Fan Reviews

Started by RazorSlash, Feb 28, 2013, 07:52:40 PM

Author
Fan Reviews (Read 27,133 times)

livin_target

livin_target

Playing it on my Samsung Tab 2 and barring a few slight framerate drops in some areas, and some minor camera issues in parts, no problems so far- touch wood.

I do like that they did manage to include things like the lifecycle and customizable characters. As mentioned elsewhere, the prices of upgrades are a bit steep unless you are willing to lay down even more money (which I'm not).

My main complaints are that the alien doesn't quite feel like an alien- it just feels too slow and rigid. The controls for both alien and predator could do with being a lot more fluid. At times it felt like the touchscreen wasn't registering my commands. I think this is what spoiled my enjoyment most- it just became frustrating at times trying to guide your character through combat. What's quite strange is that the combat in Predators feels much smoother, so it feels like a step back in Evolution.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Jim Sterling writes for Destructoid and hosts Podtoid, one of the best podcasts ever.

He's also a huge fan of Aliens and the like.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-alien-vs-predator-evolution-247581.phtml?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Evidently this game is garbage too :(

I actually was thinking of picking this up, but now...nope! I usually don't have much in the ways of expectations for iOS games of this sort, but at least that Dead Space game worked well given the platform it was on. Frustrating in parts, but it worked.

2013 has been hard on the Aliens series it seems.

SM

SM

Average rating is around 57% at the moment.

I was thinking about buying it - only $5.50 after all (despite it being $4.99 in the USA and us having a stronger dolllar - f**k YOU APPLE!!) - but might wait for some updates.  A few reviews talk about it being buggy.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

The destructoid review is godawful, it's chock-full of a bunch of complaints that are outright false. I seriously wonder if he actually played the game or not, because for every negative review I can find like 3 positive ones.

zasz

zasz

Re destructoid review:
I agree that the gameplay is somewhat repetitive, and there are some graphical glitches.

I personally haven't experienced QTEs and combos not being recognized. Actually, as long as I bothered to time the combos, they came out alright. I didn't think the attacks were slow either. The first attack in a combo is slower than the others, but it's not that bad.

Things I don't agree with:
He says the game isn't balanced, the reason being that executions recharge health and kills enemies quickly, but it can be risky. Given the huge benefits of executions, wouldn't the risk actually balance it out? If it had no risk, wouldn't you become some kind of god-like being? It is frustrating to accidentally start an execution sequence though, but he doesn't touch on that.

He also says the framerate drops during some sequences. But then he specifically says he couldn't chain combos when being surrounded by enemies, which makes me think it's not quite that. Maybe he really does have framerate problems in those sequences, but you're (generally) not supposed to be able to chain combos when being surrounded by enemies because of recoil. When you get hit, your combo gets interrupted and you have to take some time to recover, which means getting boxed in is deadly for your character.

Then he complains some more about getting boxed in. Which raises the question, what is he doing getting boxed in? Considering what he said earlier about "prodding the screen until everything's dead", it sounds like he was too busy button-mashing to avoid getting boxed in. Besides, what do you expect them to do, politely line up and wait their turn?

His complaints actually convince me that this isn't a braindead button-masher.

RazorSlash

RazorSlash

Quote from: Xenomrph on Mar 07, 2013, 12:38:16 AM
The destructoid review is godawful, it's chock-full of a bunch of complaints that are outright false. I seriously wonder if he actually played the game or not, because for every negative review I can find like 3 positive ones.
I can vouch for the Destructoid review, in that I've personally experienced most of what he claims. Except he seems to have actually managed to progress further than me- My game crashes on the loading screen to the next mission. After trying to load it up a couple times each day for about 3 or 4 days, I just gave up and started praying for an update.

demonbane

demonbane

I never experienced any crash like you guys, so that is no problem for me. I am using Samsung Galaxy 3.
The real frustrating part is terrible camera angle system and general combat.
I really don't like keeping old tradition of nerfing Predator compared to Movie version. I don't think making Predator as efficient and powerful as movie version won't break gameplay. I am stuck at Predator level after Alien disables power generator. Light is out. I have to use thermal vision to take out a group of marines in dark, yet they can still see me very well despite darkness+cloaking. It is impossible to tell whether I am cloaked or not in thermal mode. It is plain frustrating. And energy depletes too fast considering amount of marines in present. Execution time is too long and stupid since it cancelles cloaking. It is stupid that execution takes too long and other marines kill me while in process. And it is stupid that developers still think keeping cloaking would be overpowered when it is not. Since I am stuck at that level, my review may not be 100% accurate, but when the game gives more frustration than challenge, then there is problem. I don't think the developers even tested their own games. I don't think 3d action translate well into mobile app, especially something like AVP which should be treated far better.

I say 5.5/10. And that's me being generous. I really tried to love this game. I even doubted people giving negative review, but after experience frustration after another, I just can't let my love for franchise cloud my judgement.

zasz

zasz

Quote from: demonbane on Mar 10, 2013, 05:02:53 AM
I really don't like keeping old tradition of nerfing Predator compared to Movie version. I don't think making Predator as efficient and powerful as movie version won't break gameplay. I am stuck at Predator level after Alien disables power generator. Light is out. I have to use thermal vision to take out a group of marines in dark, yet they can still see me very well despite darkness+cloaking. It is impossible to tell whether I am cloaked or not in thermal mode. It is plain frustrating. And energy depletes too fast considering amount of marines in present. Execution time is too long and stupid since it cancelles cloaking. It is stupid that execution takes too long and other marines kill me while in process. And it is stupid that developers still think keeping cloaking would be overpowered when it is not. Since I am stuck at that level, my review may not be 100% accurate, but when the game gives more frustration than challenge, then there is problem. I don't think the developers even tested their own games. I don't think 3d action translate well into mobile app, especially something like AVP which should be treated far better.

That part was pretty hard for me too.
Actually normal marines can't generally see you in the dark, only when you're really close (same as when you're cloaked) and I think also when you're doing an execution. Sometimes they also fire without aiming, which might still hit you. However there are 3 cloaked marines that have thermal vision, so they can always see you (even in other levels when you're cloaked), and their shots really hurt. So you don't need cloak for this mission. And if you just really need cloak, try the Wolf set.

And it's pretty normal that you can't tell if you're cloaked or not in thermal vision. After all, thermal vision is supposed to let you see through cloaks.

demonbane

demonbane

Quote from: zasz on Mar 11, 2013, 06:52:37 PM
Quote from: demonbane on Mar 10, 2013, 05:02:53 AM
So I have to upgrade stuff to get through that level? Do I have to earn credit through replaying certain levels? I don't want to spend extra cash on terrible game.
And in other game say Predator Concrete Jungle. You could distinguish the difference in thermal vision. When cloaked, Predator is shown blue, suggesting electric device causes higher temperature.

That part was pretty hard for me too.
Actually normal marines can't generally see you in the dark, only when you're really close (same as when you're cloaked) and I think also when you're doing an execution. Sometimes they also fire without aiming, which might still hit you. However there are 3 cloaked marines that have thermal vision, so they can always see you (even in other levels when you're cloaked), and their shots really hurt. So you don't need cloak for this mission. And if you just really need cloak, try the Wolf set.

And it's pretty normal that you can't tell if you're cloaked or not in thermal vision. After all, thermal vision is supposed to let you see through cloaks.

echobbase79

echobbase79

I just recently bought this game for my Ipad and got about halfway through and now it keeps crashing. I can play the past levels and unlocked missions before level 7 but trying to load that particular mission I can't get the damn thing to stop from falling out. To bad to because the game is pretty fun. Oh well.

Thunderjack88

Thunderjack88

Have to admit I haven't played a lot of the game which is a shame. The controls (Nexus7) scream controller support rather than touch screen as its a solid game just find my thumbs start to move e away from where they need to be when things get heated.

Fingers crossed I get over this and get fully into it as nice detail to the series.
-Lumberjack1988

Dark Blade1

Dark Blade1

the game is really fun i beat the game and i always play with the alien i use a tablet to play it its the best avp app i ever played.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed