Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens?

Started by Aliens1986fanboy, May 03, 2020, 02:03:59 AM

Author
Why do some people prefer Alien over Aliens? (Read 35,521 times)

The_Nostromo_Files

The "Hotpocket Brigade" must be fed!

[cancerblack]

But they do it for free  ???

blacksymbiote

Alien is more the horror film I prefer and Aliens quite frankly hasn't aged well.

BigDaddyJohn

Can I ask in what way ? I'm curious.

Kimarhi

I don't think the tech has aged well in Aliens. 

Look at a Ranger from the 75th Ranger Regiment today, and look at a colonial marine and tell me which one looks more advanced.

This of course will ALWAYS be a problem in sci fi.  The movies are made at a certain time and technology keeps advancing while the movie is always a reflection of that time.  Still it doesn't help that aside from the ships,  the stuff the grunts carry just looks big and clunky and outdated. 

Though being able to carry a full combat load in only two magazines would be the bees knees. 

SM

I would guess as technology gets more compact, so would real world weapons?  Big and clunky is good for a visual medium though.  It makes it look dangerous.  You want a gun to look like it could make a hole in a tank rather than just remove a melanoma.

Kimarhi

It should get smaller, lighter, and more compact.  But who knows.  Technology is also cyclical.  Remember in WWII when soldiers didn't wear body armor because it was outdated and cutdown on mobility?

If a side starts wearing uparmored exoskeletons, who knows what grunts would carry.

The more compact they make shit, the more you carry anyways. 

kwisatz

That's no moon...

Kimarhi

SW never went for realism though. 

Aliens isn't realistic, but it at least looked that way. 

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on May 05, 2021, 02:08:00 AM
I would guess as technology gets more compact, so would real world weapons?  Big and clunky is good for a visual medium though.  It makes it look dangerous.  You want a gun to look like it could make a hole in a tank rather than just remove a melanoma.

The gun that remove a melanoma seems like an elegant weapon, for more civilized universes  :laugh: it reminds me of Star Trek and how its creator dreamed of a utopia without wars, where everything can be handled through dialogue and diplomacy. Yes, that is far from being Star Wars, Starship Troopers, let alone the dark and grity universe of Alien. I guess it depends of the fictional universe identity and what it's triying to tell to the audience.

Edit: Although it depends on the movie. For example, while Prometheus generates an in-universe tech anachronism, it was a scientific expedition.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 05, 2021, 02:27:00 AM
SW never went for realism though. 

As you said it's often cyclical. And sometimes the smallest operations demand the biggest gadgets.

Spoiler
[close]

Local Trouble

Wouldn't the Alien films count as steelpunk?

SiL

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 05, 2021, 02:18:00 AM
Technology is also cyclical.  Remember in WWII when soldiers didn't wear body armor because it was outdated and cutdown on mobility?
And before that, when plate armour gave way to wearing a cuirass and helmet because guns made full plate obsolete.

I guess when everyone's running around with explosive-tipped armour-piercing rounds, why bother with armour ... ? (I can still think of many reasons but you get the drift.)

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Kimarhi on May 05, 2021, 01:41:39 AM
This of course will ALWAYS be a problem in sci fi.  The movies are made at a certain time and technology keeps advancing while the movie is always a reflection of that time.

Prometheus anyone? Yep, agreed. We can do our best to explain some of this stuff away, but we're always going to run into this problem.

BlueMarsalis79

It's not an issue, in my opinion anyway, because trying to predict the future's ultimately futile it's what it reflects in us that's interesting.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed