The Game's Development Story Discussion

Started by Salt The Fries, Feb 08, 2013, 08:18:47 PM

Author
The Game's Development Story Discussion (Read 99,938 times)

SpreadEagleBeagle

Quote from: chupacabras acheronsis on Feb 27, 2013, 02:32:29 PM
these are dark times

Indeed!

Corporate douchebaggery bullshit galore

Local Trouble

Quote from: YutaniDitch on Feb 27, 2013, 04:47:46 PM
Fox wouldn't be able to find a whore in a whorehouse, much less build their own game engine!
Or as Hudson might say:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcUWG23hqvw#ws

Inverse Effect

Inverse Effect

Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 26, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
An apology would blow my skirt up, and I would scurry back to the multiplayer with my belly full of butterflies, giggling like a little girl.

But seriously, hope it's true. It also means they can maybe bring back some of the players with patches, strong DLC, and a few good months support.

Wait, ... wait I think I'm insane. :laugh:

No, the DLC if anything will hurt the game more and split up the community to those who do not want the mappacks and those who have got them. Imagine that the game had 100 players. Then 50 buy the mappacks and 50 dont. You'll only be playing with 50 or so people when you buy the dlc. You dont make DLC or addons for a game that so few people play have/play to begin with.

Elicas

Quote from: Guts on Feb 28, 2013, 01:53:37 AM
Quote from: RagingDragon on Feb 26, 2013, 04:53:40 PM
An apology would blow my skirt up, and I would scurry back to the multiplayer with my belly full of butterflies, giggling like a little girl.

But seriously, hope it's true. It also means they can maybe bring back some of the players with patches, strong DLC, and a few good months support.

Wait, ... wait I think I'm insane. :laugh:

No, the DLC if anything will hurt the game more and split up the community to those who want the mappacks and those who have got them. Imagine that the game had 100 players. Then 50 buy the mappacks and 50 dont. You'll only be playing qith 50 or so people then if you buy the dlc. You dont make DLC or addons for a game that so few people play have/play to begin with.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=english

Very close to the truth. I can't see A:CM on the list any more, which means that today THERE WAS LESS THAN 500 PLAYERS WORLDWIDE ON PC FOR A:CM. Game might as well be dead, MP DLC makes 0 sense now, who is going to buy it? It might be a bit more popular on consoles, but I doubt it.

VonPelz

Quote from: Elicas on Feb 28, 2013, 02:01:48 AM
http://store.steampowered.com/stats/?l=english

Very close to the truth. I can't see A:CM on the list any more, which means that today THERE WAS LESS THAN 500 PLAYERS WORLDWIDE ON PC FOR A:CM. Game might as well be dead, MP DLC makes 0 sense now, who is going to buy it? It might be a bit more popular on consoles, but I doubt it.
http://steamgraph.net/index.php?action=graph&jstime=1&appid=49540&from=1360447200000&to=1362088800000

This graph also tells the same sad story. Peaks are now under 1000 players and the lows are around 300.  They probably go higher during the weekends but still, the average player count is in steady decline.

I'm still keeping my hopes up that DLC might give the game more enjoyable qualities, just gotta hope that GBX and Sega stick to the plan.

OpenMaw

There's just some things people don't want to accept, and I understand that. The DLC will not save this game. If you give your money to gearbox for the DLC, you're going to get more of the same. The core gameplay is broken. It requires a heavy duty overhaul, and they just aren't going to do that.

Ash 937

Quote from: VonPelz on Mar 01, 2013, 01:21:05 AM
I'm still keeping my hopes up that DLC might give the game more enjoyable qualities, just gotta hope that GBX and Sega stick to the plan.

The problem with this game is that neither GBX or Sega stuck to a plan.

Elicas

Quote from: Ash 937 on Mar 01, 2013, 06:17:54 AM
Quote from: VonPelz on Mar 01, 2013, 01:21:05 AM

The problem with this game is that neither GBX or Sega stuck to a plan.

The problem with this game, is that it was made.

RagingDragon

Lol core gameplay is far from "broken." What's broken is the design of the game in single-player. Multiplayer is well made and enjoyable, but they should've been rushing to fix and support this game from day 1.

After all of their bullshit, they should've seen this coming. I mean, even with the popularity of mp these days, and the longevity it can bring to games, A:CM was sold on the story, the atmosphere, and replaying something close to Aliens. Even though the mp component was strong, and still has quite a few players on consoles at least, they haven't been supporting it at all.

Their behavior, be it restricted by legal issues or whatever, has shown the community that they don't care enough to try and save the game when the time is right to try something like that. All it would've taken would be a simple "we are working hard on a patch, please bear with us" or something.

This is just embarrassing, and confirms what the angry community has said about a bait and switch.

YutaniDitch

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 01, 2013, 05:14:23 PM
Lol core gameplay is far from "broken." What's broken is the design of the game in single-player. Multiplayer is well made and enjoyable, but they should've been rushing to fix and support this game from day 1.

After all of their bullshit, they should've seen this coming. I mean, even with the popularity of mp these days, and the longevity it can bring to games, A:CM was sold on the story, the atmosphere, and replaying something close to Aliens. Even though the mp component was strong, and still has quite a few players on consoles at least, they haven't been supporting it at all.

Their behavior, be it restricted by legal issues or whatever, has shown the community that they don't care enough to try and save the game when the time is right to try something like that. All it would've taken would be a simple "we are working hard on a patch, please bear with us" or something.

This is just embarrassing, and confirms what the angry community has said about a bait and switch.

I'm having what Raging is having, please!  ;)

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: RagingDragon on Mar 01, 2013, 05:14:23 PM
I completely disagree with you there.

They have to release what DLC was promised because people prebought it, but I don't think it'll do any good.

Seeing this game fail and fall apart into a crazy conspiracy war over what happened during production is more fun than the actual game.

RagingDragon

Quote from: ikarop on Mar 04, 2013, 09:23:36 PM
http://www.polygon.com/2013/3/4/4063842/layoffs-hit-one-of-the-aliens-colonial-marines-development-studios
Finally something. I'm kind of hoping that things are so mum due to potential legal bs flying around, because Gearbox not even taking the opportunity to try and salvage their own game after such a shit show doesn't even make basic business sense.

By trying to support the game and acknowledging its problems, they both do something to repair their reputation and keep what players are left playing longer. They also show future business partners that they aren't in to flagrantly burning their entire customer base by spitting years worth of lies before releasing a crap product.

Let me call my lawyer and see if that's an advisable route to take... ::) no he wants me to keep my head buried in the ground until the reputation and future of my entire business have completely imploded.

Inverse Effect

Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 01, 2013, 03:30:23 AM
There's just some things people don't want to accept, and I understand that. The DLC will not save this game. If you give your money to gearbox for the DLC, you're going to get more of the same. The core gameplay is broken. It requires a heavy duty overhaul, and they just aren't going to do that.

You're wasting your money buying DLC for this game when in one more or two months time no one will be playing this game online for you to ultilize your paid DLC with. You're better off buying The orginal AVP for 5 bucks and playing with people on there.

CONKERSBADFURDAY

Quote from: Guts on Mar 04, 2013, 11:01:09 PM
Quote from: OpenMaw on Mar 01, 2013, 03:30:23 AM

You're wasting your money buying DLC for this game when in one more or two months time no one will be playing this game online for you to ultilize your paid DLC with. You're better off buying The orginal AVP for 5 bucks and playing with people on there.
What's the community like there, since that's easier than modding AvP2 and downloading all kinds of crazy stuff :P

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed