Aliens vs. Predator Trilogy

Started by Dr. Wren, Jul 11, 2007, 03:09:21 PM

Author
Aliens vs. Predator Trilogy (Read 7,405 times)

Bishop2

Bishop2

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Sep 04, 2007, 07:34:26 PM
They don't have the license to.

Wait, what?

Okay, this would mean...

1) Having the "Alien" and "Predator" licenses is entirely distinct from having the "AvP" license.
2) DH Press, despite being owned by Dark Horse, does not own the same licenses that Dark Horse Comics has.

Those two things, if accurate, are COMPLETELY INSANE.

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 05, 2007, 06:33:06 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 05, 2007, 12:23:21 AM
Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 04, 2007, 07:33:39 PM
Whatever....i just didnt think war was a good conclusion to the series...mostly because it was in between.

Plus a lot of the action was already discussed in flashbacks of Machiko's past in Hunter's Planet.

I wish they'd release some new AvP novels along with the new Alien and Predator books.

But those events occurred in War's storyline.  They were DIRECTLY tied into War's storyline.  Not Hunters Planet.

Yeah but i read the series in order so i already knew the outcome.

I dont give a flying f**k if they were part of a different novel, War was released after, so reading Hunters Planet first, regardless of how bad it was, still ruins War.

You can't blame War for sticking to the plan.  it followed the comics continuity as it was suppossed to do.  All of the Bantam novels were based on the comics first.  Exception being Hunters Planet.  Bischoff went awol.  he was th eonly one to do so.  Can't realy blame perry for his deviation.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 05, 2007, 07:00:54 PM
1) Having the "Alien" and "Predator" licenses is entirely distinct from having the "AvP" license.

Yes. That's exactly how it is. That license is currently owned by someone else. I suspect Harper Collins.

Quote from: Bishop2 on Sep 05, 2007, 07:00:54 PM2) DH Press, despite being owned by Dark Horse, does not own the same licenses that Dark Horse Comics has.

They have the license to AvP comics. Not prose.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 05, 2007, 07:06:50 PM
Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 05, 2007, 06:33:06 PM
Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 05, 2007, 12:23:21 AM
Quote from: The_Kuff on Sep 04, 2007, 07:33:39 PM
Whatever....i just didnt think war was a good conclusion to the series...mostly because it was in between.

Plus a lot of the action was already discussed in flashbacks of Machiko's past in Hunter's Planet.

I wish they'd release some new AvP novels along with the new Alien and Predator books.

But those events occurred in War's storyline.  They were DIRECTLY tied into War's storyline.  Not Hunters Planet.

Yeah but i read the series in order so i already knew the outcome.

I dont give a flying f**k if they were part of a different novel, War was released after, so reading Hunters Planet first, regardless of how bad it was, still ruins War.

You can't blame War for sticking to the plan.  it followed the comics continuity as it was suppossed to do.  All of the Bantam novels were based on the comics first.  Exception being Hunters Planet.  Bischoff went awol.  he was th eonly one to do so.  Can't realy blame perry for his deviation.

I guess. My point is that Hunter's Planet ruined War for me.

chitman13

chitman13

I've just read Prey and I'm now in the process of Hunters Planet.

I thought Prey was OK, but as I'm a fan of sci-fi literature the whole novel seemed shallow to me, especially the characters. I really enjoyed the basis of the story and felt it could have been much better written. On the whole though, I did enjoy it - check out my full review here.

As for Hunter's Planet. At the moment it seems okay, nothing special though. Perhaps slightly better written the Prey, but I've yet to get into the meaty parts of the story (if any after reading the posts here).

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: chitman13 on Sep 07, 2007, 08:28:27 AM
I've just read Prey and I'm now in the process of Hunters Planet.

I thought Prey was OK, but as I'm a fan of sci-fi literature the whole novel seemed shallow to me, especially the characters. I really enjoyed the basis of the story and felt it could have been much better written. On the whole though, I did enjoy it - check out my full review here.

As for Hunter's Planet. At the moment it seems okay, nothing special though. Perhaps slightly better written the Prey, but I've yet to get into the meaty parts of the story (if any after reading the posts here).

I first read Prey when I was in middle school and am now rereading it and I have to agree with you. The story good, and its good so far as A/P/AvP books are, but as an actual novel it is shallow. If I was not a fan of the series I wouldn't have enjoyed it. It seems you know what you're talking about: I read your review.

People also doubt my literary expertise when i make statements on the series that they don't agree with. Well guess what: I WORK IN A FREAKING LIBRARY! I DEVOUR BOOKS ON A REGULAR BASIS!

Trust me; I know what I'm talking about. Anyway I agree.

Also, people here will slay you for writing that Hunter's Planet was slightly better written. I thought it was decent myself, and everyone here hates it for some reason. They claim it was "boring. Not enugh action, too much talking, and Bishoff took too much liscence with the series." I disagree, I thought it was alright.

Tell me how you think, I want to know if someone else with a mind for books agrees ! ;D

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

Do you consider everybody whose opinion you don't agree with a flamer?

There hasn't been a scifi novel worthy of the Alien/AVP/Pred name because they are all based on comics.  Even Hunters Planet took things from the comics and used them in its story.  If they aren't going to take the time to illustrate in the novel what you see in the comic (as far as description, sense of direction, setting, etc) then your never going to get literary gold.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 07, 2007, 09:14:56 PM
Do you consider everybody whose opinion you don't agree with a flamer?

There hasn't been a scifi novel worthy of the Alien/AVP/Pred name because they are all based on comics.  Even Hunters Planet took things from the comics and used them in its story.  If they aren't going to take the time to illustrate in the novel what you see in the comic (as far as description, sense of direction, setting, etc) then your never going to get literary gold.

never meant that people who dont agree with me are flamers.....i just wish people didnt think i was a flemer for not agreeing with them.

also, i'm not looking for literary gold. You can write a good book thats not gold. I actually was very leniant with the books, because I'm a fan, I thought everyone else was harsh by saying "War rocks my socks, Prey rockzors my sockdrawers, and Hunters Planet sucks dick"

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

I don't think Hunters Planet is that bad.  I just recognize it as being the faulty one in the series because Bischoff tried to make his own story with a storyline that already had an ending.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 08, 2007, 04:01:48 AM
I don't think Hunters Planet is that bad.  I just recognize it as being the faulty one in the series because Bischoff tried to make his own story with a storyline that already had an ending.

yeah pretty much. 8)

mightydreadlock

So wich one is better War of Hunters planet. i,m not buying both since they contradict eachother. I dont think the fact that it,s a bit boring means very much to me. So, i would like some intelligent reasons (writing, characters etc...) :)

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

War is more readable to me, but it takes awhile for the survivors of Berserker and Machiko to meet up.  There isn't a sense of unity like you get out of the Newt/Wilks comics because the characters don't meet until the end.

Its also easier to read.

Bischoff puts a decent story out there, but the preds take centerstage and the aiens are quickly relegated to background nuisances.  Not only that, but they are replaced with xenoborgs.

It would've been a better predator story had they just omitted the aliens.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 08, 2007, 08:11:06 PM
War is more readable to me, but it takes awhile for the survivors of Berserker and Machiko to meet up.  There isn't a sense of unity like you get out of the Newt/Wilks comics because the characters don't meet until the end.

Its also easier to read.

Bischoff puts a decent story out there, but the preds take centerstage and the aiens are quickly relegated to background nuisances.  Not only that, but they are replaced with xenoborgs.

It would've been a better predator story had they just omitted the aliens.

Are you kidding? It didnt take War long at all for Machiko and the crew to meet the book is oly like 150-200 pages!

Hunter's Planet was way better written. People here only hate it cuz it's too long and they are all ADD Webnerds whgo don't have the patience to bother with a book!
Also, just because the plot of Hunters Planet strays from the main AvP mythos doesnt make it bad. Its lame when all the stories are the same :people meet aliens, and predators come too, then humans die.
War was like the deleted scens of Hunters Planet. It sucked. I thought Hunters Planet was....okay. 2/5. War gets 1/5. Prey gets 3.5 or 4 / 5. It was far better

Kimarhi

Kimarhi

It takes half the book for Machiko to meet the berserker survivors.  Try again.

The_Kuff

The_Kuff

Quote from: Kimarhi on Sep 09, 2007, 02:03:17 AM
It takes half the book for Machiko to meet the berserker survivors.  Try again.

so? the book is very short....it only takes 90 f**kin pages!

Plenty of stuff happens before they meet.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed