promotional material for Prometheus and the Weyland-Yutani Report - both of which were a prime opportunities to do so.
They also deliberately didn't say Peter Weyland's father's name in the WY Report or the Weyland Corporate Timeline, despite those being a prime opportunity to do so and put the issue to rest once and for all. It's almost as if they're being intentionally vague, so that people who want to believe they're related can do so if they choose, and those who don't can believe that they're not.

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 02, 2018, 05:56:32 PM
Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 02, 2018, 05:33:10 PM

Brother? Cousin?

I genuinely don't remember that, I guess that's an excuse to replay the game and refresh myself on it. :P

Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 02, 2018, 06:32:32 PM
When has fox said otherwise?

Fox doesn't care about any of that canon/continuity stuff, just that we keep giving them money. They give freedom for directors and writers to do their own thing.
Also, this. "Canon" as a concept is not useful for fans, and it's only marginally useful for writers to provide them with a framework and context - and only if they feel they need it. If the license-holders are going to let writers do their own thing, then all that matters is, "is it a good/fun/effective story, well told?"
Also "canon" and "continuity" aren't synonyms.

Samhain13

Samhain13

Quote from: Xenomrph on Oct 02, 2018, 09:11:10 PM
Quote from: Samhain13 on Oct 02, 2018, 05:56:32 PM

Brother? Cousin?

I genuinely don't remember that, I guess that's an excuse to replay the game and refresh myself on it. :P

If you are interested: http://avp.wikia.com/wiki/Weyland_(person)

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

If you really wanted to fit Concrete Jungle into the continuity you could easily say that this Weyland is Peter.

Quote from: SM on Oct 02, 2018, 08:31:33 PM

Charles Bishop Weyland could have easily been a professor of comparative mythology in his earlier years, we know that he graduated from Harvard at 21 and that it was only after his fathers death that he inherited the company. You cannot possibly claim to know that Fox has deliberately avoided linking them with the purpose of keeping the universes separate. It more likely that it has been left vague so it's open to interpretation. I'm fine with you believing that they are separate universes but for people who like them to be under one universe it is possible.

If you do believe the Weyland Industries timeline truly contradicts AVP, what are you going to believe? some promotional work or an actual entry in the franchise? This timeline also suggests Peter created a cure for cancer in 2023 and who do we know dies from cancer? Amanda Ripley in 2178.

SM

SM

QuoteYou cannot possibly claim to know that Fox has deliberately avoided linking them with the purpose of keeping the universes separate.

I possibly can.

Frosty Venom

Frosty Venom

I'm not meaning to come at you; I'm just trying to spark the debate as I do enjoy the subject  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed