Alien Covenant given a 15 classification by the BBFC uk rating boeard

Started by Wobblyboddle77, May 04, 2017, 02:44:55 AM

Author
Alien Covenant given a 15 classification by the BBFC uk rating boeard (Read 8,495 times)

Wobblyboddle77

Wobblyboddle77

The uk ratings classification board have given Alien covenant a 15 rating for "strong bloody violence, gore, strong language"
with no cuts, the same rating as Prometheus. There is a breakdown of the classification but no real spoilers which is available at
http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/alien-covenant-film
The runtime is 121 minutes.
Whats everyones thoughts on that?

cucuchu

Same thread 5 years ago, more or less  :laugh:
http://www.avpgalaxy.net/forum/index.php?topic=43368.0

That being said, I think this will be a much harder 15 classification (or hard R here in the states). I remember there being concern that Prometheus might be a pg-13 rating in the states and that sure as shit stinks was not the case with Covenant.

Ragonk_Force

Prometheus is close to pg-13 imo. The medpod scene is intense, but its not even close to the backburster scene

Corporal Hicks

Expected no less. :) Very few R's translate across to an 18 and it's that nice little catch-all age range in the UK to give it a bit extra profit.

Ingwar

Good news. More money for box office.

HuDaFuK

Yeah, the BBFC seems to be very lenient on blood and gore these days. Even AVP:R was only a 15, and some the violence in that is pretty grim.

Suffice to say, Covenant is a bloody movie. The press kit features an opening quote from Ridley saying, "We're going to need a lot of claret." :laugh:

dumbass_colonist

I hope this doesn't translate into the film pulling its punches. I was looking forward to some heinous violence a la Scott's Hannibal.

Scorpio

How come the UK rating doesn't mention the sex/nudity but the US rating does?  ???

Ragonk_Force

Ragonk_Force

Quote from: Scorpio on May 04, 2017, 09:46:26 AM
How come the UK rating doesn't mention the sex/nudity but the US rating does?  ???
Because nudity is offensive here. But on tv we can show a man bash another mans head in with a barbed wire baseball bat.

*unnecessary comment towards religious people removed. Please keep it civil. Hicks.

RabidNinja

Judging from the Alien Day footage, I'm glad they're not cutting anything out.

HuDaFuK

Quote from: dumbass_colonist on May 04, 2017, 09:41:58 AMI hope this doesn't translate into the film pulling its punches.

It doesn't. It's not gratuitous like Requiem was, but it's plenty bloody when it wants to be.

Quote from: Scorpio on May 04, 2017, 09:46:26 AMHow come the UK rating doesn't mention the sex/nudity but the US rating does?  ???

Yeah, the American ratings system's really messed up. Horrific violence? Fine. A breast? You can't show that!

I think it's a bit more balanced here in the UK (now that the BBFC no longer executes a merciless persecution of headbutts lol).

Marcus9000

The way Ridley was going on I fully expected the classification to be an 18, but hey ho.

Most films that end up 18 in UK have either to be extremely violent or have graphic sex scenes.

15s can still be quite horrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T Dog

T Dog

Quote from: HuDaFuK on May 04, 2017, 10:19:18 AM
Quote from: dumbass_colonist on May 04, 2017, 09:41:58 AMI hope this doesn't translate into the film pulling its punches.

It doesn't. It's not gratuitous like Requiem was, but it's plenty bloody when it wants to be.

Quote from: Scorpio on May 04, 2017, 09:46:26 AMHow come the UK rating doesn't mention the sex/nudity but the US rating does?  ???

Yeah, the American ratings system's really messed up. Horrific violence? Fine. A breast? You can't show that!

I think it's a bit more balanced here in the UK (now that the BBFC no longer executes a merciless persecution of headbutts lol).
Aaaah those Matrix edits  :D

Quote from: Marcus9000 on May 04, 2017, 10:52:15 AM
The way Ridley was going on I fully expected the classification to be an 18, but hey ho.

Most films that end up 18 in UK have either to be extremely violent or have graphic sex scenes.

15s can still be quite horrifying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Well it got rated 16's in Ireland (we have 15s too) which means its gonna hit a bit harder than most violent movies. 18s is usual reserved for sexual violence and explicit sex scenes these days. So a bbfc 15s is probably fine for Sci Fi horror (although I heard the film is more of a thriller than a horror).

Whiskeybrewer

Its interesting that its harder to get a 18 in the UK nowadays. The Belko experiment was an 18 and from what Ive heard about Covenant, its gonna be gorier than that.

Should be interesting

Citadel

Was convinced we'd get an 18 with that Alien Day footage. Fantastic for box office, though.

Strings being pulled? ;)

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed