Box Office Takings for The Predator

Started by Tetsujin, Jul 20, 2018, 05:00:59 PM

Author
Box Office Takings for The Predator (Read 81,476 times)

Shaeffer11

With an 88 million dollar budget, what does it need to take in box office wise to break even?

Whos_Nick

You also have to account the extensive reshoots and marketing campaign, so Fox isn't just 88 million in on The Predator.

Xiggz456

See I think the 88 mil includes reshoots. Based on how Predators did, Fox most likely gave Shane an initial budget of 65 mil. I also wouldn't be surprised if the additional reshoots took money that was budgeted for advertising and promotion as I didn't see a ton of advertising for the film. It's all speculation though as Hollywood will never give us an itemized ledger of the entire cost of a film.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 14, 2018, 05:03:30 PM
Ellen Ripley's story is over.

Alan Dutch Schaefer returning as a mentor/leader or even antagonist still could work though.

It's only over in 1 fictional timeline.  By most accounts, it ended in a very unsatisfying way.  A continuation of Ripley's story along a different path could be quite compelling if done well.  Many other stories could also be compelling.  However many of the other stories don't have a clock ticking for them.  The remaining stars of Aliens are getting older, and their chance to participate in a good Aliens film is not without limits.

I think there is something to be said for using a popular cast which people are rooting for.  These are Aliens films, granted, but they are still people stories.  Without a connection to the people, the stories can easily become uprooted, or without a foundation.  An exploration of the world of the Aliens without the core characters is what the Silmarillion is to the LOTR series.

Huggs

Huggs

Quote from: Perfect-Organism on Oct 21, 2018, 03:59:49 AM
The remaining stars of Aliens are getting older, and their chance to participate in a good Aliens film is not without limits.

I've been saying this for awhile. And it's not just a matter of an actor/actress passing away, they may also choose to retire at any time. I'm sure people like Arnold and Weaver will keep going as long as possible. But, there might come a day when either wishes to call it a career, and go enjoy their remaining years how they see fit.

Nathsp

Nathsp

An alternative line with newt and hicks could be interesting, i endend liking alien 3, but not the part they die..

Perfect-Organism

I really like Alien 3.  But the Aliens series always was a question of different possibilities.  Is the creature sitting in the derelict ship an elephant nosed alien or is he a large human in a suit?  There are unlimited ways of spinning the story at every divergent juncture.  Alien 3 is one valid direction though admittedly it closes the series as nobody wants to continue from that jumping off point.  An alternate telling of a sequel to Aliens would be just as valid.

The Old One

The Old One

No.

New sequel after A3, or Resurrection.
No Ellen Ripley.

Huggs

Huggs

The franchise lucked out with Resurrection just featuring a clone. Ellen Ripley had her time. To lose to the Alien was a realistic and unavoidable ending, thus it was the proper conclusion to her story arc. But, her character went out with dignity and strength.

Any new films should focus on all new characters born after her death, and ones that are not related to, nor resemble her in any way.

Embracing Nostalgia for the sake of money is a good way to screw up a franchise. It's always best to quit while ahead. Ripley quit on Fury 161. I hope the studio respects that narrative choice, lest they should turn Alien into the Terminator franchise.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 21, 2018, 01:12:55 PM
No.

New sequel after A3, or Resurrection.
No Ellen Ripley.

Nobody wants to direct that sequel.  You're asking for prequels, or side-quels, i.e. stories that have no relation to the core story which revolved around Ripley.  I can't imagine any director clamoring to direct that either.

The Old One

The Old One

The "core story" is over.

The Cold Forge proves sequels, with no relation to the original-
have the potential to be just as, if not more compelling than the original.

(Prometheus should have been that sequel, and set after AR, but it failed in its' writing.)
(It will happen again, this time correctly- someday.
)

Perfect-Organism

Cold Forge, a loose adaptation of Alien Isolation, and an alternate Alien 3 could all work out really well.  It's all in the execution and the story.

The Old One

The Old One

Alien Isolation's perfect as it is.

& so is A3.

Perfect-Organism

Quote from: The Old One on Oct 21, 2018, 08:48:36 PM
Alien Isolation's perfect as it is.

& so is A3.

For a video game, yes.  For a film, I'm not so sure.  There is a lot of longueur in the game.  If you bring it down to 2 hours, what really happened in the game?  How did Amanda's character value change?  Did she start at one place and end up at another in terms of who she is?  If not, it won't be compelling on film.  Something else needs to take place there.

The Old One

The Old One

True, but I have no interest in a film adaptation regardless.

I love Isolation, as Isolation.
Perhaps the novelisation's a superior candidate?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed