"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel

Started by Stolen, Sep 02, 2020, 07:24:59 PM

Author
"That’s in process" - Ridley on Next Alien Prequel (Read 64,281 times)

Kimarhi

I'm just saying there is a reason that we never got a sequel to Covenant.  Because it didn't make money.

If you are in business the end result IS money and all fans of the series interested in new content should have more than a passing interest in how the films do financially as well.

If you go to experimental and you lose audience then you just don't get a sequel. 

So nobody wants to see the same take over and over in the films for sure.  But you won't get to see ANY take on ANY film if there is no money coming back in for the releases. 

Its the same reason there was no sequel to AvP2.  The film was so trash that the AvP franchise was thought a dead end franchise that couldn't make money.  So they axed it.

For AvP at least I think the mousehouse might've been the best place for it to end up.  Tonally the AvP franchise in all media is never has hardcore as the standalone franchises (when the franchise goes extra gory like AvP2010 it gets super cheesy storytelling), so a PG13 mass market appeal release I could see working with them moreso than the individual franchises. 

St_Eddie

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2022, 01:13:35 AM
I'm just saying there is a reason that we never got a sequel to Covenant.  Because it didn't make money.

I understand and appreciate that.  I don't even particularly want to see a followup to Covenant, personally speaking.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 07, 2022, 01:13:35 AMSo nobody wants to see the same take over and over in the films for sure.  But you won't get to see ANY take on ANY film if there is no money coming back in for the releases.

Suits me just fine.  I don't crave any more Alien movies or a TV series.  I don't like that what started out as art has now become a "franchise".  I know that concept is alien to a lot of fans (if you'll pardon the pun); the idea that unless there's a really interesting story to be told, that maybe the series should just be left alone, but it's how I feel.  I don't need a new movie or TV series just because.  If they're gonna make another one, then there better be a damn good reason to do so, but now that Disney is in charge, they'll beat this horse to death and milk every last possible cent from it.

Kimarhi

Kind of feel the same way but not.  Part of me knows the Apex of the franchise was the first three movies.

But part of me wants to feel that way again no matter how many times somebody has to try to get it right. 

PsyKore

I also yearn for a properly great Alien film again, despite how out of reach that feels right now. I would just love to feel that excitement again.

It can be annoying to think about, because in all the movies since AR, there's still been bits of brilliance scattered throughout here and there. It's like a tease. But I think it's those parts that I enjoy that keeps my hope alive; like someone will eventually catch on and get it right.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 01:30:42 AM
I thought David was the best thing about the prequels.  Not too keen on him making the Alien, but they could still explain it away later by saying he was just some crazy android making shit up or that he followed the end design of someone else for the Alien in the very least it makes sense on why the facehuggers are designed the way they are. 

I was much more bothered by Prometheus take on just about everything though than I was Covenant. 

And Ridley Scott does have too much power over the franchise and I always wonder why.   He was AWOL from the franchise for years and somehow came back and became the primary voice for the franchise in which he constantly hears everything he puts forth as a good idea from the echo chamber he's created. 

It's not that I dislike Ridley, it just that nobody has told him no and he just makes some wile'in out crazy ass ideas that make no sense.

Yes, to all of this. I thoroughly Covenant - warts and all. David is easily the best thing to come from the prequels and I absolutely love him. Dislike the creator angle but again, ways around this going forwards, but I like the thematic elements of him being the creator. Love the notion of this being his expressions of sexual desire he can't express in other ways.

And completely agree with your thoughts on Ridley. He needs to be told No and people aren't doing it. Love his style, don't love his narrative ideas.

Quote from: Kimarhi on Mar 06, 2022, 03:34:54 PM
I personally don't think we will get well established directors in the Alien verse anymore.  Just because directors and writers are going to see how Scott has wrote them into a corner. 

They do something unrelated to the prequels and people will bitch about leaving the prequels unfinished.  They do something in the prequels and people will bitch because they are the prequels.  They reboot the franchise and people will bitch because of the reboot.

This is one of the reasons I'm really curious about the new film in development. I'm quite happy for them to leave David up in the air and never touch it. I'm too afraid of where Scott will take it. There's no need to reboot it either. Just do what Alvarez is doing, as the comics tend to, and go do something standalone.

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Mar 06, 2022, 06:44:59 PM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 06, 2022, 04:29:44 PM
I don't think anyone's complaining now, we are getting a completely standalone Alien film, a Predator film soon, and a TV Series, what reasonably more could you ask for other than also a theatrical conclusion to the prequels?

A reset on AvP, set in the future with Muhreenz.

But at this rate, that'll be announced in a week or two.

Yes. please.

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Mar 06, 2022, 06:57:48 PM
I wonder if Disney would be crazy enough to make an animated AVP movie from the Predator's point of view. I mean, they're the main characters. There would be human in between of course. But our hero/heroine is a Predator.

And yes please to that too. I'm dying to see AvP done in some stylized fashion, doing it from a Predator PoV with no dialogue - or just the creatures in general, no dialogue - is something I'd absolutely love to see.

BlueMarsalis79

BlueMarsalis79

After watching Prometheus yesterday, and Alien Covenant today, with people who had never seen them before didn't like David getting away at the end, want to see an end to the story.

Oh and they thought Alien Covenant overall better lower lows higher highs, even though Prometheus had several more memorable characters, but liked Daniels and Tennessee best, and they absolutely loved the Neomorphs.

Took several issues with the films, felt Prometheus kinda interesting, but felt more engaged with Alien Covenant overall during viewing.

Felt Elizabeth Shaw as a protagonist got cheated, but then everyone does that's kinda the point, and set up an antagonist that you despise so we APPARENTLY NEED A CONCLUSION.

Nukiemorph

Show them the Advent short and get them even more annoyed, then maybe they'll join the online movement... and bring our numbers up to about a dozen.

BlueMarsalis79

Also something that got me thinking, lots of people do not care much for The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones but do really enjoy Revenge of the Sith, by not getting a proper conclusion we will never know it might have turned out to be the best one.

Local Trouble

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 20, 2022, 01:08:58 AM
After watching Prometheus yesterday, and Alien Covenant today, with people who had never seen them before didn't like David getting away at the end, want to see an end to the story.

Did you tell them that David will become the Space Jockey?

kwisatz

Quote from: Local Trouble on Mar 20, 2022, 02:54:12 AM
Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 20, 2022, 01:08:58 AM

Did you tell them that David will become the Space Jockey?

There are limits...

Nukiemorph

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 20, 2022, 02:28:44 AM
Also something that got me thinking, lots of people do not care much for The Phantom Menace or Attack of the Clones but do really enjoy Revenge of the Sith, by not getting a proper conclusion we will never know it might have turned out to be the best one.
I've always compared it to that. Even if people didn't like Episodes 1 & 2, wouldn't they be frustrated if 2 bombed, 3 was cancelled, and there was forever a gap in the narrative?

Local Trouble

Not if 1 and 2 were leading up to Jar Jar becoming Darth Vader.

NoStyleDutch

Quote from: BlueMarsalis79 on Mar 20, 2022, 02:28:44 AM

You just made a great point!

kwisatz

Maybe that's also Cameron's approach with these Avatar films  ;D

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed