Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 02, 2019, 07:11:33 PM

Author
Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short (Read 46,182 times)

bacchus

Disliked last week's short for a variety of reasons (mainly a lack of originality), but this was very good indeed. Great cinematography, and both the lead and the doggy put in a great performance. Found myself a little tense watching it as she creeped through the building hearing the sounds of the dog and the facehugger in the background. Thought the actress who played the lead really sold the short, think she could hold down an entire feature.

Scores so far...

Containment - 3/10
Specimen - 8.5/10

426Buddy

Really enjoyed this one! Very well done all things considered.

GreybackElder

This short was excellent! I really enjoyed the lead and the dog in this. Being a dog owner there is just something unsettling about your dog barking into the darkness.  I also enjoyed when she removed her headphones and the sirens were blaring! I loved the callback to the original Alien with the lead walking down a dark corridor with the steam billowing in the back ground.Great job!

Highland

Brilliant, I'd have been super proud to make something like this.

The whole way through I thought they were going bust the lore right open (quick Alien etc) because it was a short, but they nailed it.

9/10.

acrediblesource

Loved it!Great atmosphere and design all together. Nothing new except...well...the ending part says it all. I hope this will one day make it to feature length!

TC

Aww, c'mon. This is what a real companion is like...

Spoiler
[close]

I mean the puppy at the bottom, not the one on the left  ;D

TC

dHunter333

So the dog was an android of sorts...?
The skin on it's head came off because it bit or scratched the facehugger...?
Confused.

face hugger

face hugger

The budget was 30,000 dollars

Xenomrph

This was pretty great, I liked it a lot more than the first short. It set itself up for some tropes and cliches, and then surprised me by sidestepping them pretty effectively.

SiL

This was a marked improvement. Seeing the actual creature was a plus.

Sound design was incredibly heavy handed but not a deal breaker.

oduodu

why did she strike the dog with the shovel?

very good the best so far

Jango1201

Not bad for a human.

SiL

Quote from: oduodu on Apr 06, 2019, 07:52:10 AM
why did she strike the dog with the shovel?

very good the best so far
Spoiler
Put it out of its misery
[close]

Nukiemorph

Nukiemorph

That was f**king STELLAR!

This one felt way very unique.  Loved the setting, the set, the editing, the pop song, the twist, everything.

This one was truly something special.

10/10

Quote from: dHunter333 on Apr 06, 2019, 03:55:40 AM
So the dog was an android of sorts...?
The skin on it's head came off because it bit or scratched the facehugger...?
Confused.
The dog attacked the facehugger and got wounded by the acidic blood.  The facehugger may have also clawed the dog's face in self-defense.

xxx

Nice, but (maybe) the ending would have been much heavier (and it would make more sense) if it was a real dog.
The same ending, just change the colour from white to red...

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed