Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,922 times)

Still Collating...

Oh, I do agree that it's been getting better and more accurate as the time goes on. Maybe what I'd like to see is just more use of their equipment, vehicles, real strategies and stuff. There does come a point, especially in open areas where I do ask why are they just using another small group of marines with basic equipment instead of a vehicle/infantry combo. Pulse rifles and smartguns are always gonna be cool, but there are other weapons.

HuDaFuK

I've always said I'd really like to see a straight up war story featuring the Marines fighting human opponents sans Alien. Gritty and realistic in the vein of Private Ryan/Band of Brothers.

I was hoping at least one story in Bug Hunt would go down that avenue, but alas they didn't.

SM

Not sure there'd be much of a point when there's a million existing war stories with soldiers.

Like Private Ryan or Band of Brothers.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: HuDaFuK on Sep 09, 2019, 10:19:52 AM
I've always said I'd really like to see a straight up war story featuring the Marines fighting human opponents sans Alien. Gritty and realistic in the vein of Private Ryan/Band of Brothers.

I was hoping at least one story in Bug Hunt would go down that avenue, but alas they didn't.

I've been thinking this for a while, and it isn't a story that would have to be terribly long when you think about it. I was also hoping Bug Hunt featured the marines from Aliens but during a regular combat mission.

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2019, 12:15:57 PM
Not sure there'd be much of a point when there's a million existing war stories with soldiers.

Well, by that logic maybe people should stop making stories all together?
There is a group of people out there who do like stories like this, however niche it may be.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2019, 12:15:57 PMNot sure there'd be much of a point when there's a million existing war stories with soldiers.

The point would be giving Aliens/USCM nerds their fix.

I'm under no illusions, it'll almost certainly never happen, but that doesn't stop it being something I'd like to see.

Kimarhi

SM

QuoteWell, by that logic maybe people should stop making stories all together?

Yeah that's exactly what the "logic" is.  You nailed it.  :laugh:

What sets Aliens apart is the fact the marines are shooting at Aliens.  Having Saving Private Ryan with space marines means we're seeing the same story - but with space marines.  You need Aliens in the story - Xenomorphs or something else - or you might as well be watching a contemporary Earthbound war story.

JokersWarPig

Quote from: SM on Sep 09, 2019, 08:28:01 PM
QuoteWell, by that logic maybe people should stop making stories all together?

Yeah that's exactly what the "logic" is.  You nailed it.  :laugh:

What sets Aliens apart is the fact the marines are shooting at Aliens.  Having Saving Private Ryan with space marines means we're seeing the same story - but with space marines.  You need Aliens in the story - Xenomorphs or something else - or you might as well be watching a contemporary Earthbound war story.

I disagree, you don't need a hostile alien, xenomorph or otherwise, to make a good story featuring the USCM.

Kimarhi

You don't need the CM at all.  You just need the Army.

Nameless_1

Cancel Culture at it's finest, getting a company to fire a guy without even having to provide evidence first.

SM

But marines are popular.  And if you're going to have Colonial Marines - or the army for arguments sake - fighting other people in the Aliens universe - why bother?  Just make up some new IP.

Local Trouble

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 09, 2019, 11:06:00 PM
You don't need the CM at all.  You just need the Army.

I want to see a riveting drama about them digging latrines and fighting boredom.

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2019, 12:05:51 AM
But marines are popular.  And if you're going to have Colonial Marines - or the army for arguments sake - fighting other people in the Aliens universe - why bother?  Just make up some new IP.

You mean like Prometheus, Alien & AVP, which are supposed to be three different IPs?

SM

Nah something completely unrelated to Alien.

Immortan Jonesy

Immortan Jonesy

Quote from: SM on Sep 10, 2019, 01:38:30 AM
Nah something completely unrelated to Alien.

But despite the absence of the Alien, Prometheus is a movie that has Weyland, the Space Jockeys, the androids of the franchise and the star system zeta reticuli. Why isn't a CM-centric movie a good idea? or why it has to be a completely separate thing ???

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed