Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short

Started by Nightmare Asylum, Apr 02, 2019, 07:11:33 PM

Author
Alien: Specimen - 40th Anniversary Short (Read 46,161 times)

Prez

That was great - genuine suspense.

DaveT937

Very, very good.

SM

Quote from: xxx on Apr 06, 2019, 10:24:04 AM
Nice, but (maybe) the ending would have been much heavier (and it would make more sense) if it was a real dog.
The same ending, just change the colour from white to red...

How does a real dog make more sense?

A real dog would've been facehugged.

Perfect-Organism

Likely, a real dog would have bit the facehugger as well.  Then the result would have been the same.  There is also the possibility that the dog's gag reflex would have prevented it from biting the FH.  Who knows?  I much prefer it the way it is.  Candroid.  Clever.

SM

We know what happens when a facehugger attacks an aggressive real dog.

xxx

Quote from: SM on Apr 06, 2019, 10:50:50 AM
Nice, but (maybe) the ending would have been much heavier (and it would make more sense) if it was a real dog.

Well, (thanks P.O. for the dog biology point of wiew - the snouthugger would definitelly got bitten, and the acid would do its part)
but I thought more about the reason of having the (robo)dog there. He is evidently expendable ("no names") and at the end the guy asked about the hugger "what is that" - so they dont know about aliens, but have the nonhugable robot just to be sure?
Are there another health hazardous materials/organisms for the (robo)dog to defend people from?

SiL

They mention another "Specimen" outbreak at the beginning, so I'm guessing yes.

Nightlord

Much better than the last.

Quote from: xxx on Apr 06, 2019, 11:52:54 AM
Quote from: SM on Apr 06, 2019, 10:50:50 AM

Well, (thanks P.O. for the dog biology point of wiew - the snouthugger would definitelly got bitten, and the acid would do its part)
but I thought more about the reason of having the (robo)dog there. He is evidently expendable ("no names") and at the end the guy asked about the hugger "what is that" - so they dont know about aliens, but have the nonhugable robot just to be sure?
Are there another health hazardous materials/organisms for the (robo)dog to defend people from?
It's just a synthetic dog, doesn't mean it was made to counter huggers. Since the whole room is a greenhouse you wouldn't want a real dog in there potentially ruining it.
And it seems like a lonely job, so the dog counts as company while also sniffing out contaminants.

Prez

What I wanna know is who stuffed the egg in the barrel in the first place.

"Burke... cough cough ... it was Burke!!!"

TC

I'm interested to know how people have their screens adjusted for brightness when watching this.

For example:

During the Fox logo, can you see a difference between the blackness of the horizontal widescreen bars top and bottom, and the blackness within the logo itself?

How about in the opening matte shot of the distant industrial complex: How much detail can you see in the large rock in the left foreground? Is it the same black as the black bars; barely distinguishable texture; or easy to see texture?

TC

xxx

Quote from: SiL on Apr 06, 2019, 11:54:50 AM
They mention another "Specimen" outbreak at the beginning, so I'm guessing yes.
Would make sense, thx :)
but still the last sentence form the guy....is unnecessarily confusing...

The Old One

The Old One

I believe it's misleading terminology, as "Bug Hunt" is.

The "specimen outbreak" mentioned near the beginning is a plant virus, stowaway earth insects or E.T insects. Etcetera.
(My opinion.)

SiL

Yeah, I don't think "specimen" specifically refers to an Alien, but it could be some other thing that a dog would be useful for. Even if it was just the dog's superior sense of smell.

run

run

best ALIEN movie after "Aliens"

Ronoc

This was good, but a robot dog like that makes no sense. If you have the tech to build something that smells as good as a dog, then just make it hand-held. Or attached to a drone that flies around sniffing things.
Or if you're insistent on it looking like dog, then give it the ability to speak, instead of trying to communicate through barks?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed