Philip Gips, Designer of Iconic Alien Poster, Dies Aged 88

Started by Corporal Hicks, Oct 05, 2019, 07:26:00 PM

Author
Philip Gips, Designer of Iconic Alien Poster, Dies Aged 88 (Read 7,827 times)

SM

That poster was enough to scare me off for years.

SiL

Today I learned the late Mr Gips outlived arguably the only person to create an equally iconic alternate poster, Jakub Erol, by about 18 months

Mr. Clemens

Quote from: Fiendishly Inventive on Oct 07, 2019, 08:55:43 AM
I miss poster artists, not blue and orange Photoshop committee garbage.

Part of me is still convinced that that's what killed Blade Runner 2049:

SiL

Somehow I don't think a lacklustre poster killed a 2 and a half hour sequel to a film almost nobody asked for a sequel to, that didn't do well in the first place  :P

Voodoo Magic

In the pre-internet days of newspaper movie listings and vhs rental new release shelves, poster art used to be extremely important to luring audiences.

But today, posters are practically impotent.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, I totally agree.

RichardW

Always wondered who came up with that tagline. Art really does live on, and this is one of the best posters ever. You have to wonder, did they actually get a sketch or something of the egg, but see it upside down? The shape of the crack if you flip it does resemble one half of the cross-like flaps on the actual alien egg.

Something similar happened with the starship Reliant seen in Star Trek 2, where the producer saw the design upside down and said "brilliant!".

The Old One

The Old One

Perhaps, I always wondered that myself. But it just representing an Egg I always thought myself.

Schaefer

I first seen Alien around 1986-87.
I found a pic of this poster in a TV guide and instandly wanted to watch that Movie.
I asked my Father to record it for me on VHS and i needed arond 5000 trys to watch the Movie to its End because i was so frightend as a Kid.
Thanks to Mr. Gips for his iconic Art. Without it i might have never been a Alien Fan.
(Sorry for my English)

The Old One

The Old One

No apology required.

Voodoo Magic

Correct. If anyone owes us an apology, it's Huggsy.

FenGiddel

Thanks for this. I never knew who created the poster.

Mr. Clemens

I just read in the Making of Alien that he was instrumental in the 'egg' portions of the trailers, too.

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah, that didn't surprise me.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed