Two ALIEN TV Shows in the works (Rumour)

Started by Gazz, Feb 13, 2019, 11:17:16 PM

Author
Two ALIEN TV Shows in the works (Rumour) (Read 49,231 times)

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 12:34:17 PM
Quote from: PM Johnson on Sep 26, 2020, 11:56:48 PM
Yeah, this exists. It is called Bladerunner

I don't seem to recall any Aliens in Blade Runner.

Of course you don't recall any Aliens in Blade Runner  ;)

Quote from: Drukathi on Sep 26, 2020, 09:36:23 AM
Better is a series about explorers, other worlds and ancient civilizations. With scientists and adventurers in the lead roles. No boring family relationships, personal experiences and etc. Alien is not like Star Trek? OK bro, don't be nervous, calm down. Do it like Star Gate!

I llike the ancient trope as one of the many elements featured in a story, ala Rised by Wolves, but not as the whole thing.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Immortan Jonesy on Sep 27, 2020, 01:19:34 PM

Of course you don't recall any Aliens in Blade Runner  ;)

Cake, however. That I do have very fond memories of.

Spoiler

[close]

Stitch

I think this was meant as a response to the TV show pitch of what happens if you have an Alien style universe but without the aliens. Megacorporations, robots who want to be human... Yup, sounds like Blade Runner.

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: Stitch on Sep 27, 2020, 08:14:04 PM

I think this was meant as a response to the TV show pitch of what happens if you have an Alien style universe but without the aliens. Megacorporations, robots who want to be human... Yup, sounds like Blade Runner.

But nothing Hawley's statement mentioned anything about the show not having Aliens.

His exact quote was as follows: "As I did with Legion, the exercise is: Let's take the superhero stuff out of the show and see if it's still a great show. What's the show about? Let's take the Alien out of the show. What's the show about? What are the themes, who are the characters and what is the human drama? Then we drop the aliens back in and we go, 'This is great. Not only is there great human drama, but there's aliens!'"

The "Let's take the Alien out of the show" bit isn't at all him saying that there won't be Aliens; it is just step one in his creative process of figuring out the characters and and the narrative and making sure that they're interesting even when the Aliens aren't on screen.

SM

But reading a whole paragraph is difficult.

Local Trouble

You should be rereading DOTS anyway.

SM

Ah yes.  I must remind my book club.

Chris!(($$))!

Chris!(($$))!

I loved Legion. Also loved Fargo (I guess he worked on that show too) and I'm sure he could do a decent ALIEN mini series.

I don't know why people are taking that quote out of context. He very clearly says he would figure out the characters on their own merit to make them compelling and THEN throw the Xenos into the mix to dial that shit up to 11.

And I think Hawley totally has the right idea. Capitalism plus the greed, vanity, and power hunger of humanity could definitely be pulled out of the films, including Prometheus and Covenant. Thats a strong theme to work with.

Space explorers, ancient alien space archeologists/scientists, etc. Those aren't themes. Those are plot points and backdrop setups. BUT they could absolutely work with the themes of corporate capitalism and the expendability of humanity in the pursuit of wealth, power, technology all of which could culminate with discovering a Xenomorph which would represent a remarkable vessel that literally represents the pinnacle of science, violence, biological weaponry. The Xenos literally cannot thrive without destroying another species much like corporations are recklessly harming the world.

IMO the show could focus on a corporation, perhaps a subsidiary of Weyland Yutani or a rival that has also discovered a Xenomorph and the pursuit of the Xenomorph ends up being their undoing. It results in the destruction and death of their off-world colonies.

I'm thinking The Terror meets The Expanse.

Stitch

Quote from: Nightmare Asylum on Sep 27, 2020, 08:18:56 PM
Quote from: Stitch on Sep 27, 2020, 08:14:04 PM

But nothing Hawley's statement mentioned anything about the show not having Aliens.

His exact quote was as follows: "As I did with Legion, the exercise is: Let's take the superhero stuff out of the show and see if it's still a great show. What's the show about? Let's take the Alien out of the show. What's the show about? What are the themes, who are the characters and what is the human drama? Then we drop the aliens back in and we go, 'This is great. Not only is there great human drama, but there's aliens!'"

The "Let's take the Alien out of the show" bit isn't at all him saying that there won't be Aliens; it is just step one in his creative process of figuring out the characters and and the narrative and making sure that they're interesting even when the Aliens aren't on screen.
I get that. Just trying to interpret the comment. I must admit, though, I thought Hawley's comments implied a show where the alien wouldn't appear that often.

Corporal Hicks

You would have to hold them back a bit, naturally, but that's why it would be important that there's a good strong backbone there without the XTs themselves. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that mentality, and I think it's important. It's important that there being strong characters, and strong stories without the Aliens themselves on all the time.

SiL

The worrying line for me was 2 hours of action over a ten hour series.

If only because that can so easily turn into 8 episodes of character drama with 2 hours of Alien-related content right in the last two episodes.

T Dog

I wrote my pitch for Alien V in the Walter Hill thread. Here's some ideas I had for a tv show:

"Weyland/Yutani"

Set during the time of the merger between the 2 companies. Tone: 80's corporate douche bags trying to sell each other out Robocop/Burke style, corporate esponiage, weapon divisions/androids.

Leads: a character based on Machinko Noguchi on the Yutani side. Starts the series as a cold, corporate suit, ends being one of the heroes.

On the Weyland side we have Charlize Theron returning as Vickers. She sent a highly advanced, prohibitively expensive to mass produce android replica of herself on the Prometheus mission. She is running the company and must reluctantly merge with Yutani for survival.

Plot/Story wise: I got nothing!

son_of_kane

A corporate espionage type show with the xenos appearing sporadically might be interesting. Then again, it may also be well written with fleshed out characters but pretty dull overall. But I'd be willing to give it a shot  8)

Drukathi

Drukathi

I feel like it goes further and further away from the original ideas of O'Bannon and Shusett. Not that this is bad in itself, but it is less and less relevant to the Alien Universe. A kind of procrastination. Not developing or deepening the franchise.

The show about Colonial Marines will be better. Even without aliens, but with other situations, monsters, military conflicts. Anything would be better than a shitshow about the corporation. Even androids for next ten films.

HuDaFuK

The Marines have nothing to do with the original ideas of O'Bannon and Shusett either. They're entirely a construct of Hill, Giler and Cameron.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed