Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece]

Started by bendinglight, Feb 21, 2021, 05:43:58 AM

Author
Why the PREDATOR sequels get the face WRONG [Opinion Piece] (Read 30,873 times)

SiL

Quote from: The Necronoir on May 15, 2021, 04:38:08 PM
. So what's to stop them giving the original Stan Winston Studios costumes and props to someone like ADI or KNB and just saying "make this"?
The creature studios would technically own the pieces they make, but it depends on contracts.

When you're work for hire, the end output belongs to the person hiring you. But the materials you used to get there are still yours. The studio could have it that the props are handed over to them, but this never seems to be the case.

ADI reused molds for their Aliens to save time and money on the AvP movies, but it's not like they were forced by Fox to provide them for free

Yautja888

I don't remember clearly, but I believe KNB used the molds of the original predator.

SiL

If they did they did an awful job of it. But I really don't think that's the case.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 22, 2021, 08:18:41 AM
QuoteAnd Wolf with his mask on is just aces to me in my book, and Ian Whyte's performance as Wolf is my next favorite to Kevin Peter Hall's!

I'm going to bite my tongue on the design but yes, Whyte does a reasonable job.

So even with the mask on you were not a fan?

OmegaZilla

Quote from: Yautja888 on May 29, 2021, 03:37:30 PM
I don't remember clearly, but I believe KNB used the molds of the original predator.
not really no. Sculpted anew from the ground up. They did have Shannon Shea supervising however

Voodoo Magic

KNB Crucified Predator has some bad mandible skin but its head had great proportion. And it had a neck! And it had a regular sized mouth!

I really do wish KNB got another chance...

[cancerblack]

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 22, 2021, 11:54:19 AM
QuoteAnd Wolf with his mask on is just aces to me in my book, and Ian Whyte's performance as Wolf is my next favorite to Kevin Peter Hall's!

Nope, it leaves me cold. Especially the wide "jaw flanges". Although likely I'd be okay with it if the rest of the gear that went with it was an iconic suit of armour instead of random bits of metal and strapping.

Voodoo Magic

[
Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 22, 2021, 07:41:19 PM
Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Oct 22, 2021, 11:54:19 AM

Nope, it leaves me cold. Especially the wide "jaw flanges". Although likely I'd be okay with it if the rest of the gear that went with it was an iconic suit of armour instead of random bits of metal and strapping.

Hmm...

I still do like the masked Wolf, but come to think of it, yeah those jaw flanges (if that's the correct term) are pretty wide. And the rest of accessories do feel a bit more form over function. That's fair.

Spoiler

[close]

[cancerblack]

That reminds me actually, the Hive set in AvPR is f**king gorgeous and criminally under-utilized.

SiL

Literally so dark you can't see it in some shots. The main hallway set was ace though.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: [cancerblack] on Oct 23, 2021, 02:27:58 AM
That reminds me actually, the Hive set in AvPR is f**king gorgeous and criminally under-utilized.

For sure. I'm still hoping AvPR gets a new corrected 4K transfer one day, and the Hive is definitely one of the reasons!

BlueMarsalis79

I doubt the negative even exists.

SiL

It was shot on 35mm with a 4K intermediate. Pretty sure the 4K already exists, technically.

BlueMarsalis79

I mean I'd be surprised if anyone actually kept it.

Voodoo Magic

The 4K negative of AvPR lies on top a velvet pillow in the 20th Century film vault.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed