Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III!

Started by Katanu, Nov 13, 2019, 06:11:03 PM

Author
Dark Horse Announces Predator Hunters III! (Read 58,145 times)

Corporal Hicks

Why Christmas?

Gr33n M4n

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 10, 2020, 11:11:37 AM
Why Christmas?

Because it's the most wonderful time of the year.

Kailem

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Nov 10, 2020, 11:11:37 AM
Why Christmas?

It'll make a nice Alien/Predator Christmas present combo with the Alien: The Original Screenplay hardcover that should hopefully be arriving right before then.

Xiggz456

I called around a couple of local comic shops and they're all getting it and AVP on Nov 18. They also said Dark Horse's website is often wrong on release dates. I'm so impatient!!!

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: Xiggz456 on Nov 10, 2020, 12:53:53 PM
I called around a couple of local comic shops and they're all getting it and AVP on Nov 18. They also said Dark Horse's website is often wrong on release dates. I'm so impatient!!!

Dark Horse & Brian Thies were right here. Mine arrived yesterday. I plan to dive in tonight!

Katanu

Nice! Let us know what you think when you're done reading it.

Voodoo Magic

It pains me to say this, and I have to give it a second read, but my first impression is not good.

The first half (first two issues) is a great start, but the second half just falls apart. Sometimes confusing Predator behavior. The conclusion requires two pages of Google Spanish translation. No payoff with certaincharacters. Emulates Predator 2 and AvP a bit.

Not thrilled that this is how we concluded Dark Horse Predator comics. Hopefully a second read will dull my initial disappointment, because I just adore Hunters I and II. A little bummed. :-\

Local Trouble

Do the artists ever depict them as crabators?

Gr33n M4n

Gr33n M4n

Quote from: Voodoo Magic on Nov 11, 2020, 04:53:20 AM
It pains me to say this, and I have to give it a second read, but my first impression is not good.

Not the feedback I was hoping for. I assume the artwork was good, though? Sometimes I just flip through comics for the artwork, like a kid.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 11, 2020, 05:27:16 AM

I'm not a fan of ''Crabators'' myself.

Katanu

Damn, sad to hear that  :-[
I'll thrown in my two cents after I read it. Still waiting for my amazon pre order.

Voodoo Magic

Okay, got to read it again and tried to look at it with fresh eyes and remove expectations, especially the expectations with our old returning characters and what I'd hope to happen considering this was the last Dark Horse Predator release.

Going back again, it was better the second time around, but still not up there with Hunters I and II. I'd maybe call Hunters III the "Godfather 3" of the series. Some great stuff in there, but not so great too.

I'd revise my statement and say the first three issues/chapters of the story are the good stuff and it falls apart for me in the fourth for the reasons already stated in my previous post.

I'll be real interested in discussing spoilers. I'm really curious everyone's take on Predator behavior, etc. Until then, I wait.

Quote from: Local Trouble on Nov 11, 2020, 05:27:16 AM

Ha. No. Thankfully my crustacean sense didn't tingle that much. Thies' Predator face art comes across 20% abstract anyway, so with him it's hard to guage such things. Twas fine I think.

I felt little love towards this spidery version of the Predator though, in this variant cover.

Quote from: Gr33n M4n on Nov 11, 2020, 05:49:02 AM
Not the feedback I was hoping for. I assume the artwork was good, though? Sometimes I just flip through comics for the artwork, like a kid.

Well art is subjective but I overall liked it. I fell in love so much with one of Thies' splash pages in Predator Hunters III issue one that I purchased the original art early this year. Thies really has a gift for Predator bio-masks! The only thing I'm not a fan of really in the Hunters III art is the more the story progresses, the more sideways mouths we see.

But again, it's subjective.  :)

Quote from: Katanu on Nov 11, 2020, 01:34:14 PM
Damn, sad to hear that  :-[
I'll thrown in my two cents after I read it. Still waiting for my amazon pre order.

Maybe my take will lower your guys' expectation / anticipation level and you'll end up loving it. Can't wait to discuss it with you all!

426Buddy

Pretty bummed by your take voodoo, I was expecting this one to be the best of the three, and I loved the first two.

Guess my expectations were too high, hopefully my copy arrives soon.

Voodoo Magic

Quote from: 426Buddy on Nov 12, 2020, 09:34:29 PM
Pretty bummed by your take voodoo, I was expecting this one to be the best of the three, and I loved the first two.

Guess my expectations were too high, hopefully my copy arrives soon.

Yeah, I'm still a bit bummed. Hopefully for others? me lowering expectations is just what the doctor ordered for an enjoyable read.  We'll see.  :)

Gr33n M4n

I hate sideways mouths  >:(

Katanu

Katanu

Ok, folks, I've read it. Sadly... I'm with Voodoo on this one.

Spoiler
I couldn't understand sh*t of what the Predators were doing when they interacted with each other. Why the hell did they fight each other so much? Why did they hunt together if they would behave like that? And near the end one the Predators wanted to blow himself up after taking a couple of knife wounds... you can easily survive that, buddy, use your damn medkit.

And the humans... John Schaefer and Ligachev! They're back! And they don't add much. John is at the same place he was at the end of Dark River, he doesn't know what became of Dutch, he is still trying to find out. I guess he learned nothing from General Phillips after all. It was nice to see him, but that was all. Ligachev is there as the opposing force also after the Predators, so Stargazer is out of this one. But nothing ever comes out of the story. I feel they could have used an extra issue for this one.
[close]

So yeah, a sad way to finish Dark Horse's Predator comics, and also not a good conclusion to the Hunters series. I hope this isn't the end, and that Marvel continues with a fourth volume for this series.

Edit: I forgot to mention the good stuff. It's not all bad. I liked the art, and the action scenes were pretty cool overall. The setting of the story is also very nice, with the Mayan ruins and underground caves. The story also starts good, but the second half is just out there.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed