Peter Weyland video ! ^^

Started by Snowdog, Feb 28, 2012, 07:16:01 PM

Author
Peter Weyland video ! ^^ (Read 147,042 times)

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I hope so. Much respect to Cambo for what he did....but the mythos left it's serious roots and turned into a testosterone-fueled pseudo-comedy summer blockbuster. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but it altered two of the next three films, so much so that they tried to recreate what Cameron did. Fincher was THE ONLY director who tried to right that wrong.

red_otter

red_otter

Quote from: ThisBethesdaSea on Mar 04, 2012, 04:04:08 PM
I hope so. Much respect to Cambo for what he did....but the mythos left it's serious roots and turned into a testosterone-fueled pseudo-comedy summer blockbuster. There's nothing inherently wrong with that but it altered two of the next three films, so much so that they tried to recreate what Cameron did. Fincher was THE ONLY director who tried to right that wrong.

Interesting post on several counts - not least that you're seriously contemplating the fact that Ridley might de-canonise (if that's the right term) even Aliens! Hadn't read that idea before.

I'd never thought of the Fincher as an attempt to return to the original but I can see what you mean. My feeling, though, is that all four true canon Alien films (as I see them) are actually strikingly different from each other; and the message of Aliens (which I think is as good a film in its way as the original, albeit a very different type of movie) is that this is a flexible franchise - as long as the film has a clarity of vision (which Alien3 and AR both severely lacked), it can be taken in different directions and still work. Which is why Prometheus, as a not-too-literal prequel is such a good concept, for me at least.

I think to call the Cameron a pseudo-comedy is a stretch but I know what you mean! On a recent rewatch I did find Paxton a tad 80s, and not in a good way  :-\

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I kind of doubt that Ridley's "DNA" comment really means much more than we'll recognize ideas and concepts from the Alien franchise. I doubt even more that it means anything in relation to canon. Since it takes place before all of the other movies (AVP excepted), it neatly sidestep having to deal with anything that came after Alien. But if he does contradict Aliens in any significant way, than I'm out for blood.

red_otter

red_otter

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 04, 2012, 05:30:19 PM
Since it takes place before all of the other movies (AVP excepted), it neatly sidestep having to deal with anything that came after Alien.

How does that work? Aliens added to the universe of Alien with all sorts of significant detail. Prometheus could respect that or not - I don't see how its prequel status contradicts that.

I honestly can't work out Ridley's DNA comments. I feel like if they literally refer to DNA then that's way too big of a spoiler given the level of secrecy around this film. But they still could be, so they're ambiguous.

Honestly though, after the fake storyboard/call sheet hybrids I think this viral campaign is capable of anything. Scott and various other producers are quite deliberately fvcking with us. Not that I'm complaining - I think it's kinda fun  ;D

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

Quote from: red_otter on Mar 04, 2012, 05:48:53 PM
Since it takes place before all of the other movies (AVP excepted), it neatly sidestep having to deal with anything that came after Alien.

How does that work? Aliens added to the universe of Alien with all sorts of significant detail. Prometheus could respect that or not - I don't see how its prequel status contradicts that.

I honestly can't work out Ridley's DNA comments. I feel like if they literally refer to DNA then that's way too big of a spoiler given the level of secrecy around this film. But they still could be, so they're ambiguous.

Honestly though, after the fake storyboard/call sheet hybrids I think this viral campaign is capable of anything. Scott and various other producers are quite deliberately fvcking with us. Not that I'm complaining - I think it's kinda fun  ;D

What I meant was that Prometheus doesn't need to address any of the developments the mythos underwent post-Alien. For example, if the origin of the xenomorph is explored in Prometheus, then maybe the first queen hasn't developed yet.

red_otter

red_otter

Quote from: KiramidHead on Mar 04, 2012, 05:51:39 PM
Quote from: red_otter on Mar 04, 2012, 05:48:53 PM

What I meant was that Prometheus doesn't need to address any of the developments the mythos underwent post-Alien. For example, if the origin of the xenomorph is explored in Prometheus, then maybe the first queen hasn't developed yet.

True, but I guess it'd still have to bear those developments in mind. I think Cameron, Fincher and Jeunet have still introduced headaches for Scott. Unless he really is just going back to the first film.

Who knows? I just went to the official website and can't beLIEVE it's 90-odd days til we get answers to this stuff. Grr.

AmazSpiderMan1

AmazSpiderMan1

Any film series with multiple directors is going to have mistakes and inconsistencies. That's the nature of the beast. But because Alien is a masterpiece, people seem to forget the rules still apply. You just gotta accept it, and rationalize the canon errors the best you can. Example: "The Alien Queen was a form of evolution, and the Aliens could have other means of creation." See, I just made that up, but if you want to include the egg creation scene from Alien, you gotta fill in the blanks yourself. I have a feeling Prometheus is going to be riddled with canon problems. Which leads me to another question: What is alot of your guys beef with Aliens? It's a great, well made, film and really turned Ripley into the character we think of today. In a few ways it excelled it's original, and should be commended for it. I just find it mind blowing so many "purists" think it's crap and should be erased from the canon.

Vulhala

Vulhala

It's a completely different film from the first, and I love it equally in its own right.

ThisBethesdaSea

ThisBethesdaSea

I don't think it's crap, not whatsoever. It's a brilliant film.  I would just liken it to a comic book as opposed to a Shakespearean play that was the first film. I LOVE comic books by the way.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

I think it's an overrated movie by an overrated director. Cameron makes iconic and completely awesome designs, that's for sure, but the movies themselves are actually nothing special. He's the master of cinematic eye candy. Just pisses me off about all the hype he gets, that's why I love how Avatar somewhat flopped since it kind of put the finger on Cameron's weakness. Aliens is just like that too. The movie ages really bad in the sense it gets campier and cheesier every time one watches it. The last 20 or so minutes of the movie are horrible (the powerloader fight annoys the hell out of me). Aliens got NOTHING on Alien. Sometimes I wish they used the Alien draft where Ripley dies in the end so that Aliens never was made, but that would've been a pity though since it means that there wouldn't be an Alien 3.

Cvalda

Cvalda

Quote from: SpreadEagleBeagle on Mar 04, 2012, 09:29:20 PM
I think it's an overrated movie by an overrated director. Cameron makes iconic and completely awesome designs, that's for sure, but the movies themselves are actually nothing special. He's the master of cinematic eye candy.
Not true. A lot of his movies are among the greatest blockbusters ever made (ALIENS, T2, Titanic). He is a master of the form. He is not a great filmmaker by any stretch, but he is a genius moviemaker--there is a difference between the two.

QuoteJust pisses me off about all the hype he gets, that's why I love how Avatar somewhat flopped since it kind of put the finger on Cameron's weakness.
It didn't flop--it's the highest grossing motion picture of all time. Not that that's a reflection on the quality of the movie itself, I'm just sayin'.

QuoteAliens is just like that too. The movie ages really bad in the sense it gets campier and cheesier every time one watches it. The last 20 or so minutes of the movie are horrible (the powerloader fight annoys the hell out of me).
ALIENS definitely has some cheese fumes, and the last act is a direct carbon copy of the last act of the original film, but come on, it's an iconic scene in cinema with terrific effects and editing.

QuoteAliens got NOTHING on Alien.
This, however, is unequivocally true.

SpreadEagleBeagle

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: Cvalda on Mar 04, 2012, 09:40:51 PM
Not true. A lot of his movies are among the greatest blockbusters ever made (ALIENS, T2, Titanic). He is a master of the form. He is not a great filmmaker by any stretch, but he is a genius moviemaker--there is a difference between the two.

I don't care about blockbusters. The only movie of his that I like is Terminator. But you're right, he's a master of the form and thus a great movie-maker - Hollywood movie-maker, and that's why I find nothing special about his movies.

QuoteIt didn't flop--it's the highest grossing motion picture of all time. Not that that's a reflection on the quality of the movie itself, I'm just sayin'.

Money has nothing to do with it. I'm referring to how disappointed all Cameron fan-boys (including fan-boy critics) were after watching Avatar.

QuoteALIENS definitely has some cheese fumes, and the last act is a direct carbon copy of the last act of the original film, but come on, it's an iconic scene in cinema with terrific effects and editing.

Godzilla is iconic too.

This, however, is unequivocally true.

:)

ChrisPachi

ChrisPachi

I would say that there is a big nod to Aliens by their forthright usage of the "Building Better Worlds" slogan. Unless this appears in the first film somewhere that I missed then Scott is making an effort to connect the mythos to some degree. And the new WY logo is far more like the Aliens version than the original.

-Chris

Deuterium

Deuterium

that's why I love how Avatar somewhat flopped since it kind of put the finger on Cameron's weakness.

Huh?  That is like bizzaro-world talk.  Did you come here from some alternate universe in which Avatar was considered a flop?

Edit:  Oh, I see you were not speaking in terms of box-office ^

Nevermind

Infected

Infected

I think it's an overrated movie by an overrated director. Cameron makes iconic and completely awesome designs, that's for sure, but the movies themselves are actually nothing special. He's the master of cinematic eye candy. Just pisses me off about all the hype he gets, that's why I love how Avatar somewhat flopped since it kind of put the finger on Cameron's weakness. Aliens is just like that too. The movie ages really bad in the sense it gets campier and cheesier every time one watches it. The last 20 or so minutes of the movie are horrible (the powerloader fight annoys the hell out of me). Aliens got NOTHING on Alien. Sometimes I wish they used the Alien draft where Ripley dies in the end so that Aliens never was made, but that would've been a pity though since it means that there wouldn't be an Alien 3.
LoL
You talk a lot of bs about a great action movie and then you come with something crappy like Alien3.
you cant be takin seriously.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed