ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages)

Started by Cvalda, Nov 23, 2013, 05:33:45 AM

Author
ALIEN: The Weyland-Yutani Report (S.D. Perry, 160 pages) (Read 386,954 times)

predxeno

Because this isn't fixing continuity at all, it's worsening it; if Fox just retcons whatever story it likes then it'll pay even less attention to continuity issues because it knows it can just nix conflicting ones. 

Many critically acclaimed and award-winning Star Wars stories have been nixed for the exact same reasons and worse, many of the newer stories that ended up nixing the older ones are of inferior quality and are obvious attempts not to tell a good story but to cash in on a popular franchise, definitely not award-winning or critically acclaimed material.  I stopped buying into Star Wars a long time ago because I knew each new product will be nixed for a newer replacement version, I don't want to have to do the same with AVP.

Ultramorph

I can't wait for more of the comics and novels to hit shelves, so we actually have stories and things to discuss/review, rather than the endless canon/continuity debates.

SM

QuoteBecause this isn't fixing continuity at all, it's worsening it; if Fox just retcons whatever story it likes then it'll pay even less attention to continuity issues because it knows it can just nix conflicting ones. 

You say this as if it's anything new.  They released comics in 1988 - they were made redundant in 1992.  They made more comics after that.  They were made redundant in 1997.  More video games and novels came along that ignored Resurrection and Ripley's sacrifice in Alien3.

They're now simplifying eveyrthing down to 5 films and the new batch of comics, novels and video games.  The next Prometheus film could come out and bugger things up again.

I appreciate your disappointment that this elaborate fantasy you concocted where everything with an Alien logo on it was somehow canonical, has been all for naught, but Fox owns the thing and they call the shots.

Ditto Disney with Star Wars.  I read a massive amount of EU stuff for a long time, but I think the prequels made a lot of it redundant.  Their status in continuity doesn't stop some of them being good stories.  I still need to catch up on Fate OF the JEdi and all the stuff that came after, and mean to at some point.  Nevermind their canon status.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'm just now finishing up on the Karen Traviss Republic Commando novels.  I get why some fans hate them (and her), but I actually think they're quite good.  I have no illusions about their canonicity though.

At this point, I take the EU for what it is and cherry pick its better elements to improve my own head canon.  One day I hope to write it all down like John Doe in Se7en.

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 21, 2014, 10:40:07 PM
At this point, I take the EU for what it is and cherry pick its better elements to improve my own head canon.

I agree with this and I even commend it.. I've even contemplated on making a fanon-verse.

Cvalda

The Alien films are the only "canon" Alien stuff.

The Predator films are the only "canon" Predator stuff.

The AVP films are their own spinoff thing (which is best forgotten).

Going anywhere beyond that is a) taking things way too seriously and b) stupid and delusional.

Ultramorph

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 21, 2014, 11:00:10 PM
Quote from: Local Trouble on Sep 21, 2014, 10:40:07 PM
At this point, I take the EU for what it is and cherry pick its better elements to improve my own head canon.

I agree with this and I even commend it.. I've even contemplated on making a fanon-verse.

I agree, it's the best way to maximize enjoyment of the material and minimize headaches.

But everyone can do what they want. The problem comes, as it always does, in trying to convince people on the Internet of one's point of view.

SM

Why do people on the internet need convincing?

Just read what you like, however the common point of reference as of now will be detailed in the WYR.

As there is at least one more movie in the works, this is open to change.

predxeno

I think the only time this comes into conflict is when someone tries to explain a movie through the lens of the EU or AVP films only to have someone else call out "not canon".

Ultramorph

Quote from: SM on Sep 21, 2014, 11:23:31 PM
Why do people on the internet need convincing?

Just read what you like, however the common point of reference as of now will be detailed in the WYR.

As there is at least one more movie in the works, this is open to change.

My point was a bit unclear: I don't think people need convincing at all. The problems come when people try to do just that. That's when topics devolve into canon debates and people get their feelings hurt.

SM

Indeed.

QuoteI think the only time this comes into conflict is when someone tries to explain a movie through the lens of the EU or AVP films only to have someone else call out "not canon".

If people do that now, they'll actually have a point.

predxeno

I doubt it, at one time Alien 3 was "not canon", an opinion that frugal can't be trusted at all, let alone be in charge of anything.

Local Trouble

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 21, 2014, 11:59:17 PM
I doubt it, at one time Alien 3 was "not canon", an opinion that frugal can't be trusted at all, let alone be in charge of anything.

You should take steps.

predxeno

Steps to what?

Local Trouble

To achieve your objective.  Drastic measures, if necessary.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed