Was Sgt. Apone a Freemason?

Started by Salt The Fries, Jul 09, 2021, 06:04:48 PM

Author
Was Sgt. Apone a Freemason? (Read 2,812 times)

[cancerblack]

[cancerblack]

That settles it then.

Reluctant Jeri

Reluctant Jeri

So I've just come from the AVP wiki entry on Apone and see the Apocalypse Watch ring sighting was already referenced there. Don't want to give the impression I swiped someone else's research.

Necronoir raises a good point about actors finding their character through wardrobe and I would suggest that we as an audience pick up on these subtle indications that these characters have a history. After all I think it is fair to say we don't get much beyond Apone is tough but fair, well liked by his marines and enjoys a cigar.  :)
I doubt Cameron would miss noting a ring, given actors remove personal jewellery for roles all the time, so I would imagine it would fall under the heading of creating character backstory much like the actors being encouraged to personalize their armour.

City Hunter Yautja

What does it tell us about Srgt Apone? (Seeking to further discussion with question)

Reluctant Jeri

Reluctant Jeri

Argh! Cole what have you done - this is the kind deep dive speculation I live for (read obsess about) ;D

Transposing how Al Matthews wearing the ring over to Apone, he wears the ring with a different orientation in Aliens than he does in Apocalyse Watch and in later life. I am certainly no expert on Freemasonry but to quote from Joy Jewelers:
- The symbol of the compass should be worn facing towards you only if you are a newer member because it shows you are taking the pledge to the tradition seriously.
- A more advanced or master member can turn their compass legs to face away from their body since they are a symbol of your commitment to outwardly reflect the fraternity.
I see many references to the orientation not being important but assuming the above it would imply Apone had not been a Mason for long.
I would say that given Apone appears to adheres to strict uniforms codes given the lack of graffiti on his armour and the press of his BDUs that the USCM don't have any regs prohibiting the wearing of Masonic jewelery much like our contemporary militaries.

Love stuff like this, look forward to others thoughts.

Darwinsgirl

Darwinsgirl

Quote from: Reluctant Jeri on Jul 14, 2021, 08:17:32 AM
Love stuff like this, look forward to others thoughts.

I too love when things surface that weren't commonly known about the ALIEN Franchise.

My first thought when you were describing the wearing of the ring compass legs out or towards the body. I immediately thought of the Claddage ring.

Does anyone know if this was mentioned in J.W. Rinzlers book on ALIENS?

City Hunter Yautja

Religious paraphernalia is all over the Alien and Predator films.

Shaw: Plain Christian Cross (Prometheus)

Rosenthal: Star of David (really the Star of Solomon), which actually is not just a Jewish symbol, it originated as a Egyptian Occult symbol the Jews got in the 4th and 5th centuries A.D.when in Egypt. (Alien Covenant)

Danny: Tribal Necklace (Predator 2)

The Necronoir

The Necronoir

Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 14, 2021, 04:25:24 PM

Rosenthal: Star of David (really the Star of Solomon), which actually is not just a Jewish symbol, it originated as a Egyptian Occult symbol the Jews got in the 4th and 5th centuries A.D.when in Egypt. (Alien Covenant)

Don't forget Billy's stone(?) pendant in Predator, and basically everyone/everything in Alien 3 (Assembly Cut even more so) aside from Ripley, Clemens, Andrews, and 85.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: The Necronoir on Jul 15, 2021, 03:46:09 PM
Quote from: City Hunter Yautja on Jul 14, 2021, 04:25:24 PM

Don't forget Billy's stone(?) pendant in Predator, and basically everyone/everything in Alien 3 (Assembly Cut even more so) aside from Ripley, Clemens, Andrews, and 85.

Good catch with Billy, and in Alien the symbol on the Weyland computer screen is the wings of Zorastrianism.

Reluctant Jeri

Reluctant Jeri

All great examples of cultural or spiritual colour that gives us that feel for the character.

Also we can include Vasquez's crucifix and her pachuco cross along with her other tattoos.

City Hunter Yautja

Quote from: Reluctant Jeri on Jul 15, 2021, 05:13:26 PM
All great examples of cultural or spiritual colour that gives us that feel for the character.

Also we can include Vasquez's crucifix and her pachuco cross along with her other tattoos.

Definitely! Good catch. 

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed