AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42

Started by Corporal Hicks, Nov 14, 2016, 09:14:01 AM

Author
AvPGalaxy Interviews Wayne Haag, Alien: Covenant Concept Artist - AvPGalaxy Podcast #42 (Read 35,903 times)

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 16, 2016, 03:44:27 PM
Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 16, 2016, 05:37:51 AM
Corporal - When you were discussing wanting to see a Giger-planet with him, doesnt he mention that there is 'something like' a Giger landscape in this film?

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Nov 16, 2016, 12:36:49 PM
Doesn't he say that there'll be "something like" a Giger landscape? I'm drooling at the thought.

http://m5.i.pbase.com/o3/10/634010/1/87651635.ExdwAP6i.DSC06554_s.jpg

TBH I'm actually hoping we don't see much of that here. I was getting the impression we would be seeing something like a mix between a prehistoric jungle and Brocklin's paintings - sorta the world of the Engineers separate from the introduction of the Giger stuff. Which would maybe place the Giger/Goo stuff in a position of being the corruption of that. Which is kinda great to me. As much as Id like to see a Giger Planet someday. But I do think he quickly says "There is something like that in this film but..."

Nostromo

This Jungle setting might not work out so well....need more Space Stations or Spaceship settings.

Corporal Hicks

I think what we're going to be seeing are massive trees and lots of the rocky kind of Engineer architecture. Probably the one Giger-esque kind of stuff we'll see will be the Juggernaut from Prometheus. That was the impression I got, anyway.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 16, 2016, 04:01:44 PM
But I do think he quickly says "There is something like that in this film but..."

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 15, 2016, 08:49:41 AM
I think that would have likely been in reference to the Big Chap.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2016, 04:04:23 PM
I think what we're going to be seeing are massive trees and lots of the rocky kind of Engineer architecture. Probably the one Giger-esque kind of stuff we'll see will be the Juggernaut from Prometheus. That was the impression I got, anyway.

The Juggernaut interior in Covenant still looks exactly the same as the one in Prometheus according to those recent leaked pics. No Giger bio-mechanics like in Alien.

CainsSon

CainsSon

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 16, 2016, 04:05:00 PM
But I do think he quickly says "There is something like that in this film but..."

I just found it. Its near the end. He is talking about how awesome it would be to see a Giger Planet but he backpeddles and says that may ruin the mystery of the alien because it would potentially reveal it's origin, but "Again, there might be an aspect of that in this film, but it's more like reverse engineering and where did that technology come from." So I think he is saying, we will see how the Goo transforms Paradise into this Giger-esque landscape, or maybe just a sample of that? Maybe it will borrow that ending from one of the Prometheus scripts where Shaw stumbles into that underground chamber and it's this lush tropical forest, only this time its an enormous Giger Landscape and then the film just ends. That would be f**kin dopecity. But might not happen. Whatever the case I feel really good about this. I think Im getting overall a Dr. Moreau in the Garden of Eden vibe. Very fantasy-like and then the alien comes in an corrupts alll of that.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 16, 2016, 04:05:00 PM

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2016, 04:04:23 PM

The Juggernaut interior in Covenant still looks exactly the same as the one in Prometheus according to those recent leaked pics. No Giger bio-mechanics like in Alien.

I was thinking more in terms of environment here since that is what we're currently talking about. I think that's the only remotely Giger-esque environment we'll see. While it isn't true Giger, it tries to look similar in terms of patterns.

My out-of-order and context quote in your quote was in response to "except the obvious" Giger influence.

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 16, 2016, 04:09:05 PM
I just found it. Its near the end. He is talking about how awesome it would be to see a Giger Planet but he backpeddles and says that may ruin the mystery of the alien because it would potentially reveal it's origin, but "Again, there might be an aspect of that in this film, but it's more like reverse engineering and where did that technology come from." So I think he is saying, we will see how the Goo transforms Paradise into this Giger-esque landscape, or maybe just a sample of that? Maybe it will borrow that ending from one of the Prometheus scripts where Shaw stumbles into that underground chamber and it's this lush tropical forest, only this time its an enormous Giger Landscape and then the film just ends. That would be f**kin dopecity. But might not happen. Whatever the case I feel really good about this. I think Im getting overall a Dr. Moreau in the Garden of Eden vibe. Very fantasy-like and then the alien comes in an corrupts alll of that.

I would happily accept some kind of tease into a wider landscape.

Enoch

Everybody like Giger's work and nobody really tried to understand his symbolism and meaning behind his art.
Giger is not only bones and grotesque elegance, there is more to it... and I don't speak about sexual aspects of
his art. He was very much interested in ocult, in creationism,... and perverted things. His vision is biomechanical, yes,
but also very organic and natural at the same time!

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: CainsSon on Nov 16, 2016, 04:09:05 PM
So I think he is saying, we will see how the Goo transforms Paradise into this Giger-esque landscape, or maybe just a sample of that? Maybe it will borrow that ending from one of the Prometheus scripts where Shaw stumbles into that underground chamber and it's this lush tropical forest, only this time its an enormous Giger Landscape and then the film just ends. That would be f**kin dopecity. But might not happen. Whatever the case I feel really good about this. I think Im getting overall a Dr. Moreau in the Garden of Eden vibe. Very fantasy-like and then the alien comes in an corrupts alll of that.

Well, according to the corporal's sources the "accelerant" does mutate the environment to a certain degree:

Quote from: The Corporal's Secret SauceThese Aliens [Neomorphs] are the result of the local ecosystem being mutated by the accelerant/black goo. Over time, pods started to grow on the trees and the ground, and release a spore when disturbed.

Although it doesn't really mention any Gigerlike bio-mechanical influences. Guess we'll just have to wait for the film to come out to know for sure. Though I doubt it.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2016, 04:12:21 PM
I was thinking more in terms of environment here. I think that's the only remotely Giger-esque environment we'll see. While it isn't true Giger, it tries to look similar in terms of patterns.

I understand what you mean, although the pilot chamber in Prometheus has always felt like a cheap Chinese knock-off to me - compared to the original.

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Nov 16, 2016, 04:22:04 PM
Well, according to the corporal's sources the "accelerant" does mutate the environment to a certain degree:

Quote from: The Corporal's Secret SauceThese Aliens [Neomorphs] are the result of the local ecosystem being mutated by the accelerant/black goo. Over time, pods started to grow on the trees and the ground, and release a spore when disturbed.

Although it doesn't really mention any Gigerlike bio-mechanical influences. Guess we'll just have to wait for the film to come out to know for sure. Though it doubt it.

I'd not heard anything about the accelerant turning the environment into anything Giger-esque though. I'll try and find out.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 16, 2016, 04:12:21 PM
I understand what you mean, although the pilot chamber in Prometheus has always felt like a cheap Chinese knock-off to me - compared to the original.

No argument from me there. But from what we've heard so far, I think that's likely to be the closest we'll get in Covenant.

Enoch

As I said... maybe Ridley plans to show us more of
gigeresque things in second or third installment!

426Buddy

I have a feeling that Ridley is done with the biomechanical look, aside from maybe a big chap appearance, if he does indeed show up that is.

I just don't think the Giger biomechanical look interests Scott anymore, unfortunately.

Its a shame, i'll always wonder what could have been.

Pvt. Himmel

Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 16, 2016, 05:23:27 PM
I have a feeling that Ridley is done with the biomechanical look, aside from maybe a big chap appearance, if he does indeed show up that is.

I just don't think the Giger biomechanical look interests Scott anymore, unfortunately.

Its a shame, i'll always wonder what could have been.
Well you know what they say..

Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. :laugh:

Enoch

;D

To be loved forever and to be seen again! :)

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Enoch on Nov 16, 2016, 04:42:21 PM
As I said... maybe Ridley plans to show us more of
gigeresque things in second or third installment!

Depends on where Covenant goes with Ridley's whole "who made the Aliens" concept. If the Engineers are indeed imitating the Space Jockeys, if the later films go towards them, perhaps we'll start to see truer Giger-esque locales then.

Pvt. Himmel

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed