The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread

Started by Shasvre, Apr 19, 2011, 10:36:01 PM

Author
The SONG OF ICE AND FIRE Thread (Read 449,622 times)

Highland

Highland

It'll be funny if there's a twist somehow and all these posts become invalid. One of my mates mentioned
Spoiler
What if Bran was controlling the Dragon
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: PredBabe on May 17, 2019, 04:55:13 AM
I'm loving the final season even if it isn't completely perfect. Given the length of time left to bring the series to a close, I'd say they've done a great job bringing closure to the many story arcs.

Spoiler
Oh yea, there was definitely a load of closure. The internet has been filling it's britches with brown foam over the abrupt deaths, with Cersi's death receiving the most flack from what I've seen. Some weird way they feel cheated that she was 86'd by crumbling stone, poof gone, not truly getting to see her death.

It's a fickle audience, on one hand they are in an uproar over civilians getting roasted, but feel cheated they didn't get to savor a character experiencing a slow and painful death. Keep in mind the final season is not the only time people went in outrage mode over a GOT death going back to as far as Ned Stark's death.

From both my light side and my dark side regarding the final season overall...

My light side says: Disappointing. Especially considering HBO offered them all the episodes they want, yet they rejected that offer.

My dark side says: Brilliant. I'm loving all the hate it's receiving, giving the middle finger to Dany fans, and went nuts.
[close]

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 17, 2019, 08:40:02 AM
Spoiler
Oh yea, there was definitely a load of closure. The internet has been filling it's britches with brown foam over the abrupt deaths, with Cersi's death receiving the most flack from what I've seen. Some weird way they feel cheated that she was 86'd by crumbling stone, poof gone, not truly getting to see her death.

It's a fickle audience, on one hand they are in an uproar over civilians getting roasted, but feel cheated they didn't get to savor a character experiencing a slow and painful death. Keep in mind the final season is not the only time people went in outrage mode over a GOT death going back to as far as Ned Stark's death.

My light side says: Disappointing. Especially considering HBO offered them all the episodes they want, yet they rejected that offer.

My dark side says: Brilliant. I'm loving all the hate it's receiving, giving the middle finger to Dany fans, and went nuts.
[close]

That was pretty insightful.

LastSonofKrypton

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 17, 2019, 08:49:39 AM
Quote from: Biomechanoid on May 17, 2019, 08:40:02 AM
Spoiler

[close]

Spoiler
I have to admit, I have enjoyed watching all of the YAAASSS QUEEEEN SLAAAAY Youtuber's absolutely losing their shit.  Also, as a fan of the DCEU I'm enjoying not being one of the few people having to defend their favorite media.  Feels good  :)
[close]

Biomechanoid

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 17, 2019, 08:49:39 AM

Thanks. And props to you for the info you shared about the books.

Quote from: The Old One on May 17, 2019, 08:33:52 AM
"Story contains X you treat it seriously?"

Is the worst argument there has ever been, and seems to be getting more and more common to defend abysmal writing and the universe's own logic disappearing down the drain for drama.

Perhaps....but not shocking.  What did you expect from an ever growing audience that watches its entertainment on a telephone....or if they are actually at the theater, they are playing on their telephone throughout the movie.

Some contend that the quality of film has been on a decline the last few decades. But one could also argue the audience mindset has also been on a decline for the last few decades.

And it can all still be blamed on that cinematic catalyst - Heaven's Gate. That's where the demise was born. Before it's release, it was the magical era for directors. Studios gave full autonomy to directors to develop artistic and creative film.

But when Heaven's Gate was released it was such a disaster the studio collapsed and went out of business, careers were destroyed, it sunk an entire genre into a grave for several years.

After that, studios took away director's artistic control and went in safe mode and they have been molding the audience mindset since. Today, it's rare that a director is given full control, James Cameron comes to mind.

Voodoo Magic

Voodoo Magic

For me, as with The Last Jedi, I am honestly so very encouraged that so many out there are recognizing, debating and desiring good fictional writing, proper pacing, proper setup, character development and actions not destructive to character arcs. I've found it heartening actually, all these battles between the desire to make something work, versus what works.

Regardless of where one stands on GoT, there's hope for society yet! :)

The Kurgan

The Kurgan

^ Hear hear.

As the final episode draws closer, any guesses and wishes how it ends from you lads and lasses?

Vertigo

Vertigo

Dany peels off her face to reveal she's really the Night King, sits on the Iron Throne and the reign of humanity ends.

Voodoo Magic

^^^ THIS  :laugh:

Let's be serious though

Cleary, after Dany snapped, the only logical choice is for Jon, Bran an Arya to build a time machine, retrieve the Infinity Stones and undo her snap.

Okay, really seriousness now, I assume they will be forced to kill Dany, or for Dany to kill herself. I have this weird idea in my head that Bran will be able to get into her Dragon's head to consume her, or run her into a cliff.

I dont know. I just hope they can salvage what's left, but I don't know if that's possible at this point.

The Old One

The Old One

YOU CAN'T.

You just have to Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood) it.

Rudiger

Rudiger

I predict an Avatar style ending. Similar to how Jake gained control of the giant dragon-like thing on Pandora, Jon will gain control of Dany's last remaining  dragon... or it will somehow recognise Jon as Targaryen and chose him over Dany.

Or they'll just stab each other in a close embrace and she'll snuff it.

Just so long as Grey Worm gets it... because he's one of the worst actors ever. Can't have him making it out alive.

Vertigo

Vertigo

I'm expecting Arya to kill Drogon, Jon to kill Daenerys, and Sansa to be queen either of the North or the Seven Kingdoms. If not the latter, I expect Westeros to become a form of republic, or a collection of independent states.

People keep expecting Bran to do something huge, but I don't think that's his role in the story. He's basically just there as a spectator and occasional reporter.

kwisatz

kwisatz

Quote from: The Kurgan on May 17, 2019, 07:24:51 AM
Quote from: kwisatz on May 17, 2019, 01:23:16 AM
Lel, just watched Ep5 and i don't get the fuss honestly.

This is a freakin fantasy entertainment show from the getgo and not Crime and Punishment. They inserted a halfassed twist with not much of a psychological foundation - welcome to televised fiction thats construed to be watched by more than three people.

Are they guilty of distorting the literary source? I dont know cause i havnt read it, but i doubt the guy was aiming at becoming the next Proust with a story about dragons and penises --

Arya has a new list.

Spoiler
edit:

And to to all the build up/seed/A to D argumentation: She snaps in the heat of battle after a series of negative events experienced at short intervals. Thats what snapping is. Plus she has some type of hereditary predisposition(?) Plus were in a freakin fantasy environment. Hell in that moment she might even share minds with that killermachine shes riding, otherwise i wouldnt know how shes controlling that thing anyway. I think thats all the kitchen psychology/fanatasy setting motivation i need on this level --
[close]

Glad it worked for you.

Don't get why it not beeing Proust or Dostojewski or having fantasy elements automatically absolves from anything though.

Spoiler
Its just not the case of there not being anything to back her actions up though. Heres a woman who basically lost all of her attachment figures over the course of a couple of days (Jorah, Jon, Meliwhatever, Tyrion, Varys, another dragon [child] etcetc), which kinda is just another repetition of her losing her former husband [who repeatedly raped her] and her baby and her ability to become pregnant again (?) in one strike, which kinda is just another repetition of her childhood situation as a whole where she basically lost everyone except a sadistic brother abusing her for all kinds of shit, brainwashing her all day to become the whore of a stranger for life; therefore eternally refused from childhood on to develop any kind of self confidence which would be the psychological basis to cope with situations such as where all important persons in your life suddenly begin to deflect your personality for whatever reason and start casting doubt on your one and only life goal to become a just ruler which probably is the only corner stone of your fragmented personality that kept you only just from immediately sliding your wrist at the age of 10 etcetcetc, off the top of my head could easily go on ---

This always struggling, convergin on full depravation persona snaps in the heat of battle after riding a goddamn weapon of mass destruction for minutes, with the symbol of her botched life right on front her, eternally mocking and a city full of strangers who did nothing and probably celebrated when her family was wiped out the main tragic event that has shaped a traumatised psyche in large part --. I consider it possible.

And yea the writing is rushed, feels rushed nonetheless, but if really wanna avoid this stop watching mainstream television, In Search of Lost Time is waiting for you.
[close]

Spoiler
[close]

The Old One

The Old One

Local Trouble

I blame Bran for all this.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed