ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen

Started by RakaiThwei, Sep 11, 2014, 02:56:25 AM

Author
ComicbookGirl Interviews Lance Henriksen (Read 40,686 times)

Milan

Quote from: RakaiThwei on Sep 13, 2014, 08:25:34 AM
[Eyes the thread for a moment. Blinks and then shakes head]

...At least I get front page credit for sharing this.

Sorry RakaiThwei, no disrespect, sometimes you start talking about one thing that leads into another, the thread will go back to it's origins soon I think :-)

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 13, 2014, 06:41:47 AM
How am I avoiding the question?
By not answering it. Why would they need a holographic screen in a locker room, in the mess hall, in the hangar, in any of the locations seen in the movie? "To impress people" is asinine, these people are still working on a budget and still needing to be the least bit practical.

predxeno

predxeno

Wow, the way you word things we'd expect the military to still be using Windows 95 because of budgetary issues.  In Aliens, Ripley and co. utilize a table screen to view the blueprints for Hadley's Hope; explain to me why that table isn't using holographic technology if that technology is over 57 years old.

RakaiThwei

RakaiThwei

Quote from: Milan on Sep 13, 2014, 08:35:52 AM
Sorry RakaiThwei, no disrespect, sometimes you start talking about one thing that leads into another, the thread will go back to it's origins soon I think :-)

Eh, it's alright I guess, Milan. I just.. can't help but shake my head and roll my eyes.

In regards to this interview as well as some of her other videos, it's clear that ComicBookGirl19 is a Prometheus fangirl. Nothing wrong with that, but it would've been interesting to hear Lance talk about the different Weyland portrayals. At the time when he was filming AvP, Lance seemed to really believe in what he was help putting out. And he still maintains a good relationship with the folks over at ADI. I know that when I spoke with Tom Woodruff Jr., he seemed to still stand by AvP when I told him about the fan reaction and I'm sure he still probably stands by it.

I know that a couple years back, Lance was in Cherry Hill to meet and greet with fans, I wish I would've gotten the chance to speak with him as well as I did with Tom, Ian and Mike Biehn. Would've been interesting to speak with Lance. Personally, I'm surprised he's disappointed with Prometheus and his feelings seem to more or less match up with Cameron's.

SM

I found her Prometheus dissection kinda painful.

QuoteWow, the way you word things we'd expect the military to still be using Windows 95 because of budgetary issues.  In Aliens, Ripley and co. utilize a table screen to view the blueprints for Hadley's Hope; explain to me why that table isn't using holographic technology if that technology is over 57 years old.

Same reason Prometheus used 2D weather radar displays and ultrasounds and video feeds and great big entertainment screens I supposed.

Xenomorphine

Xenomorphine

The Sulaco might not necessarily need holographic displays, but the interfaces are quite clearly retro (as are those of the Nostromo personnel files being splashed up on view behind Ripley at Gateway). The APC's command centre, however, would have clearly benefited from something along those lines... Just as the therapeutic room aboard Gateway station would: Why is it using giant flat projectors when it could simply envelope a patient in the illusion of being inside an actual peaceful location?

And, again, the device for monitoring dreams would have been very useful. And if the scene between David 8 and Weyland really was meant to be inferred as allowing for two-way interaction while dreaming, why is Ripley not being at least psychologically treated that way, instead of being fobbed off with sleeping medication?

Also, shouldn't at least Burke have been interested in seeing what she was dreaming about? On the one hand, he's apparently representing her at the hearing, which means he'd at least be obligated to gather what evidence he can to defend her. On the other, we eventually find out he's corrupt enough to send colonists out to the derelict's co-ordinates, purely out of curiosity! So, he's got double the reason to find out what Ripley's dreams are about; for gathering useful data, if nothing else.

Considering all of that, I know Ridley Scott clearly wasn't taking any of these ramifications into account, but it almost makes a mockery of the Jordans being sent out... Gather Ripley's dream data and bypass the whole curiosity thing completely: Send out a properly equipped Weyland-Yutani expedition (or at least detour something already out in that neck of the woods). He'd be able to make a case for doing so with that sort of information.

As for holographic displays, Hadley's Hope could have definitely benefited from one. They've got a giant table apparently dedicated to nothing but mapping. :) Slowly labouring through 2D blueprints seems an awfully inefficient way of doing so when you could just punch up a 3D map you can twist and turn around any way you please to. I mean, we could fan-wank an explanation along the lines of the 'holography station' having mysteriously malfunctioned, but it seems weird they didn't just have a back-up laying around instead of having this ominously huge machine just sitting in the middle of the room all the time for the purpose of 2D mapping presentation.

I also remember, back when 'Prometheus' was being released, pointing out that the Auriga's utter lack of any of this technology makes it even stranger (especially medical scans and interfaces). The Nostromo-is-old theory works, sure. You can apply that to the prison planet, too. But Gateway Station is busy and being near Earth would make it especially easy to keep updated, while Hudson's proudly banging on about how the Sulaco's stuff is "state of the bad-ass art" - all of which are long after the Nostromo's encounter. Then we see this super-secret military research ship, even further into the future and, well... Definite inconsistencies.

So, yes, there's an obvious case to be made about Nostomo and Fury comparisons. Not so much when you make them with the Sulaco, Gateway and Auriga.

SM

QuoteJust as the therapeutic room aboard Gateway station would: Why is it using giant flat projectors when it could simply envelope a patient in the illusion of being inside an actual peaceful location?

Why did Vickers suits use a giant flat screen?

QuoteThe APC's command centre, however, would have clearly benefited from something along those lines...

In principal yes; not so much in practicality.  Too small.

QuoteSo, he's got double the reason to find out what Ripley's dreams are about; for gathering useful data, if nothing else.

Do you often have linear, and literally accurate dreams?

SiL

Quote from: predxeno on Sep 13, 2014, 08:42:18 AM
Wow, the way you word things we'd expect the military to still be using Windows 95 because of budgetary issues.
The way you word things we'd expect the military to have 3D TVs in the lavatory to impress civilians who will never see them.

The whole thing relies on the idea that just because the technology exists means its use would be ubiquitous in every conceivable application. This isn't how the world works. We've had 3D film since the twenties, but here we are almost a hundred years later and they're still struggling to argue its worth.

There's no need to rely on "Well, the Nostromo is old" when "It wasn't deemed practical or necessary" suits just fine. The Prometheus didn't even have super fancy tech throughout its entire vessel as SM keeps trying to point out, and it didn't have it for anything that was actually critical. All of their navigation systems, read-outs, etc. were done on regular screens. Compare your smartphone to the cockpit of the latest commercial airliner, cruise ship, aircraft carrier, or space shuttle and you'll see that just because touch screens and voice-activated AI are pretty ubiquitous in smartphones these days, doesn't mean they're used for every damn thing.

Jeez.

Blacklabel

..what is this page about, again?

Cvalda

Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 13, 2014, 02:00:05 PM
A chronicle of predxeno's madness?

Watching the interview now, lorf bless Lance.

predxeno

predxeno

Quote from: SiL on Sep 13, 2014, 12:29:52 PM
Quote from: predxeno on Sep 13, 2014, 08:42:18 AM
Wow, the way you word things we'd expect the military to still be using Windows 95 because of budgetary issues.
The way you word things we'd expect the military to have 3D TVs in the lavatory to impress civilians who will never see them.

The whole thing relies on the idea that just because the technology exists means its use would be ubiquitous in every conceivable application. This isn't how the world works. We've had 3D film since the twenties, but here we are almost a hundred years later and they're still struggling to argue its worth.

There's no need to rely on "Well, the Nostromo is old" when "It wasn't deemed practical or necessary" suits just fine. The Prometheus didn't even have super fancy tech throughout its entire vessel as SM keeps trying to point out, and it didn't have it for anything that was actually critical. All of their navigation systems, read-outs, etc. were done on regular screens. Compare your smartphone to the cockpit of the latest commercial airliner, cruise ship, aircraft carrier, or space shuttle and you'll see that just because touch screens and voice-activated AI are pretty ubiquitous in smartphones these days, doesn't mean they're used for every damn thing.

Jeez.

There is a difference here that you are blatantly avoiding at all costs; none of the Prometheus's technology is new anymore, 57 year old technology would be cheap and VERY affordable by Aliens' time and actually quite helpful.

Quote from: Cvalda on Sep 13, 2014, 03:12:24 PM
Quote from: Blacklabel on Sep 13, 2014, 02:00:05 PM
A chronicle of predxeno's madness?

Watching the interview now, lorf bless Lance.

How am I being mad for stating the most logical fallacies?  Just because my opinion isn't the popularopinion doesn't mean it's wrong, but I wouldn't expect a conformist to understand that.

Blacklabel

If Cvalda is a conformist... what does that make you?...

The local rastafari predalien revolutionary? :P

Cvalda

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed