New Tv Spots!

Started by Darkoo, May 01, 2012, 07:20:56 PM

Author
New Tv Spots! (Read 136,584 times)

profox

profox

Quote from: Mastes1 on May 01, 2012, 08:41:53 PM
Quote from: Eva on May 01, 2012, 08:28:19 PM
Do people just choose to ignore the tall actors they hired to play the engineer, specifically for making them - you know, tall looking, including one of them tweeting that it was him in the pic of the engineer sitting in the chair?  :D

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/843/843439/space-jockey-alien-3_1199392767.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/aliens/images/2/26/SpaceJockey.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8sv9gYsuLwc/SZirSdNmPII/AAAAAAAAAEo/C3xW7_iLs50/s1600/006.jpg

Come on give it a rest will you, look at the size of the space jockey in ALIEN, the jockey is too small in Prometheus, even 8 foot actors would be too small!.
Also why do all the space jockey sets look so cgi in Prometheus wwhen compared to ALIEN?, i know they did build the sets but they look bad compared to ALIEN.

I agree, also the design seems different now that I look at it, the base has completely been redesigned!

Eva

Eva

Come on give it a rest will you, look at the size of the space jockey in ALIEN, the jockey is too small in Prometheus, even 8 foot actors would be too small!.
Also why do all the space jockey sets look so cgi in Prometheus wwhen compared to ALIEN?, i know they did build the sets but they look bad compared to ALIEN.
Alien - they used kids in suits to make the jockey set and the jockey appear larger than it was in the wide shots. But your point is sound - the jockey in Alien was bigger than the engineer/jockey in Prometheus - but we knew that already. That's not my point.

If people wanna hate this aspect, feel free to do so - I don't care  :)

My point is that the engineer in Prometheus approaching the chair is taller than the average human (approx 9ft).

I made this using a behind the scenes pic to visualize it:

(you can use a still of David in the room and make a comparison that arrives at the exact same conclusion)

The crewmember and the actor playing the engineer are aligned almost at the same position relatively to the chair, meaning standing to the right of the chair area, the engineer perhaps some 3 ft closer to the foreground. Even when you account for the difference in overall perspective and angle (making the engineer appear a bit taller and accounting for the difference in cryotube lenght), that's a pretty significant height difference. I'll buy that the engineer is some 9ft tall in that shot.

@OpenMav - you are absolutely correct - it could also be Ford or some redshirt. I never stated it as fact that it was David (nor will I). Btw, re-watch that scene and notice again how tall the approaching engineer is ;)

DendaReloaded

DendaReloaded

Quote from: Esoteric_Voyage on May 01, 2012, 09:28:06 PM
Quote from: DendaReloaded on May 01, 2012, 09:25:56 PM
Quote from: Esoteric_Voyage on May 01, 2012, 09:20:11 PM
Quote from: Eva on May 01, 2012, 08:28:19 PM
Do people just choose to ignore the tall actors they hired to play the engineer, specifically for making them - you know, tall looking, including one of them tweeting that it was him in the pic of the engineer sitting in the chair?  :D

http://starsmedia.ign.com/stars/image/article/843/843439/space-jockey-alien-3_1199392767.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/aliens/images/2/26/SpaceJockey.jpg
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_8sv9gYsuLwc/SZirSdNmPII/AAAAAAAAAEo/C3xW7_iLs50/s1600/006.jpg

i completely agree with you here, while i know in the large scope of things it doesnt matter too much as far as how good a film prometheus will be, but it does annoy me that the original impression of the jockey/alien race has been lost. the Jockey's size and appearance was more convincing and left a more alien feel, i think this is the cost of no Giger in some ways.

inventing the 'suit' idea also took away from its mysteriousness and 'alien' feel. i wont speak for others but when i saw the jockey in ALIEN i had the impression it was purely 'creature' rather than something that 'suits up'. it also seemed  to give me an impression that its movement wasnt that speedy and wasn't much of a creature of agility (think of a creature like an elephant)

in prometheus, we have a humanoid alien that wears a suit and is more human size. and moves just like a human (as seen by the running jockeys.)

i am not flaming the film, im just rightfully expressing my views on where the film has taken the jockey.

i am very excited for prometheus and i feel im going to like the film quite a lot - independently from the alien franchise. i love the new story in and of itself.

however, attaching it to the alien series, particularly alien, i dont think it helps alien so far, i feel it has taken away from the original.

as for the lighting, i never noticed this difference until you spotted it, well spotted. i agree it looks more cgi, iv been thinking about it for a good few minutes before writing this as to why it looks so different. as you said, the sets are real, one notable difference is the lighting, in ALIEN they used a very bright light to highlight the chair which ended up giving it much deeper shadows with little ot no detail. in prometheus, the lighting is very balance, all shadows contain detail and the image perhaps looks more flat.

im pretty sure i read that Part of the chair was always going to be 'cgi' so perhaps in most chair shots that contain cgi, alot more cgi was done to the image.

i mentioned the lighing, did yoĆ¼ mean me or did someone else say it too???

you can tell by looking at who i quoted - it was mastas.

also, i think some of those scenes are mostly cgi, considering the 'walking cgi jockey' is in the scene.

but he didn't say anything about the lighting... doesn't matter <3 <3 <3

Ulfer

Ulfer

One more point : it's the use of "ridiculous" that I find inappropriate. I would understand if you used "disappointing", "frustrating", but I frankly don't see how it could be "ridiculous", not even from a fan point of view...  :-\

Nothing will impede us to write fan fictions, to draw alternative Engineers, to remake in our head the film as we would have liked it...  ;)

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

The jockey is too small: dont watch the film then.
Its too human: dont watch the film then
Its a crappy man in a suit: dont watch the film then.

Whatever happened to keeping an open mind. Also be mindful of the fact this film wont  be all things to all men. Some of you WILL, be left dissapointed. However a lot of people will love it !! Myself i dont care if its too small or whatever as long as the story is told well is what matters. However some or many of us fans will need to be aware it may not be the story we all hoped for.

Mastes1

Mastes1

I know they used kids for perspective Eva but they weren't supposed to be kids in the film!. Yes the 'blue man' jockey is bigger than the humans but he's still way too small compared to the jockey in ALIEN and he looks ridiculous when he's stood close to the chair, it looks like a child next to an adults chair.

Quote from: Ulfer on May 01, 2012, 09:45:19 PM
One more point : it's the use of "ridiculous" that I find inappropriate. I would understand if you used "disappointing", "frustrating", but I frankly don't see how it could be "ridiculous", not even from a fan point of view...  :-\
Because it does look ridiculous when the jockey is next to the chair, the scene where he's sat in the chair also looks ridiculous compared to ALIEN, it looks tiny with its little short arms, its like a child space jockey.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

Well said Rusti!

Here's the piece that most people seem to missing in terms of the Jockey's size. If that suit grows out of the chair, then my bet is that it also increases the size of the Jockey.

Judging this film based off out of context millisecond clips of film is ludicrous...and yet, people continue to do so. I've said this over and over and over.

VickersAsh

VickersAsh

someone should seriously cut together all the footage from trailers, tv spots and featurettes into a mini movie.  ;D
ik the sound would be a mess, but still  :o

Ulfer

Ulfer

Quoteits like a child space jockey.

But yes, in absolute, it could be a young Engineer...
And no, being an alien "child" or a "baby" is not ridiculous. See the chestburster for instance.  ;D
Even though in the other stills posted here, it looks like it has the good size, or a bit smaller than the one from Alien considered when we can see the actors (not the children).

QuoteIf that suit grows out of the chair, then my bet is that it also increases the size of the Jockey.

Indeed, of course.

QuoteJudging this film based off out of context millisecond clips of film is ludicrous...and yet, people continue to do so. I've said this over and over and over.

Yes. And I would add that I understand the great fans and that I reasonably understand their concerns, but they will also have to judge the film disregarding the aspect "I wanted the SJ greater" but seeing if what will be on the screen works or not, to judge the film for itself and not in relation to Alien. Overall if they want to review it more objectively ;) But of course in what regards the individual wishes, it's different. ;)

Mastes1

Mastes1

Quote from: RustiSwordz on May 01, 2012, 09:45:40 PM
The jockey is too small: dont watch the film then.
Its too human: dont watch the film then
Its a crappy man in a suit: dont watch the film then.

Whatever happened to keeping an open mind. Also be mindful of the fact this film wont  be all things to all men. Some of you WILL, be left dissapointed. However a lot of people will love it !! Myself i dont care if its too small or whatever as long as the story is told well is what matters. However some or many of us fans will need to be aware it may not be the story we all hoped for.
No ones saying they don't want to watch it though are they. This is a forum and we discuss what we see on here, good and bad, would you rather we all agreed with each other and we all held hands and talked about how great the world is?.

Mastes1

Mastes1

Quote from: Ulfer on May 01, 2012, 09:53:36 PM
Quoteits like a child space jockey.

But yes, in absolute, it could be a young Engineer...
And no, being an alien "child" or a "baby" is not ridiculous. See the chestburster for instance.  ;D
Even though in the other stills posted here, it looks like it has the good size, or a bit smaller than the one from Alien considered when we can see the actors (not the children).

QuoteIf that suit grows out of the chair, then my bet is that it also increases the size of the Jockey.

Indeed, of course.
Ulfer please i'm not trying to be argumentative or something but look at the ALIEN pics i posted, the space jockeys ARM is bigger than the humans, the jockey itself would be well over 12 feet tall, does the jockey in Prometheus look anywhere close to 12 feet tall in any of the screens or vids we have seen?

Esoteric_Voyage

Esoteric_Voyage

im not sure what is more funny, people who hate on prometheus for their reasons, people who Notice the discrepancies between prometheus and alien or fans of prometheus getting agitated because not everyone accepts the discrepancies as much as they do.

its like different religions, when one religion expresses their belief (e.g. ALIEN fans) it threatens the belief of prometheus fans - belief in the film being a good loose alien prequel - that is, at least continuity speaking.

ones belief making another feel insecure about their own is ... not suggesting a secure one.

RustiSwordz

RustiSwordz

@Mateses1

(Sorry i dont use quotes much my mobile isnt good at using those functions!)

Im not against good solid discussion, what bugs me is when  people start heavily critisising a few short clips and not seeing through to the bigger movie. I feel people are setting themselves to be dissapointed right from the word go. I just feel perhaps these people are better off saving their cash.

Ulfer

Ulfer

I'm not sure, but in the pics you posted Mastes1, it seems to me (I may be mistaken) that it's again the children that we see on set... When we see the actors, the Jockey appears at its true size, which is a bit larger maybe than the Engineer we see in the pics from Prometheus, but that's hard to say...

Quotenot everyone accepts the discrepancies as much as they do.

There would be a discrepancy if it were the same ship, the same individual Engineer, the same planet... That's not the case, as we were some to say before it was officially revealed. I remember well, several weeks ago, that I was forced to be convoluted in my argumentation so as not to be taken as offensive towards those who believed hardly that it was "the Jockey", the Derelict, and LV-426. Now the debate has changed, but we can't say much before the release, and it will maybe be a matter of debate after the release, I don't know... But once you consider the various reasons that have been evoked in other topics and the few I've given, the matter of the size of the Engineer seems no longer to be a discrepancy. But on the other levels, there is not really an objective answer, but I find that the notion of practicity in the context of Prometheus (in terms of scenario, shooting, etc.) is interesting to explain why the Jockey is not as massive as some would want it to be (at least in these scenes).

Esoteric_Voyage

Esoteric_Voyage

wether its the children or the adults, the engineer/jockey in alien is still significantly bigger, i mean significantly. when i say signifcantly, i mean like comparing the size of a 17inch macbook pro screen, to a 37 inch hdtv screen.  the way its being talked about here is like ' a few feet' as if its the difference between a 13 inch laptop and a 17 inch one. i really don't think so. which ever way we cut it,  it doesnt work, suited jockey or not. the jockey in the trailers still looks pudgey and small compared to the fully framed jockey in alien.

lets just also be clear on something, when everyone watched ALIEN and saw the jockey, there was absolutely no impression of a humanoid that suits up, there wasnt any impression like that at all, it looked almost like skeletal remains. can anyone come here and say they guessed or suspected a suit even? i mean before we ever heard of prometheus.

now, if we had an xeno included in Prometheus, and it happened to pop off its penile looking head and underneath it turned out to a humanoid inside, would you feel the same way about the original xeno? would it still seem like an alien? of course not.

Giger knew what he was doing, thats why they hired him.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed