Thing/Alien crossover

Started by DoomRulz, Jan 31, 2012, 03:03:11 PM

Author
Thing/Alien crossover (Read 53,653 times)

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: The Runner on Feb 01, 2012, 01:20:15 AM
What if the thing assimilated a Xenomorph and somehow got connected to the Xenomorph hive mind?
That would make it even easier for the Thing-Alien to trick other Aliens and then start assimilating them, too.

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Feb 01, 2012, 01:26:04 AM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 01:16:41 AM
The Thing doesn't rip you apart like a cheesy bean and rice burrito then put you back together like puzzle. It absorbs you from the outside in. Adsorbing the Aliens exoskeleton (which is acid resistant) would be the 1st and only step needed to avoid/nullify the acid defense.

MacReady: "Check Mate."

I'll just wait for someone else to chime in on this one. Someone who understands the chemical background of acid and how it can be chemically copied by science but not by science fiction.

well tell us how a simple cell will penetrate an exoskeleton/endoskeleton?
i ain't a scientist but i really doubt a living biological cell can mesh, copy and replicate the concentrated acid of xenomorphs.
It wouldn't need to penetrate, it would only need to copy it. Cells are still cells, no matter if they happen to make up squishy fleshy bits or hard exoskeletons. On a small enough scale, the Thing's cellular makeup would allow it to duplicate and assimilate the Alien's endoskeleton.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

maybe, but the thing needs to fully assimilate a creature all in one, so while assimilating one part of it, it may get burnt by the acid in another part.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

The Thing doesn't rip you apart like a cheesy bean and rice burrito then put you back together like puzzle. It absorbs you from the outside in. Adsorbing the Aliens exoskeleton (which is acid resistant) would be the 1st and only step needed to avoid/nullify the acid defense.

I'll just wait for someone else to chime in on this one. Someone who understands the chemical background of acid and how it can be chemically copied by science but not by science fiction.

i ain't a scientist but i really doubt a living biological cell can mesh, copy and replicate the concentrated acid of xenomorphs.

A cell is a cell is a cell is a cell. Unless the exoskeleton is made of metal or another non living (non-cellular) material it would be another day on the job for The Thing. It would be as easy to copy a xeno as it would a ground squirrel. Only no one I know would pay money to read a comic or watch a movie about that.

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 01, 2012, 01:36:00 AM
It wouldn't need to penetrate, it would only need to copy it. Cells are still cells, no matter if they happen to make up squishy fleshy bits or hard exoskeletons. On a small enough scale, the Thing's cellular makeup would allow it to duplicate and assimilate the Alien's endoskeleton.

Pretty much this. And on a small enough scale, the acid too.

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Feb 01, 2012, 01:48:20 AM
maybe, but the thing needs to fully assimilate a creature all in one, so while assimilating one part of it, it may get burnt by the acid in another part.

If The Thing assimilates the acid proof outer shell of the Alien, how can it be burned? It's a prime example of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Or rather, a knife to an electricity fight.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 01:56:14 AM

A cell is a cell is a cell is a cell. Unless the exoskeleton is made of metal or another non living (non-cellular) material it would be another day on the job for The Thing. It would be as easy to copy a xeno as it would a ground squirrel. Only no one I know would pay money to read a comic or watch a movie about that.

If The Thing assimilates the acid proof outer shell of the Alien, how can it be burned? It's a prime example of bringing a knife to a gun fight.

Xenomorphs are sometimes described as bio-mechanical so it might not be all organic.
and again i say a thing cannot copy without assimilating first, they cannot just shapeshift into something, that have to either infect it or absorb it both which requires getting with the xenomorph and thus getting acid on it or a cell.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

But that's the thing, it wouldn't need to get splashed with acid. If it goes from the outside in, it'd get the exoskeleton first and then it's immune to the Alien's acid.

Nero the Jackal

Nero the Jackal

Quote from: Xenomrph on Feb 01, 2012, 02:03:35 AM
But that's the thing, it wouldn't need to get splashed with acid. If it goes from the outside in, it'd get the exoskeleton first and then it's immune to the Alien's acid.

No, not really, for the thing to be able to copy the host it would need to completely assimilate it, i'm not sure but i doubt the exoskeleton is the source of the immunity to acid.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: Nero the Jackal on Feb 01, 2012, 02:02:24 AM
Quote from: Bat Chain Puller on Feb 01, 2012, 01:56:14 AM

Xenomorphs are sometimes described as bio-mechanical so it might not be all organic.
and again i say a thing cannot copy without assimilating first, they cannot just shapeshift into something, that have to either infect it or absorb it both which requires getting with the xenomorph and thus getting acid on it or a cell.

I'm pretty sure one of the unseen life cycles of the all might xenomorph doesn't require it to check in with Skynet to be retrofit with the latest protective alloy gear.  ;) Seriously, the Alien is a living creature comprised of living cells just like a man, a dinosaur, a tarantula, or any other fictinal creature from any fan favorite films such as Star Wars, Predator, Godzilla. All of which would fall under the base rules of how The Thing operates.

f**k. The Thing could even copy a Jedi and use the f**king force.

The only thing The Thing would run into problems with, would be something made of non living tissue. Terminators come to mine. Particularly the early models before the flesh coverings.

At this point in the debate it just feels like we're trolling one another. The creatures can only do what they do given the limited reality in which they were written. I 'love' the Alien, Predator, Jedis, and Godzilla, 10 times more than the uncharismatic Thing. But I just cannot logically conclude that any of them could survive a full on outbreak of The Thing.

It's the Eagle versus the Worm scenario. 

chupacabras acheronsis

chupacabras acheronsis

but the xenomorph's exoskeleton isn't organic, right? they replace it with layers and layers of some sylicon compound, and according to the new movie, the Thing can't copy unorganic tissue.

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Feb 01, 2012, 02:59:25 AM
but the xenomorph's exoskeleton isn't organic, right? they replace it with layers and layers of some sylicon compound, and according to the new movie, the Thing can't copy unorganic tissue.

The polarized silicon of which you speak would be (I assume) some variation of regular silicon which is the eighth most common element in the universe. Nothing too fancy, and something I'm sure The Thing has dealt with in the unmeasurable amount of time it's bio mass has existed within the cosmos.

The protein polysaccharides and polarized silicon are still produced biologically (and only in the facehugger life cycle for sure) and there for are organic. Just as a spider's webbing is organic and a skunks musk is organic. Any byproduct of an organic entity would be organic as well, yes? Not necessarily living organic material, but nothing like a suit of armor.

Lets pretend that it (the alien adult) can produce a silicon shield akin to the facehugger. What's to stop The Thing from tearing through that (even on a molecular level) to the organic shell which covers the blood vessels (assuming they have them that is.) It would be the cellular equivalent of The Thing tearing through inorganic material (clothes, prosthetics, fillings) to get at the organic material in men.

chupacabras acheronsis

alright, so that rules out any resistance to active infection. what if the alien has a few drops of thing blood spray on it? do you think the Thing cells are strong enough to dig in on their own or would they die from exposition eventually?

Bat Chain Puller

Bat Chain Puller

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Feb 01, 2012, 04:18:11 AM
alright, so that rules out any resistance to active infection. what if the alien has a few drops of thing blood spray on it? do you think the Thing cells are strong enough to dig in on their own or would they die from exposition eventually?

I guess it depends on the environmental conditions and what 'form' The Thing was in before it commenced it's attack on the xenomorph. The Thing we witnessed in the 1980's  film and the reboot was a diluted fraction of it's former self. A wounded off shoot bio mass that was really struggling for survival. Extreme cold froze it, but it lived on. Extreme heat (fire) would stop it (neutralize it) but any remains not reduced to ash would 'regenerate.' 

The Alien also seemed to recoil from extreme temperatures. (Ripley's steam/compressed air attack on the lifeboat, Flame Thrower units the Marines used, and Wren's liquid nitrogen punishment blasts.) So they share similar weakness/resistances that each could not use against the other to any great effect.

For effect you must read the following sentence in Ian Malcom's voice.

Ahem. Yes. If ... The Thing's blood was to spray on ... on an adult Alien's Caprice, I'm sure unless the Alien was engulfed in, um, flames? or swimming in -in liquid nitrogen, the blood would ... would find a way.

The Thing from Another World

this is hard because i love both creatures original designs so much but, i feel The Thing would be able to replicate a xenomorphs outer layer if silicon, after all the creature must have some form of living cell. (im not entirely sureabout this but im almost positive there is no possible way a facehugger could infect The Thing. it would see the facehugger as a threat to it and each part would split apart as seen in John Carpenter's version) either way if done right this would be a epic battle of alien on alien proportion ;D

marrerom

marrerom

This would be a good match up. Each creature is immune to the other (impregnation vs assimilation) and it would come down to a tooth and claw fight.

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

But ultimately the Alien wouldn't be immune to assimilation, that's what we've been saying. :P

marrerom

marrerom

I don't see how the Thing could copy an Alien... if the Thing can't assimilate clothes, which is just organic compounds like wool and cloth, why would it somehow be able to copy polarized silicon? it wouldn't. Everything we've seen points to it needing a functional cell to assimilate and copy. Its best bet would be to tear through the Alien's outer shell to get to its innards but since the alien has acid blood that wouldn't work.

the Alien is truly immune. That's not to say that the Thing wouldn't most likely win in a fight though. i mean, its not like the Alien could just head bite it and walk away.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed