AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 14, 2016, 09:14:01 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42 (Read 35,907 times)

Lonely Universe

Quote from: Himmelblau on Nov 16, 2016, 05:58:49 PM
Well you know what they say..

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. :laugh:

[emoji848] This an awful saying & not true at all. Heartbreak is way worse than being in love is good, that's why people suicide over it. Love is also shit, because it makes people act insane.

Okay sry sry, back on topic :p

Enoch

And whats not shit in your vision of life and world? :-* :o

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: Lonely Universe on Nov 16, 2016, 06:37:59 PM
Quote from: Himmelblau on Nov 16, 2016, 05:58:49 PM
Well you know what they say..

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. :laugh:

[emoji848] This an awful saying & not true at all. Heartbreak is way worse than being in love is good, that's why people suicide over it. Love is also shit, because it makes people act insane.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aisz-6iIxNw 

DorkiDori

Quote from: emoji848This an awful saying & not true at all. Heartbreak is way worse than being in love is good, that's why people suicide over it. Love is also shit, because it makes people act insane.

Love and heartbreak are amazing motivators that help some of us create amazing works of art. Hell, my album I just released wouldnt be in existence if it werent for both of those things!!!

Artists thrive on being able to visit the depths of human emotion that most people rarely ever touch or care to go back to! Its what helps some of the most creative people on the planet create what they do!

I know for a fact that even Mr Scott has delved into some of the darkest human emotions hes experienced in life (including love and loss) to give him the inspiration to create what he has.

Stolen

Otherwise Wayne didn't say anything about the horror/violence of the film? R Rated?

DorkiDori

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 16, 2016, 05:23:27 PM
I have a feeling that Ridley is done with the biomechanical look, aside from maybe a big chap appearance, if he does indeed show up that is.

Or if he shows up as a Alien: Resurrection style "big chap".

But yeah, there's been zero indication so far of any biomechanical stylizing. Would love to be proved wrong but it's probably pointless clutching at straws.
A shame really because that "biomechanical look" is what really defined Alien for me.

Enoch

Well that biomechanical look was on screen only for few minute...

426Buddy

Quote from: Enoch on Nov 16, 2016, 10:42:56 PM
Well that biomechanical look was on screen only for few minute...

Gigers biomechanical design elements in alien defined the whole movie, arguably the whole franchise. The movie would not be nearly as effective without it.

The derelict and its pilot were so mysterious, inexplicable, and eldritch. Unlike anything I've ever seen, its so powerful it still continues to create a sense of dread and wonder even 37 years later.

All that with only a few minutes of screen time.

NickisSmart

Great podcast. The part about the camera not working killed me. Was hoping for more stories about one-on-one's with Ridley but he's a busy guy with a schedule to keep and all that.

Shame I don't really know much about Moebius. The chap you interviewed said he could pick up a lot on the smaller, more subtle references or nods, but perhaps not a more casual viewer, especially someone who only knows the artist by name.

He mentioned putting one epic visual thing in the film, somewhere, and hopes it makes it into the theatrical cut. I wonder what that was...

SamuelDL

That they use Giger's art in the clapper, gives me hope:

Necronomicon II

No straw clutching here, just seeking clarification. I remember when Ridley denied there being a xeno in Prometheus, and yet we still got a chest-bursting deacon; something like a xeno. If Wayne says there's something that is similar to a Giger-esque landscape it could still look amazing and interesting, depends on the execution. A mix of Bocklin with just a pinch of Giger would still be totally original.

DorkiDori

DorkiDori

I get the feeling that the leaked images weve seen are just a small glimpse into an over all larger picture... that larger picture may include a lot more Gigeresque imagery and biomechanoids. Personally I really dig the "creatures" David has created and tinkered with. It has a really disturbing feel knowing that hes been playing "god" and creating such unnatural things!

Some people were comparing this to Ripley8 and the clones in Alien:Res, I feel this is far more sinister and disturbing than any "clone" we saw in A:R. Personally I thought the clones in A:R were a super cheezeball idea when I first saw the movie back in 97/98. We have no idea where Davids getting his biological sample materials from (harvesting Shaw? or possibly captive Engineer?). Hes obviously harvesting biological samples from (what looks like) native Facehuggers (they look a lot more "purebred" than anything weve seen in Aliens). What if THESE Facehuggers create something different? What it they are simply a carrying mechanism for any sort of biological entity?

AHHHHHHHHHH SO MANY AMAZING IDEAS!!!!!!!!!!! lol

But yeah, the small glimpse of the world weve seen could be so much more underneath it all! Were being deliberately left in the dark here! I think there may be quite a few really awesome surprises instore for us all in Alien: Covenant!

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: NickisSmart on Nov 16, 2016, 11:01:28 PM
Great podcast. The part about the camera not working killed me. Was hoping for more stories about one-on-one's with Ridley but he's a busy guy with a schedule to keep and all that.

It really surprised me how Ridley wasn't so hands-on with the visuals this time around. I wonder how much of the pre-designed elements by the Prometheus artists were hangovers from Prometheus or if he was actively working with them after Prometheus came out?

QuoteHe mentioned putting one epic visual thing in the film, somewhere, and hopes it makes it into the theatrical cut. I wonder what that was...

We'll make sure to ask him after the film comes out!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 17, 2016, 08:56:12 AM
It really surprised me how Ridley wasn't so hands-on with the visuals this time around. I wonder how much of the pre-designed elements by the Prometheus artists were hangovers from Prometheus or if he was actively working with them after Prometheus came out?

Well, Wayne mentioned that a lot of the design work was already done by the time he came on-board in early November. I think he said he didn't really have to invent stuff from scratch? It was just taking existing concept art or 3D models and then expanding on it or modifying it. Didn't he say that Steven Messing (American artist) had also done a lot of concept art for Covenant before he came on? I know Messing was already doing concept art for Prometheus while Spaiths was still busy with his earlier direct-Alien-prequel drafts. Could have been the same for Prometheus II/Paradise Lost/Covenant.

Obviously the stuff like the juggernaut interior and exteriors were already done in Prometheus and were probably just recycled for Covenant but I think a ton of new stuff would have needed to be conceptualized as well.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed