Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2016, 08:05:41 PM

Author
Comics Update - Aliens: Defiance, Prometheus/Predator: Life and Death (Read 77,337 times)

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Apr 14, 2016, 02:35:32 PMI for one think it belongs in an official timeline.

God no. "The Big Deletion" is unbelievably stupid.

426Buddy

426Buddy

I agree, smells of a last ditch effort to try and keep everything in continuity. Something darkhorse never seems to understand is that no matter what EU they create, the film makers will wipe it away on a whim.

Besides its too convenient that perez and the scientists know all about the aliens and the history of weyland yutani  since alien3 and what Ripley went through. But everything else is lost? Nah

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 14, 2016, 02:00:22 PM
There was a Jockey skull in the trophy room at the start of the film. It's hard to see. I'll try and find a picture.

Lol nice, I guess Ahab isnt the first, although maybe the first to get the skull and not the helmet lol j./k ;)

happypred

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Apr 14, 2016, 11:44:28 AM
Quote from: happypred on Apr 14, 2016, 09:38:15 AM
Ahab's appearance has not been confirmed, right?

No. But with...

Spoiler
Them heading to LV-223, Ahab probably hasn't left the moon.
[close]

That would be great . . . hope Ahab isn't entirely decrepit

Ultramorph

This also gives me some small hope that
Spoiler
they'll finally make sense of the living mountain.
[close]

LordCassusSnow

I think we can all agree there are already some unbelievably stupid things that have happened in the movies. Prometheus for example. The big deletion fits perfectly in that universe alongside ideas like predators teaming up and becoming best buds with humans in a franchise where they hunt them for sport.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Apr 14, 2016, 03:44:17 PMThe big deletion fits perfectly in that universe alongside ideas like predators teaming up and becoming best buds with humans in a franchise where they hunt them for sport.

No. The Big Deletion is a strong contender for the dumbest thing to ever come out of the franchise.

Like 420Buddy says, it doesn't even make any sense on it's own terms, because the USM still know all about what went on with Ripley... but none of the other hundreds of Alien encounters that happened in the interim. Including all of Earth being taken over.

LordCassusSnow

You seriously count xenos taking over earth as still being canon? Theres just so much wrong with that.  Then again fox only counts the movies(not avp?) and current comics and novelization to be canon so any argument on the matter of whats more stupid than the other is really pointless when it comes to anything not branded as canon by fox. All we as fans can do is decide for ourselves and live happily in our own universe's in the end.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Apr 14, 2016, 04:23:41 PMYou seriously count xenos taking over earth as still being canon?

Not at all. But the comics do, and it's the comics that came up with the Big Deletion to try and explain away how no one in the films remembers that happening.

Xenoegg

i don't think the old comics are still considert canon. they started fresh just like star wars did it.  ;)

426Buddy

426Buddy

They did starting with fire and stone, the comics we are talking about "Civilized Beasts" which started the  idea of the big deletion, this was before the reboot when earths infestation was still apart of the EU.

happypred

Civilized Beasts

426Buddy

LordCassusSnow

The comics where Aliens took over earth or were even mentioned taking it over were considered non canon as soon as Alien 3 made its debut. The rewrites were considered non canon after Resurrection and especially after Prometheus. Prometheus taking away the Alien homeworld and making the pilot race into engineers. Now my Alien/Predator comic box is set up to be canon friendly, so to speak, with the Alien and Predator cinematic universe. Anything Predator takes place from the past to now. Predator featuring Dutch's brother doesn't fit as its never mentioned in later movies. Something like Aliens Earth Angel fits because its an isolated incident that wasnt documented by anyone. Aliens vs Predator set on Ryushi fits before Aliens as it ends without anyone even bothering to really investigate the incident. Same with Avp Duel which can be set almost immediately after Alien 3 AND of which legitimises quotes from the Colonial Marines Technical Manual. With that in mind, "the company" was pretty much forced by Colonial admins and the military alike to forewarn its colonies of the XT threat. Only higher up's having the facts leaving regular joe's passing along rumors. Lets not forget also about company cover ups such as Aliens Berserker. After Avp War, which brings Predators into the spotlight, We get the Fire and stone series which also isnt documented by anyone. Counting the big deletion as canon fortifies the fact that the military barely knew what xeno's were and where to find them. With Predator Incursions inclusion of another research vessel experimenting with xeno's a few years before Resurrection, i'd say its a solid fact General Perez was one of possibly a few army stooges with orders to investigate rumors of past xeno incidents and collect specimens if found. Perez getting lucky and finding Ripleys tissue samples on Fury. In short, if the incident isnt well documented or can be considered a cover up, it fits perfectly before Resurrection. Now, as Incursion states, Xenos and Predators are well known in the new farther future so anything where people mentioned Aliens as if the whole of humanity already knew fits perfectly in that timeline. Questions? Problems?

Randomizer

Just finished the 2nd issue of Life and Death. Contrary to the first issue, this one felt balanced in both action and universe construction, if that's what you'd call it.

The single problem I have now is that the artwork seems to go downhill, but that might be just me acquiring some new tastes.

426Buddy

426Buddy

Quote from: LordCassusSnow on Apr 15, 2016, 04:13:04 PM
The comics where Aliens took over earth or were even mentioned taking it over were considered non canon as soon as Alien 3 made its debut. The rewrites were considered non canon after Resurrection and especially after Prometheus. Prometheus taking away the Alien homeworld and making the pilot race into engineers. Now my Alien/Predator comic box is set up to be canon friendly, so to speak, with the Alien and Predator cinematic universe. Anything Predator takes place from the past to now. Predator featuring Dutch's brother doesn't fit as its never mentioned in later movies. Something like Aliens Earth Angel fits because its an isolated incident that wasnt documented by anyone. Aliens vs Predator set on Ryushi fits before Aliens as it ends without anyone even bothering to really investigate the incident. Same with Avp Duel which can be set almost immediately after Alien 3 AND of which legitimises quotes from the Colonial Marines Technical Manual. With that in mind, "the company" was pretty much forced by Colonial admins and the military alike to forewarn its colonies of the XT threat. Only higher up's having the facts leaving regular joe's passing along rumors. Lets not forget also about company cover ups such as Aliens Berserker. After Avp War, which brings Predators into the spotlight, We get the Fire and stone series which also isnt documented by anyone. Counting the big deletion as canon fortifies the fact that the military barely knew what xeno's were and where to find them. With Predator Incursions inclusion of another research vessel experimenting with xeno's a few years before Resurrection, i'd say its a solid fact General Perez was one of possibly a few army stooges with orders to investigate rumors of past xeno incidents and collect specimens if found. Perez getting lucky and finding Ripleys tissue samples on Fury. In short, if the incident isnt well documented or can be considered a cover up, it fits perfectly before Resurrection. Now, as Incursion states, Xenos and Predators are well known in the new farther future so anything where people mentioned Aliens as if the whole of humanity already knew fits perfectly in that timeline. Questions? Problems?

Lots of problems, but i'll just point out that Dark Horse was still considering the infestation of earth canon to the EU as late as 2009, when Aliens:More than Human was released, which specifically references earths infestation.

I guess for all the rest I think we'll just have to agree to disagree  :)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed