Begins Filming in January?

Started by Ultramorph, Aug 02, 2015, 11:26:19 PM

Author
Begins Filming in January? (Read 23,311 times)

thecaffeinatedone

Quote from: XenoHunter99 on Aug 06, 2015, 02:20:33 AM
Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 05, 2015, 05:58:54 PM
I understand your point of view. Although, Prometheus felt like to me that it was made in such a way that indicated that a sequel was necessary.
It would be fine if Prometheus 2 never happens. The big mistake with Prometheus was thinking it would be good. Instead, it was a tale of smart people doing dumb things.

The biggest mistake with Prometheus was thinking that it would somehow be so groundbreaking that it would stop being a traditional thriller (where characters have always 99% of the time done dumb things for plots sake). Damon Lindelof isn't a great writer by any stretch, more of a hack, in my opinion.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Aug 06, 2015, 07:13:46 PM
Eurgh, Predator 4 and Alien 5. Shows you how low these franchise's have slumped.
lol Why? They both have barely enough content to base any concrete speculations as of yet.

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Aug 07, 2015, 03:17:40 PM
I understand your point of view. Although, Prometheus felt like to me that it was made in such a way that indicated that a sequel was necessary.
It would be fine if Prometheus 2 never happens. The big mistake with Prometheus was thinking it would be good. Instead, it was a tale of smart people doing dumb things.

The biggest mistake with Prometheus was thinking that it would somehow be so groundbreaking that it would stop being a traditional thriller (where characters have always 99% of the time done dumb things for plots sake). Damon Lindelof isn't a great writer by any stretch, more of a hack, in my opinion.

Completely agree. I think that is when Prometheus took a turn for the worse - when Lindelof got involved. Convoluted doesn't equate to a high-brow film.

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 07, 2015, 09:46:22 PM
Eurgh, Predator 4 and Alien 5. Shows you how low these franchise's have slumped.
lol Why? They both have barely enough content to base any concrete speculations as of yet.

Indeed. Sequels doesn't equate to sinking low.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

When they are the fourth or fifth film in the series they usually stink. There are too many films in both franchise's already.

𝔗𝔥𝔢 𝔈𝔦𝔤𝔥𝔱𝔥 𝔓𝔞𝔰𝔰𝔢𝔫𝔤𝔢𝔯

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Aug 08, 2015, 01:58:37 PM
When they are the fourth or fifth film in the series they usually stink. There are too many films in both franchise's already.

Mad Max Fury Road (Mad Max 4) begs to differ. But generally speaking you're right, people seem to stop trying after the second or third film and just go through the motions.

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

Quote from: The Eighth Passenger on Aug 08, 2015, 02:05:41 PM

Mad Max Fury Road (Mad Max 4) begs to differ. But generally speaking you're right, people seem to stop trying after the second or third film and just go through the motions.

There are exceptions but in the case of these films there won't be. Alien 5 is directed by Blomkamp and Predator has the inherent problem of being liked because it was an Arnie film. No Arnie, No Predator.

Ratchetcomand

Ratchetcomand

Not all 4th films are bad. Mad Max 4, Rambo 4, Lethal Weapon 4 and Toxic Avenger 4 where all good and decent. Just give Predator 4 a good writer and director.

CainsSon

CainsSon

The reason this happens is that by the time a film is sucessful enough to warrant a third or forth installment, the studio no longer has a blank slate to work with, they have a commodity. And a commodity is a loaded thing. People expect certain things from an Alien film, and that is where and how the Alien series went wrong. The studio and producers start insisting on certain things, certain degrees of intensity, certain vibes and that certain material be present. This is death to a writer and its why Im not in agreement with fans about Alien 3... Because I think they still attempted to do something in a different vein from the laat two while accomodating the producers... This is likely what also makes people dislike it because it still attempts to qualify with what happened before it but should have not tried and went off entirely on its own (like the wooden planet tried to do for better or worse). Of course, you take a gamble doing that because it may be different in a way fans dislike. But from A:R onward, minus Prometheus mostly, the franchise was eaten by people trying to restore its former glory instead of carving its own niche. The exceptions prove the rule. The best stuff in A:R is the stuff thats original, the things that ruin it are the things that attempt to be more like Alien and Aliens... Cameron was able to build on what came before his film but I worry when people start saying they want another 'Aliens like' or 'alien-like' film because that how these problems start. Because there are studi heads with some BS checklist going "It has to be like this..." And "This has to be like this but not too much of this..." Or even "we need it to have more action or less gore or blah-de-blah...

hfeldhaus

hfeldhaus

The Alien franchise has life in it. Prometheus showed that. They took it away from the originals and tried to do something different. I comment them on that, but what I won't do is get hard for a film for fan boys. I really hate that. Alien 5 is a stupid idea from a below average director. The Predator franchised is f**ked, no matter who you out on it. The franchise has confined itself into a singular motif. The hunter and the hunted. Maybe Shane Black will change it up but he's got a challenge.

System Apollo

System Apollo

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Aug 08, 2015, 11:42:07 AM

Quote from: System Apollo on Aug 07, 2015, 09:46:22 PM

Indeed. Sequels doesn't equate to sinking low.

Mad Max Fury Road (Mad Max 4) begs to differ.

The Admin quoted me!? He quoted me!

QuoteHe was looking at your avatar!
No... I am awaited... I am awaited in Valhalla!

One of the best movies of the decade. Miller really made audiences remember the values of practical effects.

Quote from: hfeldhaus on Aug 08, 2015, 09:37:22 PM
The Alien franchise has life in it. Prometheus showed that. They took it away from the originals and tried to do something different. I comment them on that, but what I won't do is get hard for a film for fan boys. I really hate that. Alien 5 is a stupid idea from a below average director. The Predator franchised is f**ked, no matter who you out on it. The franchise has confined itself into a singular motif. The hunter and the hunted. Maybe Shane Black will change it up but he's got a challenge.
How irate :/
Alien 5 has no ideas just a name... How could you perceive a film as stupid with nothing other than the fact that it's a sequel?
Neil is definitely NOT below average as a director. You might not like his movies but I for one believe that he is very skilled in his field and understands the roots behind a good Sci-fi film more so than a lot of our previous Sci-fi film makers.
As for Predator it has a lot of space and freedom in it's continuity to virtually do anything and pull it off. Predator even has more space and freedom than the Alien franchise does believe it or not.

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: thecaffeinatedone on Aug 07, 2015, 03:17:40 PM

Totally agree. I've been thinking for a while now, if Lindelof was as good a writer as he is at Spin/PR/Interviews, he would be the best Hollywood screenwriter of all time! A hack indeed, it can't be coincidence that everything he touches has some inherent movie ruining flaw(s).

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The number of sequels behind something doesn't mean it gets worse. Obviously...Alien has done this but it's really down to the attitude of the powers that be and the talent behind the film. I wouldn't make any assumptions based on it being number 5.

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Friday the 13th part 6 was pretty damn good, considering how bad most of the sequels were. No one wanted it (except die-hard fans of that series, I suppose) but it was funny and entertaining.

System Apollo

System Apollo

It isn't so much as it being a sequel but rather a reboot.
When I am refering to reboot I am speaking in the sense of making a franchise relevant again and not only remaking the plot from point A.
So far a lot of reboots have been successful during this decade. Maybe Alien 5 will be one of them?

NickisSmart

NickisSmart

Reboots tend to reinvent things. What if Alien 5 plays out like the first two films? Is it still a reboot?

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed