Blomkamp Shares ADI Alien Sculpt for Alien 5!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 06, 2018, 08:54:49 AM

Author
Blomkamp Shares ADI Alien Sculpt for Alien 5! (Read 42,546 times)

The Old One

The Old One

I prefer Isolation's take on it.

Russ840

Perhaps they were going the route of the 'Big Chap' design being a precursor to the 'Queen' and this in a step in that transformation.

LtJesseRipley

426Buddy

426Buddy

It would have been interesting to see an updated big chap in new a film. Not digging the extra arms though.

Leemour84

Leemour84

This posses me off coz Blomkamp is a talented filmmaker his ALIEN 5 would be been bugnuts insane ((not sold on the return of Hicks as 2 generations of fans do like A3 & A4. Plus if love to see Blomkamp take a turn in a AVP film or even a PREDATOR film.

Perfect-Organism

That looks awesome!  This movie is taking on legendary status.  I hope it gets made while Michael Biehn and Sigourney Weaver are still with us and willing.

The Old One

The Old One

Thought Neill Blomkamp was confident the project would never see the light of day?

Perfect-Organism

I have to say Blomkamp's team got the proportion of head to body much better than the Covenant team did.  Maybe they intentionally made the head disproportionately smaller to the alien body, but it ended up looking a bit silly at times.

AVP-CAPCOM

Perfect-Organism took the words out of my mouth.

While I loved ALIEN-COVENANT the creature effects and the design were the worst part of the movie. The inferior "unfinished suit with added CGI overlay" just didn't work for me and looked creaky rather than "creepy".

The lack of practical effects in COVENANT was probably caused Ridley Scott shunned Amalgamated Dynamics cause they worked on his arch rival project AVP and AVP-R.

I still hope they make ALIEN-5 but again no Ripley or Hicks or retconning ALIEN 3 or Resurrection. Bring in new characters that channel the dynamic but are different.

Blomkamp is making a mistake beating that dead horse that is ROBOCOP. Come on no-one cares about "Reaganomics" consumerism, social disorder or gentrification. They are more lifestyle choices now than fears.

SiL

Scott had practical Aliens on-set created by a talented effects company. The lack of practical effects in the finished film was him not thinking they were as effective as the digital versions.

The Old One

The Old One

Somehow, I doubt any of Ridley Scott's choices are consciously influenced by AVP or AVPR.

There's a combination of spectacular practical and CGI effects in the prequels.
I'd go as far to say there's not a shot in Prometheus that fails on a technical level.

I don't know what happened with the CGI for the Aliens and Neomorphs in Covenant, but they had practical references to begin with.
Odd Studio's work was spectacular. MPC's creations on everything but the creatures is remarkable.

I enjoyed the design of the "Protomorph" myself, it and the design from Alien Isolation are the top contenders for my own preference.
Odd Studio's Egg and Facehugger design blow all the previous versions out of the water for sure.

Xenomorphine

Said it before and I'll say it again... We would have had the most biomechanical realisation of the Alien since the unused Superfacehugger model.

Love the extra limbs; they're properly in proportion. Suspect this was meant to infer an evolutionary new Queen/adult genetic mutation. Kind of wish we'd finally get a proper return of the original ridge-headed design, but we knew from the concept art that wouldn't occur. Looks like an attempt to recreate the dome-skull was being done.

If this was ridge-headed, it would have probably become my most favourite design. :)

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Oct 06, 2018, 02:47:55 PM
The lack of practical effects in COVENANT was probably caused Ridley Scott shunned Amalgamated Dynamics cause they worked on his arch rival project AVP and AVP-R.

How was it a rival when it was already made years before? And why even hire a company in the first place if you're going to be petty-minded enough to somehow 'punish' them at your own expense?

Look back at the live interview I carried out during Alien Day with Conor O'Sullivan. He said the intention was always to 100% replace any practical creature limbs, etcetera, with CGI. That was the plan from the very beginning, according to him. They used a lot of 3D printing to allow them to create things on demand, but it was always only ever for gauging how light interacted with it.

Of course, we know from a later interview that Scott is under the belief that 'Aliens' somehow featured CGI creatures in it (back in the eighties). Presumably, that's what made him 100% CGI creature effects would be the course to go.

Gilfryd

Quote from: skull-splitter on Oct 06, 2018, 12:07:53 PM
And not one applauds the accuracy ADI displayed in this sculpt?
Yeah I know right? I can abide by the extra arms for that alone. No weirder a cosmetic difference than Isolation's Big Chap digitigrade legs.

(Although personally I would save features like that for a transitional young queen/praetorian but whatever).

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

The skull is back! Local Trouble would not approve.

Quote from: AVP-CAPCOM on Oct 06, 2018, 02:47:55 PM

Lol no, Ridley isn't a tetchy five-year old.  :laugh:

He used Odd Studios because they are an Australian company and because he was obligated to use Australian labor due to the incentives and rebates deal he made with the Aussie government.

Quote from: Gilfryd on Oct 06, 2018, 04:42:53 PM
Yeah I know right? I can abide by the extra arms for that alone. No weirder a cosmetic difference than Isolation's Big Chap digitigrade legs.

If he didn't add the extra set of arms there would be nothing for anyone on the internet to bitch about. Can't have that.

proto leech

they got a base hit after striking out for years. nothing to be too proud of.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed