Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books

Started by felix, Sep 14, 2017, 01:45:44 AM

Author
Alien: The Cold Forge - Titan Books (Read 116,384 times)

HuDaFuK

I quite liked both the Alien 3 and Resurrection comics, but SM's right - they're pretty average all told, and if I wasn't such a fan of the films and interested in seeing how the adaptations differ from them, I wouldn't give them a second thought. In fact I doubt I would've bothered at all.

As Xenomrph says - the first film's comic is very much the exception when it comes to comics adapting pre-existing material. I can't see the novel working satisfactorily as a comic at all. Too much of it was internal.

Perfect-Organism

The Alien adaptation was superb.  There's no question.

Perfect-Organism

I thought about the idea of thought bubbles in an Sliens comic.  The idea rather turned me off actually, so I went to book one to see how the it was handled when Hicks was thinking.  They didn't use thought bubbles.  Instead, there was a box which was very similar to a narration text.  It worked in Book One and it would work well for an adaptation of Cold Forge...

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on May 29, 2018, 08:48:22 PM
Can't really think of anything to recommend the Alien 3 adaptation, except maybe the Queen crawls out Newt's mouth.  And the covers.

Very, very mediocre.

It also truncated the entire intro of the movie and completely omitted the egg.

SM

SM

Speaking of truncated, Resurrection managed to squeeze the whole film into two issues, but ended up being a better overall product.

Local Trouble

That's because it lacked the kookiness and goofiness of the film.

SM

SM

Nah the kookiness of the Caro-esque art made it a better read.

Perfect-Organism

Perfect-Organism

Man I wish I had a chance to read Resurrection in Comic format.  I guess I could try Ebay, though I do wish DH would just publish these as graphic novel compilations.  SM?  Any way this will ever happen?  They could recolor and publish The Abyss while they're at it.

Ha!  Just bought them both on ebay.  Still wish I had a TPB or Graphic novel of this and Alien 3 on my book-shelf.  Its more dignified...

SM

SM

Doubt it.

Not sure why they haven't re-issued them already to be honest.  I'm guessing it's a license thing.

Local Trouble

Quote from: SM on Jun 01, 2018, 02:40:30 AM
Nah the kookiness of the Caro-esque art made it a better read.

Kinda like Sam Kieth?

SM

SM

Not even remotely like Sam Keith.

Local Trouble

Do you have fond memories of going from Denis Beauvais to Sam Kieth?

SM

SM

I have trauma and counselling.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jun 01, 2018, 01:51:15 AMIt also truncated the entire intro of the movie and completely omitted the egg.

If you want to be pedantic, the presence of the Facehugger on the Sulaco was actually covered at the end of Newt's Tale...

Corporal Hicks

Which was published after Alien 3, I believe?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed