Katherine Waterston regarding Alien: Covenant sequel

Started by Immortan Jonesy, Jan 11, 2019, 08:42:22 PM

Author
Katherine Waterston regarding Alien: Covenant sequel (Read 24,969 times)

Necronomicon II

Covenant is not the most digestible or pithy sub-title for the general movie going public. Add in weird scenes of erotic fluting/misanthropy and it was never going to light up the box-office. All things considered it did ok.

Ingwar

Ingwar

Genre isn't the main factor, however it affects movie's box office. The most important thing is quality which is mainly based (at least in Scott's case) upon the script. Give Ridley great script and he'll nail it: Gladiator, Kingdom of Heaven, American Gangster or The Marian.

Evanus

I don't think the quality of a film is the deciding factor when it comes to how good it does at the box office.

Huggs

Quote from: Evanus on Jan 23, 2019, 10:40:21 PM
I don't think the quality of a film is the deciding factor when it comes to how good it does at the box office.

As seen with Blade Runner 2049. Then you'll have a movie like Avatar. A technical showpiece that'll make all the money in the world, but is narratively bankrupt. Or franchise movies like Fallen Kingdom and Star Wars.

Ingwar

Quality is not just how the movie looks. Quality for me is the story itself with its characters, dialogues, tension, pacing and so on. Quality in overall. Prometheus and Covenant don't have that quality.

Necronomicon II

[erotic fluting]

Evanus

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 24, 2019, 11:19:01 AM

Quality is not just how the movie looks. Quality for me is the story itself with its characters, dialogues, tension, pacing and so on. Quality in overall. Prometheus and Covenant don't have that quality.
Sure..? But that doesn't mean that's why Covenant didn't do well at the box office.

Ingwar

Then why Covenant didn't do well a the box office?

Evanus

Quote from: Ingwar on Jan 24, 2019, 09:33:27 PM
Then why Covenant didn't do well a the box office?

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 23, 2019, 12:03:49 AM
Yeah, marketing was huge. But Fox are silly though; putting huge amounts of money into and expecting big financial results for a nihilistic horror monster film no one is taking their kids or grandparents to see. It still did well considering the franchise's reputation and its restrictions as a genre, however.

Quote from: PsyKore on Jan 23, 2019, 10:57:07 AM
I disagree. Genre definitely is a factor. Covenant was marketed like a slasher film, to be like a classic Alien movie, with emphasis on gore and the return of the classic creature. Prometheus, even though it's related to the franchise, had much more broader appeal because it wasn't sold like a slasher.

Quote from: Necronomicon II on Jan 23, 2019, 02:28:50 PM
Covenant is not the most digestible or pithy sub-title for the general movie going public. Add in weird scenes of erotic fluting/misanthropy and it was never going to light up the box-office. All things considered it did ok.

The Old One

The Old One

Lacklustre trailers, title.
With the awareness that Prometheus was crap, a sense of "Oh you won't fool me this time, Ridley Scott!" was in the air,
which most likely contributed to it's decrease in commercial success despite IMO, being a superior film in the narrative.
And a concept that we'd seen before.
(From the trailers perspective.)

It's more easy to see why audiences didn't have a interest when you compare it to what Prometheus did have.

Prometheus' the return of Ridley Scott to Sci-Fi, a cast of hot new stars and an return to sense of legitimacy in that Prometheus was described as it's own thing in the Alien Universe, the complete opposite of the abortion of AVP/AVPR people had suffered five years prior- that had little to do with the series history creatively, aesthetically, narratively or thematically beyond the creature itself. 

Evanus

I'd say that's quite accurate, yeah. Except Prometheus wasn't crap.  ::)

The Old One

The Old One

Quote from: Evanus on Jan 24, 2019, 10:37:47 PM

Yeah, it is.

Evanus

Quote from: The Old One on Jan 24, 2019, 11:14:16 PM
Quote from: Evanus on Jan 24, 2019, 10:37:47 PM

Yeah, it is.

:P

The Old One

The Old One

Yeah...

Trust me, I more than anyone would've loved for Prometheus to be good
and for a long time I was infatuated with the idea that it was
and people simply didn't understand it, but it isn't.

It's still more interesting than the vast majority of films that are "good"
(passable) but it itself, is not good.

Evanus

Oof

Well, it's obviously a flawed film like Covenant but the visuals, special effects, music and acting (Fassbender mostly) is why I still love it. I guess it's sort of a matter of opinion anyway.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed