Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well?

Started by LastSurvivor92, Mar 21, 2019, 12:49:19 AM

Author
Has Alien vs. Predator (2004) aged all that well? (Read 41,680 times)

Kradan

I have soft place for AVP (movie) in my heart especially because it introduced me to Queen. I think movie portrayed her really well. That scene when she rises from her personal "fridge" and electricity starts to wake her up is gorgeous.

Voodoo Magic

I like that scene too.

Unlike the Predators, other than the rapid life cycle, I do think Aliens came off pretty well in AvP.

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 23, 2019, 01:55:01 PM
I like that scene too.

Unlike the Crabators, other than the rapid life cycle, I do think Aliens came off pretty well in AvP.

Fixed. :laugh:

Voodoo Magic

Ha good catch. Unlike me, you're clearly firing on all cylinders this morning! ;)

TheSailingRabbit

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 23, 2019, 02:05:40 PM
Ha good catch. Unlike me, you're clearly firing on all cylinders this morning! ;)

I'm in a moderately good mood. Got a full night's sleep, coffee, and got some good ideas for my current book.

The creative juices are flowing.

Spoiler
Plus, I got an ambitious project going for my art thread.
[close]

SM

Quote from: Kradan on Mar 23, 2019, 12:58:46 PM
I have soft place for AVP (movie) in my heart especially because it introduced me to Queen. I think movie portrayed her really well. That scene when she rises from her personal "fridge" and electricity starts to wake her up is gorgeous.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-vSfuNdiEEI8/WAJSbFZ28dI/AAAAAAABuKY/DvDjnAu4z1gW7umqxDK2EwtsZR549toswCLcB/s400/tumblr_mxgzs7Cro81sl5leko1_400.gif

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/NegativeBitesizedGroundhog-max-1mb.gif

It's decent enough up to the point where we see the eggs being laid and we get possibly the most obvious model shot in any of the movies.

Local Trouble

The prequels make it look a bit better in hindsight, but not by much.

JungleHunter87

JungleHunter87

Quote from: SiL on Mar 21, 2019, 02:30:33 AM
I liked it in theaters, didn't like it on home release, but honestly it's grown on me like a mould.

^ This.

Watching it in theaters back in 04'. I enjoyed it because I was seeing it with friends.

After that I realized I actually wasn't that big a fan. I didn't touch it upon home release because of that.

But, all these years later? I can appreciate it more than I did then. Still not my preferred film from either franchise. Not by a long shot.

So yeah, it hasn't aged well overall. However, there are some minor things I can appreciate about it.

LastSurvivor92

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Mar 22, 2019, 01:24:27 PM
To me age hasn't helped it. But to be completely fair, I didn't like it back in 2004 either.
I feel like when the film reaches the pyramid it takes a downward spiral into something goofy. All the acting and dialouge is corny and stale and the jokes and nods are pretty notably out of the early 2000's era. The creature effects and special effects are pretty cool but I completely agree that age has not helped it whatsoever.

PsyKore

Unlike the Predators, other than the rapid life cycle, I do think Aliens came off pretty well in AvP.

I don't know about that. The alien that jumps on Lex's spear and fails to use its arms or tail was pretty daft.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: PsyKore on Mar 24, 2019, 11:02:01 AM

I don't know about that. The alien that jumps on Lex's spear and fails to use its arms or tail was pretty daft.

But when compared to the Crabators in football pads in vey human, cold steel aesthetic ships that were worshipped as Gods... oh baby did the Aliens come off well. ;)

The Old One

The Old One

My mind's version of the film is superior, the genuine experience of viewership is dull excruciation.

Especially the designs of both adversaries.

Voodoo Magic

Fair point.

Just making a relative comparison in badness, as in which adversary got pummeled worse, not by their opponent ironically, but by their creators, even though bruises resulted throughout. ;)

Master

AvP grown on me with time. Fifteen years later ( fifteen years! God the time runs) we've seen it is hard to do much better and really not that hard to do much worse. It did age well though and still looks fresh. To be honest last years The Predator had subpair cgi compared to teenage AvP.

Huggs

It's stinky.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed