[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin

Started by Corporal Hicks, Feb 12, 2021, 06:11:47 AM

Author
[Exclusive] The Predator Is Coming To Calgary! Predator 5/Skulls Slated To Begin (Read 95,096 times)

Enjoy

i kinda wanna see some vikings in this too.

bendinglight

Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 13, 2021, 03:32:46 AM
Please not ADI again.
Agreed - but considering that shooting is starting relatively soon, it would be interesting to know if the special effects studio has already been chosen. I would think that is something that is decided in the early stages of production, right?

What is even wilder is that the interviews done with the ADI folks on the AvPG podcast is that they come across as really confident in their work being the best there is (at least that is the vibe that is given out during the last interview, imo) and not really acknowledging that their designs are poor...which seems like a mix of arrogance and detachment from reality. I get being confident in your work but there is also the ability to be able to look at your work and be able to point out the failures/mistakes that go a long way. The fact that the best part of Fugitive is the armor, again in my opinion, and it was outsourced is further validation that ADI really needs to sit out the Predator universe for the rest of eternity.

Kradan

Enjoy

I hope with Disney being the boss, that they will get who stan winston is. I want to see Elder from P2 in his younger years. If disney is smart they will work will legend studios and use his stuff.

SuperiorIronman

Quote from: bendinglight on Feb 15, 2021, 05:34:59 PM
Quote from: Trash Queen on Feb 13, 2021, 03:32:46 AM
Please not ADI again.
Agreed - but considering that shooting is starting relatively soon, it would be interesting to know if the special effects studio has already been chosen. I would think that is something that is decided in the early stages of production, right?

What is even wilder is that the interviews done with the ADI folks on the AvPG podcast is that they come across as really confident in their work being the best there is (at least that is the vibe that is given out during the last interview, imo) and not really acknowledging that their designs are poor...which seems like a mix of arrogance and detachment from reality. I get being confident in your work but there is also the ability to be able to look at your work and be able to point out the failures/mistakes that go a long way. The fact that the best part of Fugitive is the armor, again in my opinion, and it was outsourced is further validation that ADI really needs to sit out the Predator universe for the rest of eternity.

I wouldn't say they're arrogant, they know. The artist is oftentimes on the lowest end of the totem pole having to work with the studio, budget, the actor, and the director to make the best FX possible and more often than not they don't have the most say in how that goes. No studio is also going to say that the work was bad because being an artist is a tough profession that doesn't have a reliable paycheck. They want to get hired so while they might not like how something goes they always have next time to improve on something. They have admitted that they'd hated what they did on some projects but ultimately have to do it because people gotta eat and got bills to pay.

funk_master_chunk

I'm not sure I like the direction it's going.

I have nothing against the female lead in this - as has been said, Ripley is the protagonist of Alien and it's not an issue at all.

But the setting and purported age(s) of the protagonists doesn't sit right with me.

From the established lore, it's safe to assume the Preds hunt, learn and upgrade their arsenal and/or methods from their findings. So I don't have an issue with them coming to earth at this point in time and learning from a culture renowned for their tracking and hunting abilities.

Where it falls flat for me is the (alleged) age of the protagonists and (and this is conjecture on my behalf) I can't help bu feel they'll play on the psychic/6th sense/Native American trope and tie it in with Billy. I genuinely wouldn't be surprised to see Billy's necklace make an appearance.

And, as much as that may delight some of te fanbase, I don't think it'll make it a commercial success. And the franchise needs a commercial success to ensure "proper" or  at least "good" longevity.

Enjoy

It is possible that  this will be a digital release Even more so with the pandemic shutting theaters down.
I do not care if this is a commercial success just as long as it is good and only the start of seeing a predtor through out history.
The teenager thing sucks but I wouod think being young and less thretening is why they are alive to begin with.

Kradan

Quote from: SuperiorIronman on Feb 15, 2021, 11:28:45 PM
I wouldn't say they're arrogant, they know. The artist is oftentimes on the lowest end of the totem pole having to work with the studio, budget, the actor, and the director to make the best FX possible and more often than not they don't have the most say in how that goes. No studio is also going to say that the work was bad because being an artist is a tough profession that doesn't have a reliable paycheck. They want to get hired so while they might not like how something goes they always have next time to improve on something. They have admitted that they'd hated what they did on some projects but ultimately have to do it because people gotta eat and got bills to pay.

BigDaddyJohn

Quote from: funk_master_chunk on Feb 16, 2021, 12:59:28 AM
And, as much as that may delight some of te fanbase, I don't think it'll make it a commercial success. And the franchise needs a commercial success to ensure "proper" or  at least "good" longevity.

A commercial success could also "marvelize" the franchise.

SiL

What's that even supposed to mean. ???

SuperiorIronman

The Marvel formula is probably not a bad thing when it comes to Predator. Though I wouldn't be against the series instead of going forward I'd be all for something like the Star Wars Anthology movies where we jump around in time. We can have a pre-colonial film or maybe an adaptation of how Elder got his pistol. If anything like Marvel, Fox should take the brand seriously by simply doing what Marvel does and embrace the character and universe.

And frankly with Marvel's success I would be all for finding a Predator movie having grossed a billion dollars as unlikely as that'd be.

Whiskeybrewer

I still think it should be called Predator: Skull of Your Country  ;D ;)

Lost_Hunter

The Marvel formula is a joke, you can swap the character and the villain and it's almost the same crap over and over. The character's are cutouts of their comic counterparts. Marvel does not embrace the character, they change them to fit a hollow formula. I know it's extremely successful(that says something about the audience) it's also the bane of creativity in Hollywood. Keep this garage away from Predator and Alien.

BlueMarsalis79

Quote from: Lost_Hunter on Feb 17, 2021, 06:25:11 PM
The Marvel formula is a joke, you can swap the character and the villain and it's almost the same crap over and over. The character's are cutouts of their comic counterparts. Marvel does not embrace the character, they change them to fit a hollow formula. I know it's extremely successful(that says something about the audience) it's also the bane of creativity in Hollywood. Keep this garage away from Predator and Alien.

What?

Lost_Hunter

Yeah, that's a whole nother rant. Marvel movies do not work for me. I'm a comic guy and Marvel movies have more in common with Pro Wrestling than they do with the comics.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed