Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat!

Started by Corporal Hicks, Jun 13, 2019, 02:32:05 PM

Author
Dark Horse Comics Announces Aliens: Colonial Marines: Rising Threat! (Read 60,986 times)

SM

I'm pleasantly surprised that in this case everyone isn't desperate to prop up this idea that we live in a PC-gone-mad ESS JAAY DUBBAYOO dystopia.

Naginata

^ Yeah, me too; that part was dumb wording on my part. Mea culpa.

Gave me an excuse to type "ESS JAAY DUBBAYOO" though, so it's not all bad.

SM

Nostromo

JAAY DUBBAYOO dystopia

Naginata

OK, for realz, y'all - if 'ESS JAAY DUBBAYOO' becomes a thing, I will be SO HAPPY!  :laugh:

magical_boy

If the guy admitted to this type of behaviour a while ago, seems to be a rather late termination

Engineer

Quote from: magical_boy on Sep 04, 2019, 12:41:46 AM
If the guy admitted to this type of behaviour a while ago, seems to be a rather late termination

They probably gave him a second chance, with certain restrictions in place. Hard to say for a "work for hire" job. But with my employer, first offense (assuming it's minor) is to retake the sexual harassment training and possibly be demoted. After that, it's termination. Of course, if it's a severe enough case they can opt to terminate right away.

Kimarhi

We had a dude get in pretty big trouble with it.  Somehow even though everyone in our company knows what he did, nobody outside seems to know because they were able to settle out of court.

His continued hire is perfect example that if you bring in money to a company and they can't replace you, you can get away with anything.  The dude racks up between 10m and 15m a year in sales.  I will say that the dude hasnt got in anymore trouble since then though and that was close to a decade ago. 

Nightmare Asylum

Quote from: magical_boy on Sep 04, 2019, 12:41:46 AM

Which unfortunately happens all too often. Look at the big open secret that was Harvey Weinstein.

JokersWarPig

So I get that they needed to get rid of this guy and it should have been done well before this. I don't really understand cancelling the comic though when (as far as we know) no work has been done on it yet. Why not just get a different writer to take over?

SuperiorIronman

In my experience when comics get cancelled due to sexual predators and harassment, it's to avoid bad press from the products mere existence. Basically companies would want to wash their hands of this in the quickest and easiest way possible. Both Marvel and DC have done this. Disavowing the creator and it's work even if you can still pick it up (if completed) on Amazon.

Darkhorse being a smaller company and promoting a niche product whose work might not be fully completed if ever started stands to loose nothing if they just can it and move on. Gets the good press and we can start over with something less gross.

molasar

Quote from: JokersWarPig on Sep 04, 2019, 01:41:57 PM
So I get that they needed to get rid of this guy and it should have been done well before this. I don't really understand cancelling the comic though when (as far as we know) no work has been done on it yet. Why not just get a different writer to take over?
If I were them, I would just rename it and get a different writer, so his name is not associated with the project anymore.

Anyway, if they care about the company's reputation so much, they should cancel all other his comics (including "Rescue") and stop selling already published ones.

Wweyland

Quote from: molasar on Sep 04, 2019, 02:19:36 PM
If I were them, I would just rename it and get a different writer, so his name is not associated with the project anymore.

Anyway, if they care about the company's reputation so much, they should cancel all other his comics (including "Rescue") and stop selling already published ones.
But they have a substantial dollar value attached to them.

Engineer

Quote from: molasar on Sep 04, 2019, 02:19:36 PM

For rescue, there's other things to consider. Rescue is probably complete. The still have to pay the other hands involved like the artists and printers, etc... they probably decided to let rescue slide because the financial loss would have been higher to cancel it now.

Rising threat, the damage was still there, but lesser so. I know the cover arts were completed for a few issues, and the writing was at least in progress. Still going to be a financial loss, but not as significant.

molasar

Where I wrote 'If I were them', I meant if they want to go completely a 'virtue signalling' way.

It is either a business or virtue signalling. If it is not in their company's policy, let proper authorities deal with it and do not start new projects with somebody who cannot finish them for various reasons.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed