Anybody read Alien Woman yet?

Started by Kimarhi, Sep 21, 2007, 07:58:31 PM

Author
Anybody read Alien Woman yet? (Read 1,326 times)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

So far I'm about halfway through the Aliens part of the book, and while there were some hard things to swallow initially in the chapter discussing Alien, after some explanation I agreed with much of it.

That said, I'm still having trouble believing some of the stuff in the second film they are trying so desperately to tie in with the first one. 

For instance, the authors say that the cat, because it is lying in Ripley's lap during the dream sequence near the beggining of the film, represents Ripley's vagina (because of its location..........and some other things) and the cats teeth represent the potential alien inside.  In other words the cat is suppossed to be rerpresenting Ripley as a mother of a very deadly creature.

Perhaps it is because it has been said Cameron practically dropped the psychosexual nature of the first film that I find this and other connection's to the original movie somewhat unbelievable.

There are also some passages saying that Aliens was a reagen era film (and it was) that was suppossed to represent USA vs communism (this I'm not sure I buy either).  Cameron is canadian.  I'm not sure he much cares (or people that were actual alive and "political" at the time it was released might say different) about that kind of thing, and aside from the book, haven't really heard it mentioned before.  The film as an allegory to Vietnam yes.  But more the fact that a superior technological force is outmoded by the enemy, rather than the fact that they were fighting a communist party.

Hive=Communism.
Alien (the creatures not the title)=nuclear missles
Marines=good ol USA.

I suppose what I'm asking is: Have you read the book and do you buy it?

The sources mostly include critics.  The actual movie sources are based more on creature designs, settings etc, than actual symbolism involving the current events at that time.

It seems like the two authors are trying to carry over the first films symbolism and standards over to the second film, while negating the fact that they are two entirely different types of films, with different writers, and characters.

Munkeywrench

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 21, 2007, 07:58:31 PM
So far I'm about halfway through the Aliens part of the book, and while there were some hard things to swallow initially in the chapter discussing Alien, after some explanation I agreed with much of it.

That said, I'm still having trouble believing some of the stuff in the second film they are trying so desperately to tie in with the first one. 

For instance, the authors say that the cat, because it is lying in Ripley's lap during the dream sequence near the beggining of the film, represents Ripley's vagina (because of its location..........and some other things) and the cats teeth represent the potential alien inside.  In other words the cat is suppossed to be rerpresenting Ripley as a mother of a very deadly creature.

Perhaps it is because it has been said Cameron practically dropped the psychosexual nature of the first film that I find this and other connection's to the original movie somewhat unbelievable.

There are also some passages saying that Aliens was a reagen era film (and it was) that was suppossed to represent USA vs communism (this I'm not sure I buy either).  Cameron is canadian.  I'm not sure he much cares (or people that were actual alive and "political" at the time it was released might say different) about that kind of thing, and aside from the book, haven't really heard it mentioned before.  The film as an allegory to Vietnam yes.  But more the fact that a superior technological force is outmoded by the enemy, rather than the fact that they were fighting a communist party.

Hive=Communism.
Alien (the creatures not the title)=nuclear missles
Marines=good ol USA.

I suppose what I'm asking is: Have you read the book and do you buy it?

The sources mostly include critics.  The actual movie sources are based more on creature designs, settings etc, than actual symbolism involving the current events at that time.

It seems like the two authors are trying to carry over the first films symbolism and standards over to the second film, while negating the fact that they are two entirely different types of films, with different writers, and characters.

The cat is supposed to represent her vagina??? Thats is very strange

The Chibi Kiriyama

I don't like the attempt to intertwine things in independent inference, but the cat = vagina thing is something that curiously fits in a movie with as many sexual implications as the first. Ripley is in a sexually sensitive situation with the Alien, and if the part where it looked at her through the glass tube would have been filmed it would make an interesting mirror for the sexually-themed creature to look at Ripley in a manner similar to the cat.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Rephrase please.

I'm talking about the second film.  I believe your talking about the first............unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying, which is very possible.

Meathead320

Meathead320

I can actually draw, an Alien, by connecting the dots using STARS.

Look at connections you can just make up, by looking for them.

Let's see what I can do...

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

The thing is, these connections are not entirely unfounded.  Of course I often wonder how many works are retrofitted to mean something that the author never originally intended.

The Chibi Kiriyama

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 21, 2007, 11:13:00 PM
Rephrase please.

I'm talking about the second film.  I believe your talking about the first............unless I'm misunderstanding what your saying, which is very possible.

Nope, I just misunderstood you in the first place. :P

And I don't feel that it's just fans looking too hard, though in Aliens it'd be hard to make the same connection based on the material.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm going to highlight it and put things of interest in this thread.

Maybe.

Bishop2

SM

SM

QuoteThe cat is supposed to represent her vagina??? Thats is very strange

Not for anyone who ever watched Are You Being Served.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks quite a bit of it is bs.

On the contrary though, the book had my loling several different times as I read it.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed