Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game

Started by Corporal Hicks, Apr 26, 2019, 05:35:38 PM

Author
Free League Publishing Announce Alien: The Roleplaying Game (Read 161,823 times)

SM

Had a bit of a read.  Idiocy about WY co-financing the USCM on the first page.  And doesn't seem to have any acknowledgement to Leigh Brimmicombe Wood whatsoever.

Xenomrph

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2021, 10:22:27 AM
Had a bit of a read.  Idiocy about WY co-financing the USCM on the first page.  And doesn't seem to have any acknowledgement to Leigh Brimmicombe Wood whatsoever.
*Lee

Bounced it off Gaska, he said Lee is acknowledged in the final print version of the book.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 15, 2021, 10:22:27 AM
Idiocy about WY co-financing the USCM on the first page.

Oof.  That's awful.

BlueMarsalis79

Can I get an exact quotation?

[cancerblack]

Was that not the case in some other things? I'm sure I remember a story where WY had to effectively bail out the military and them ending up as glorified PMCs?

Local Trouble

BlueMarsalis79

AVP 2010 implies such a relationship.

SM

Quote from: [cancerblack] on May 15, 2021, 11:19:59 PM
Was that not the case in some other things? I'm sure I remember a story where WY had to effectively bail out the military and them ending up as glorified PMCs?

It was the case in The Rage War books (set in the 27th century).

This, along with WY financing the ICC, is lazy, creatively dull, and has no basis in the source material.

Certain individuals trying to exert influence over the USCM via unofficial means is more interesting and fits with the existing material.

Especially since there were a couple of stories in the works featuring Olivia Shipp that would've explored the USCM and WY being too cozy and how she was instrumental in that changing and making the USCM more independent.  Which I think it alluded to in the first issue of the new comics.

Xenomrph

If the material is set in the future from 'Aliens', "times change" is a pretty valid explanation for things changing. Using "the year 2010" as "source material", the current US political climate seems pretty outlandish and unrealistic, and yet here we are.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Xenomrph on May 16, 2021, 02:40:14 AMIf the material is set in the future from 'Aliens', "times change" is a pretty valid explanation for things changing. Using "the year 2010" as "source material", the current US political climate seems pretty outlandish and unrealistic, and yet here we are.

So anything goes?  Like turning the Alien into the creation of some crazy android, say?

Xenomrph

Xenomrph

Quote from: Local Trouble on May 16, 2021, 02:49:51 AM
Quote from: Xenomrph on May 16, 2021, 02:40:14 AMIf the material is set in the future from 'Aliens', "times change" is a pretty valid explanation for things changing. Using "the year 2010" as "source material", the current US political climate seems pretty outlandish and unrealistic, and yet here we are.

So anything goes?  Like turning the Alien into the creation of some crazy android, say?
No one said anything about *liking* the changes. I'm not particularly thrilled with the idea either, although I can understand it and I'm ultimately okay with it. The point is that "the source material" isn't entirely relevant when the story is set chronologically after it. People are going to have different thresholds of what changes are "too much" (such as people who don't like 'Aliens' when compared to the first movie - one could argue that the military action movie romp seen in the second movie is lazy, creatively dull, and has no basis in 'Alien'), but citing "the source material" as if it's some objective truth that can't be interpreted in different ways is pretty lazy and creatively bankrupt.

Also that's not in the future from the standpoint of "the source material", that's a retcon to the past. Nice try, though. ;)

That said, you're still making a tangentially salient point.

BlueMarsalis79

Bought out by Walmart.

Kradan

Quote from: SM on May 16, 2021, 02:17:21 AM

This, along with WY financing the ICC, is lazy, creatively dull, and has no basis in the source material.

Certain individuals trying to exert influence over the USCM via unofficial means is more interesting and fits with the existing material.

Especially since there were a couple of stories in the works featuring Olivia Shipp that would've explored the USCM and WY being too cozy and how she was instrumental in that changing and making the USCM more independent.  Which I think it alluded to in the first issue of the new comics.

I'm OK with WY controlling USCM in Rage War trilogy 'cause it's set so far in the future from original 4 movies that it doesn't really affect anything established before

Xenomrph

Quote from: Kradan on May 16, 2021, 05:40:36 PM
it doesn't really affect anything established before
This guy gets it.

SM

Quote from: Kradan on May 16, 2021, 05:40:36 PM
Quote from: SM on May 16, 2021, 02:17:21 AM

I'm OK with WY controlling USCM in Rage War trilogy 'cause it's set so far in the future from original 4 movies that it doesn't really affect anything established before

I don't have a problem with it either that far in the future.  It's when they try to crowbar this shit in where it doesn't belong AND is really unnecessary.  There is no reason for this rubbish to be in there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed