William Gibson's Alien 3

Started by Ultramorph, Apr 26, 2018, 08:06:32 PM

Author
William Gibson's Alien 3 (Read 150,685 times)

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2020, 08:25:28 AMBeen saying this all along! The adaptation is incredibly faithful to the script.

Yeah, I really hadn't realised. It's been so long since I read the script, and between that and confusing bits with the first draft I hadn't clocked just how close the comic is.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2020, 08:25:28 AMAnd agreed on the dropships. But I'm not sure the Defiant-like design would have been incredibly better.

Tbh anything would have been better in my eyes. If we're taking the script's Cold War allusions to heart, the idea the UPP would be using the same equipment as the UA is completely ridiculous and implausible.

Quote from: Corporal Hicks on Jan 29, 2020, 08:25:28 AMThe script says Uzi-like, not Uzi's. This is a criticism I do agree with. It'd have been better if Johnie had gone a step further with that, making it look something more futuristic the way the Pulse Rifle is just a shell over Thompson.

And yeah, this too. Would've been nice to see a little more imagination, rather than having them using weapons that are over 225 years old. Again, shades of implausible.

But other than those gripes, I enjoyed the comic a lot more second time around. The final issue still feels a bit rushed, but having it side-by-side with the script made it a lot easier to follow.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I'd have even been okay with the UPP interceptor resembling a USCM dropship so long as there were visible differences.  After all, the Soviets made knockoffs of American military hardware during the Cold War.  Just look at the MiG-25 Foxbat.

But I'd still prefer a space Hind and a dressed-up AK over the Uzi.

SM

SM

Implausible.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

I always pictured the interior of Anchorpoint as looking like the sets from Outland.  Especially Dr. Lazarus' medical station.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: SM on Jan 29, 2020, 08:31:04 PMhttps://media1.tenor.com/images/1956ae93bd211caf2930c6d393113ead/tenor.gif?itemid=11798237
Implausible.

I knew you were going to bring that up ;D

Hicks' shotgun kind of is implausible tbh, but at least the novelisation tries to explain it away as a family heirloom handed down through the generations. It's something Hicks brings along, not front-line military equipment.

SM

SM

:laugh:

Vermillion

Vermillion

Quote from: Local Trouble on Jan 29, 2020, 05:49:22 PM
I'd have even been okay with the UPP interceptor resembling a USCM dropship so long as there were visible differences.  After all, the Soviets made knockoffs of American military hardware during the Cold War.  Just look at the MiG-25 Foxbat.

But I'd still prefer a space Hind and a dressed-up AK over the Uzi.
Planes can only look a certain way.  They will all resemble one another.

Plus the MiG-25 is huge compared to the F-15

Boeing Airbus. 

Wright brother vs Da Vinci.

Airwolf vs Blue Thunder

The Old One

The Old One

Or that ancient model being present in Aliens is just ridiculous, don't repeat it in future material, thank you.

SiL

SiL

Sheesh, wait till you find out about their service pistols.

HuDaFuK

HuDaFuK

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 30, 2020, 01:10:55 PMPlanes can only look a certain way.  They will all resemble one another.

Spacecraft can basically look like whatever the f*ck you want them to look like. There's no aerodynamics to consider.

Did the Space Shuttle look like Orion?

Did the Sulaco look like the Nostromo?

Quote from: SiL on Jan 30, 2020, 02:36:11 PMSheesh, wait till you find out about their service pistols.

Meh, the VP70 kinda flies because a) it's obscure enough that I'm not sure I've ever seen one in another film, and b) it's pretty sci-fi lookin' anyway. Vasquez's Smith & Wesson is a bit harder to justify, but I guess a lot of pistols look kinda similar at the end of the day. So you can kinda take those as something more time-period appropriate.

The Uzi's so ubiquitous I can't really see it as anything other than a 20th century Uzi.

SiL

SiL

All modern spacecraft are designed with aerodynamics in mind on account of all the air they have to pass through on takeoff. There's a reason space shuttles look like planes.

I mean I get your general point.

The Cruentus

The Cruentus

Old fashioned guns are not too implausible though, if they function and could be used as a side-arm then why not? Some people do use old weapons like revolvers.

The impression I get from the alien universe, atleast the first two is that they don't waste tech, ships are all fitted with old monitors and keyboards, granted the real reason is obviously due to the real life era and available tech but it does make you think about the in-universe reason for it all.

Local Trouble

Local Trouble

Dropships have to be at least somewhat aerodynamic in order to perform their intended function as trans-atmospheric aerospace transports.  I'm not convinced that a UPP interceptor would share those same requirements though.

Quote from: Vermillion on Jan 30, 2020, 01:10:55 PM
Plus the MiG-25 is huge compared to the F-15

You're more of a VF-1J guy.

KiramidHead

KiramidHead

I'm picturing a futuristic Lethal Weapon 2 with Pesci going "A lot old timers carry bullet guns, I bet the young guy has lasers!"

Corporal Hicks

Corporal Hicks

The Interceptor is still just a Longsword from Halo in my head.

AvPGalaxy: About | Contact | Cookie Policy | Manage Cookie Settings | Privacy Policy | Legal Info
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Patreon RSS Feed