Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions

Started by Corporal Hicks, Sep 11, 2018, 02:32:37 PM

Author
Shane Black Talks The Predator's Third Act Revisions (Read 20,556 times)

MudButt

MudButt

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 18, 2018, 06:07:07 PM
Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 17, 2018, 08:51:46 PM
Like in Justice League, you could almost see the cuts made by studio involvement...

So who made a bonus before it was sold to Fox and why is Jon Davis still running these films?

Honestly, I'd love to know where people think they can "see the cuts" and "see the reshoots" because I never seem capable of that magic.

There was one scene in particular that was so obvious. It was the scene we are introduced to Olivia Munn's character. It was the scene that was cut due to the sex offender but you can tell there's a chunk missing there.

The entire forest scene in the 3rd act at night is a reshoot. Notable character deaths are changed significantly from the original script and I believe the first test screenings. The CG there is a bit off because they probably didn't have as much time to work on it.  The whole scene felt a bit low budget, like they had to get it done quickly, which they did. I like parts of that scene but it does feel like it was added in late.

There is also a bunch of ADR'd dialogue from Olivia Munn's character that's added in for exposition because they probably realised they need to explain some stuff.

Can't forget the last few minutes either. That scene is entirely a reshoot. It felt so tacked on.

BishopShouldGo

Apologies if someone else brought it up, but we also didn't see how Nebraska got that police car either. Not a big deal though.

MudButt

Quote from: BishopShouldGo on Sep 18, 2018, 06:37:31 PM
Apologies if someone else brought it up, but we also didn't see how Nebraska got that police car either. Not a big deal though.

From the original leaked script it wasn't explained either. He just shows up in it for comedic effect.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: MudButt on Sep 18, 2018, 06:20:47 PM
[The entire forest scene in the 3rd act at night is a reshoot. Notable character deaths are changed significantly from the original script and I believe the first test screenings.

I would love for those who saw the test screenings to manifest themselves and talk about it here, the deaths, the scenes shot as initially planned etc... I mean there can't be an embargo that lasts till now ?

MudButt

Quote from: BigDaddyJohn on Sep 18, 2018, 08:34:19 PM
[The entire forest scene in the 3rd act at night is a reshoot. Notable character deaths are changed significantly from the original script and I believe the first test screenings.

I would love for those who saw the test screenings to manifest themselves and talk about it here, the deaths, the scenes shot as initially planned etc... I mean there can't be an embargo that lasts till now ?

I know that Coyle originally died during the APC scene from a hybrid attack. You can find set photos of his body on top of the APC with his face all tore apart. I would like to read how the movie changed from the test screening as well. Perhaps Hicks and Co. can get the detail and on the next podcast discuss changes from the leaked script, to the original cut that was shown in test screenings, and then to the final film!

Whos_Nick

All will be revealed soon  ;)

D88M

Quote from: Samhain13 on Sep 14, 2018, 06:13:55 PM
Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 14, 2018, 02:57:34 PM
https://screenrant.com/predator-movie-reshoots-changes-shane-black-fox/

Not read yet.

I don't really look into the behind the scenes stuff from many movies, but The Predator have the biggest development mess I ever saw so far. And I'm not sure if those reshoots hadn't happened it would make things better for me.

Predators working with the US army wearing military pants that get killed mere minutes after being introduced, mutated predator hybrids with more limbs and tentacles, a kid using weaponized autism against predators. The hell Shane. This movie was doomed to have issues from the start. Between this crap and the ending we got, it's hard to decide which would be less worse.

They could just had done the Fugitive team up with humans to fight the Upgrade in place of the friendly preds and make up something less controversial at the ending. It's like the writers of Aliens vs. Predator: Deadliest of the Species were involved in this. So many nonsense. What's next? 20 foot tall predators? More Human-Predator hybrids? Why make create new types of predators? The original creature is already great on its own.

Justice Leage was worse in that aspect but yeah, The Predator was bad from the script, i dont see how much studio meddling besides the obvious ending scene could have provoked more damage to an already very flawed movie.

Quote from: skull-splitter on Sep 17, 2018, 08:51:46 PM
Like in Justice League, you could almost see the cuts made by studio involvement...

So who made a bonus before it was sold to Fox and why is Jon Davis still running these films?

Justice League was like 90% whedon/wb footage and it was so noticeable.

Wysps

Me too. I find it interesting and sorta odd that no one has written an article or posted a video about the test screenings, if indeed they were as different from the final product as they said.

Whos_Nick

I've done videos on the changes, my friend Mr H Reviews has done some as well. Also spoke with Hicks about stuff it'll be revealed soon.

Corporal Hicks

Fear not. I'm working on a deleted scenes page.

oldnorse

Quote from: Wysps on Sep 19, 2018, 02:45:40 AM

Me too. I find it interesting and sorta odd that no one has written an article or posted a video about the test screenings, if indeed they were as different from the final product as they said.

Can only second this. I would be very interested in hearing reviews and story lines/deaths etc from any test screenings, old and new that differ from the final movie.

EJA

A lot of what happened with The Predator sounds very similar to what happened with Alien 3.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: MudButt on Sep 18, 2018, 09:43:56 PM

I know that Coyle originally died during the APC scene from a hybrid attack. You can find set photos of his body on top of the APC with his face all tore apart. I would like to read how the movie changed from the test screening as well. Perhaps Hicks and Co. can get the detail and on the next podcast discuss changes from the leaked script, to the original cut that was shown in test screenings, and then to the final film!

Yeah i saw Coyle's picture when it leaked, but i remember it seemed already different from what was described in the script (he was supposed to have his spined ripped out), here it just seemed his face was messed up, and the creature that killed him appeared dead and shredded all over the APC. Very curious to know more about all that.

SyntaX

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 19, 2018, 07:22:36 AM
Fear not. I'm working on a deleted scenes page.

I think that'll be a pretty small page then?

DELETED SCENES

Act 2
Act 4

END OF PAGE  ;D

Wysps

How long was the original cut? Seems like it must have been over 2 hours with those huge chunks missing. I'm also intrigued about the script —> pre-reshoots —> post-reshoots transformation. Will be interesting to see what was originally planned on paper versus what actually made it to the first version.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed